Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nascar driver Tony Stewart hits and kills fellow racer

I am just puzzled as to why it is taking so long for them to gather evidence and file charges against him. To me the video and past precedent is strongly indicative of a case to answer with that one.

wizard993 said:
Previous controversy from 2012 that on reflection does not do Stewart any favours.

"Stewart has jumped out of his car before, just like Ward did on Saturday, following collisions that have made him angry.

One such collision in August 2012 left Stewart utterly furious during a race in Tennessee. Stewart threw his helmet at Matt Kenseth's car and the helmet hit the vehicle as it drove past.

Following the incident, Stewart infamously said something that in the light of this recent incident does not reflect kindly on him.

'I checked up twice not to run over him. And I learned my lesson there, and I'm going to run over him every chance I got until the end of the year. Every chance I got," Stewart told CBS News afterwards."

and there is more.....

February 2000, Daytona "” Stewart and Robby Gordon got into each other on the track and in the garage during Speedweeks, with Stewart slapping at Gordon during a confrontation in the garage.

August 2000, Watkins Glen "” Stewart and Jeff Gordon were involved in a post-race war of words in the garage after a crash. The two were separated by crew members.

March 2001, Bristol "” Gordon spun Stewart in the closing laps of the Bristol spring race. Stewart spun out Gordon on pit road after the race.

July 2001, Daytona "” The NASCAR media experienced Stewart's emotion first-hand as Stewart slapped a tape recorder out of a reporter's hand and kicked it under a team hauler. Stewart also got into a confrontation with Cup series director Gary Nelson. Stewart was fined $10,000 and placed on probation through season's end.

August 2002, Indianapolis "” Stewart shoved a photographer at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and was placed on probation.

June 2004, Sonoma "” Stewart was placed on probation after an altercation with Brian Vickers following the race. Described Vickers, "He hit the armrest and he reached in the car and he grabbed me in the chest and when he did, (he) hit me."

March 2005, Bristol "” Stewart was fined $5,000 after intentionally hitting Vickers following a Busch Series race. He was placed on probation until year's end.

August 2006, Pocono "” Stewart had a crash and dispute with Clint Bowyer on the track and after the race, hitting Bowyer's car on the cool-down lap. Stewart later claimed full responsibility.

June 2007, Dover "” Stewart was involved in an on-track incident with Kurt Busch. Busch responded by charging at Stewart's car on pit road and almost hitting a member of Stewart's pit crew.

February 2008, Daytona "” Stewart was involved in a crash during practice with Busch, and they banged into each other on pit road. Afterward, Stewart allegedly punched Busch in a NASCAR hauler.

December 2011, Australia "” Stewart is briefly jailed after throwing a helmet at and then fighting Parramatta City Raceway co-owner Brett Morris. Morris did not press charges but said, "I don't care who Tony Stewart is, if he wants to come to Australia and throw a helmet, he'd better learn to fight."

August 2012, Bristol "” After being involved in a crash with Matt Kenseth, Stewart launches his helmet at Kenseth's car when it passed on pit road.

:nooo:

Do you work for the Daily Mail Wiz? That reads like he is the only racing driver ever to get angry. At least it wasnt cold, pre meditated and calculated attempted harm like Ayrton Senna driving into Prost at Suzuka.

The Update on this...

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2014/9/24/tony-stewart-grand-jury-no-charges.html

No indictment for NASCAR driver in sprint car tragedy

Deciding that there was insufficient evidence to warrant criminal charges, an Ontario County (New York) grand jury will not bring any charges against NASCAR champion Tony Stewart for his involvement in a sprint car accident during an Aug. 9 race at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park that fatally injured fellow driver Kevin Ward Jr.

Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo held a news conference Wednesday afternoon to deliver the findings, ultimately saying that "there was no evidence to charge Tony Stewart with a crime."

He said the grand jury examined the evidence and heard from two dozen witnesses for "the better part of two days" before reaching its conclusion.

Not enough evidence to ensure a prosecution does not mean innocence.

"March 2005, Bristol "” Stewart was fined $5,000 after intentionally hitting Vickers following a Busch Series race. He was placed on probation until year's end."

wizard993 said:
Not enough evidence to ensure a prosecution does not mean innocence.

Indeed. Personally I suspect that the fact that the lad had marijuana in his system made it a virtual certainty that Stewart's legal team would beat any charge filed. That probably also rules out a civil suit as well.

Seems this tragic story hasn't quite run its course yet...

BBC News said:
Nascar star Tony Stewart sued over Kevin Ward death

The family of a racing driver who was struck and killed by Nascar star Tony Stewart has filed a wrongful death suit against him.

Kevin Ward, 20, died after he got out of his car in the middle of a road race in New York in August 2014 and was hit by Mr Stewart's vehicle.

The Ward family has accused him of acting with "reckless and malicious intent and negligence" and is suing for unspecified damages.

Mr Stewart was not criminally charged.

In a statement, Mr Ward's parents Kevin and Pamela said: "Our hope is that this lawsuit will hold Tony Stewart responsible for killing our son and show him there are real consequences when someone recklessly takes another person's life."

A court hearing in September heard that Mr Ward was under the influence of marijuana on the night of the accident.

He had "enough to impair judgment", according to Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo.

Full story here: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33830268

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back