Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo / 997 Turbo - Comparisons.

Just to prove that front 3/4 shot wasn't a fluke :D

Yup, as Lyle Lovett would say, 'Ugly from the front'. I certainly wouldn't want to climb in it straight after this shot and drive 500 miles :nooo:

84153a181b060b651aefad09dd8e0401_zps8g42xsp9.jpg

Oh hang on....I did..... :grin:

Some nice pictures and some clearly very loved cars, I'm just not feeling it guys.

I'm still in shock that a 996 is considered better looking than a 997!!

:dont know:

I've nothing against the 997 turbo FWIW and hope to own a Gen 2 turbo S one day. And sure it's newer (and therefore an improvement). But it's hardly the leap forward (brace for sucking of luddite teeth aplenty from the garage queen brigade) that the 996 was over the 993 :dont know:

This thread like a few others recently stinks on 997T owners cringing at the fact the 996T is growing in value and the 997 isn't moving much. Guys I know it hurt that you sold your 996T's for less than their current value, and I'm sure it stinks more that the 997T you paid vastly more for isn't doing the same at the moment but these things happen. I expect the 997T will increase eventually so have no fear, I just suspect the market has woken up to the once undervalued 996T

As for looks/driving experience etc.. Unfortunately the 997 just wasn't that great a leap forward which means owners can and do prefer one over the other. From what I've seen on forums the majority prefer the oval headlights of the 997 and prefer the bum of the 996, which I agree with on both counts. I actually think neither cars are photogenic, the 996 less so due to its braver styling. If I don't see my car for a while and just see photos I convince myself it's not that pretty, but if I go and look at it I feel completely different, I even like the headlights!!

Enjoy your cars, and stop trying to prove to others one is better or more valuable to the other.

:sleepy:

JohnnyDangerous said:
kas750 said:
JohnnyDangerous said:
kas750 said:
I absolutely loved and I mean loved driving my 996 Turbo..but I honestly couldn't look at the front from any distance.I hated how it looked.I hated the big daft grills at the front.I actually don't mind a standard 996 from the front and particularly the earlier models with the fried egg headlamps but my turbo looked horrendous from that aspect.That said I bought it when they were incredible value and now they are less so.I am sure I will look back in years to come and think the front looks good but when I owned one I think it sucked.

What about a GT2?
That's a great point and I'm glad you mentioned it as the stylist of the GT2 managed to cheat the angles with the PU design which makes the 996 GT2 one of the prettiest 911's ever.

And it is a 996 Turbo still? Hmmm cat amongst the pigeons LOL Now Bobas car isnt stock so lets put it up against a modded 996 with GT2 front, hell for giggles Ill park next to Boba at the next ace meet we can both get to and we can take votes, New996buyer can organise and see how the public and other 911 model owners vote! can I use my anti-lag :thumbs:
Its a very personal thing but I can't look at a 996 turbo or C4S and think it looks ok from the front.I like every other aspect including the interior but the front end spoiled it for me.

Look what your started Terry. Good write up and good banter gentlemen. :thumb:

996 / 997 comparisons

I am lovin this, such a well thought out start to the tread and look where we are at now, apologies, i have been lurking for so long, but just to wade in

Boba, JD, NewBuyer, any one at the Ace soon in fact, I will bring my car too (it will be back in my hands within the week as at the garage presently) and we will park a row of "classic" 996's turbos next to a row of non classic 997's turbos and see what happens !!

Now dont get me wrong, i have nothing against a 997 as have no exposure to one. However even if modified, customed, etc, i have noticed a lot at shows a 996 turbo gets a hell of a lot of attention, now add in a little set of nice wheels, shiney paint and there you have it. However all this talk talk, i drive my car and am very happy with it. BTW, the 996 arse is nicer than a 997 as is a 996 GT2 front end...hands down, end of simples ! Take a looksie

See https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h74twyictw2gsxn/AADIRpjJAqOWUnuL6xx6nyZNa?oref=e

Attachments

• porsche996turbo_19_510.jpg
    porsche996turbo_19_510.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 7,164
I wonder if its due to a 997 turbo looking very similar to the rest of the range? Was there a NB 997? If there was ignore this post :) .

chriscoates81 said:
I wonder if its due to a 997 turbo looking very similar to the rest of the range? Was there a NB 997? If there was ignore this post :) .

You've obviously never seen a 997T next to a Carrera 2/2S from the rear.

The Turbo, 4wd cars and the GTS have an extra 44mm. I'm not sure about GT cars. It does make a difference. :wink:

MOD EDIT:

The lengthy discussion about which car looks best have been moved to this thread.

==> 996T / 997T Preferences

T8 said:
chriscoates81 said:

You've obviously never seen a 997T next to a Carrera 2/2S from the rear.

The Turbo, 4wd cars and the GTS have an extra 44mm. I'm not sure about GT cars. It does make a difference. :wink:

Ok i want sure as they aren't as 'commn' as the 996 variants round here.

Bookmarking this sorry!

997 t rear looks pretty good IMO :D

Attachments

• img_0323_146.jpg
    img_0323_146.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 3,944
  • img_0007_635.jpeg
    img_0007_635.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 3,944

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads