Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo / 997 Turbo - Comparisons.

No one can and should argue with your opinion, as it's, well your 'opinion'. But your logical consistency?? Well that's fair game! :grin:

Boba fett said:
They are older, slower, uglier, have a dated flakyier interior build, less economic, less better for the environment, have older tech, have more trim rattles, does not handle so well....etc....etc

Sure the 997 is an improvement because.......the 997 is an improvement of the 996 platform. Not sure many people doubt that the 997 offers improvements, not least Terry......

And using your own logic therefore a 996 turbo is a substantial step forward from the turbos that came before....? Yet instead you claim:

Boba fett said:
Some of this cant be said about the older air cooled cars, they where pretty and had character.

However quite a lot of it can be said about the older air cooled cars. They are older, slower, have dated interiors, less economical, are poorer for the environment, have older tech, and don't handle so well. You also forgot less stiff, poorer handling, less comfortable to drive, less practical, and more expensive and difficult to maintain.

Sure we can all use the catch me all euphemism 'character' to describe the shortcomings......... :roll:

And it's also why Terry suggests above that a 993 turbo instead of both a 996 AND a 997 turbo wouldn't be his preferred choice.

Not sure it's walking on egg shells at all. What's been said so far just sounds like common sense to me......... :wink:

The word uglier missed was quite important.

For 9 years I have had petrol heads, purists and freinds say it's not the nicest 911, what was Porsche thinking, it's a step in the wrong direction, looks like a boxster, fried eggs for lights.

No ones denying its great car, it is, but it is the ugly sister. Up or down in the generations of 911 are far prettier.

That is quite important.

Boba fett said:
Crikey there is some walking on egg shells going here...

:grin: I was mindful of the fact that I posted this on the 996 sub-forum. :wink:

+ I think 'ugly' is a bit harsh.

When I bought mine I had a choice between either 996 or 997. I decided against the 991 because I don't do car finance.

Cost aside at the time my personal view is that the 997 is a step backwards aesthetically over the 996. This has been rectified somewhat in the 991.

See two turbos together 996/7 and the ugly sister is the newer car (by far!).

I'm not convinced about the interior either. Sure it has less rattles (a good thing), and heavier feeling clunkier (i.e. a feeling of better build quality) doors etc.... but other than that it is just a facelift. Compared to the 991 it itself is already dated.

At least the 996 interior is becoming cool.... rather than looking like a mondeo......

The headlights might not be the best Porsche has ever made but the rear end IS the best rear Porsche has ever made.

This is fact, not my opinion - as it is evidence based research*

NM

*Research done by myself against a broad section** of Porsche owners.
**Broad section being just myself.

Side silhouette is prob identical 997/6 front view the 7 prob just nicks it, rear view no chance 6 all the way, Interior well :floor: never was a mondeo man :hand: As for the drive all the 997's ive driven just well do it for you a little too much for me, my 6 reminds me constantly its a spiteful bitch !!!! Bit like a 1000cc bike from the early 2000's compared to now the early bike you knew you were riding, the later one not so much, too many aids !!!!

Boba fett said:
Nastymatt said:
The headlights might not be the best Porsche has ever made but the rear end IS the best rear Porsche has ever made.

NM

Come on - are you high!!

I find the 996t the best rear there is (in turbo terms), it's uncomplicated yet purposeful, squat and aggresive without going too 'Carlos Fandango', it's not a swathe of plastic and is a classic 911 shape.

And to show my colours I actually think the 964t is THE best turbo shape as an overall package - but I still think the 996t rear end better. I am not going to go through each model to say why - as I love all 911t's.

Boba fett said:
Ill try one more picture.......

Ironically while it's a nice ass, it's more Jango than Boba :wink:

Just like Boba, the first one we saw was the best....... :wink:

Boba fett said:
Nastymatt said:
Boba fett said:
Nastymatt said:

NM

Come on - are you high!!

I find the 996t the best rear there is (in turbo terms), it's uncomplicated yet purposeful, squat and aggresive without going too 'Carlos Fandango', it's not a swathe of plastic and is a classic 911 shape.

And to show my colours I actually think the 964t is THE best turbo shape as an overall package - but I still think the 996t rear end better. I am not going to go through each model to say why - as I love all 911t's.

Ill try one more picture.......

Me too

MC

e6048c73491f9b73951233795d0ff6eb_zpsgs4wjlqy.jpg

Boba.

Yep, have to say, the 996 Turbo really doesn't look all that, does it...?!

(Especially from the front 3/4) :hand:

Bag o' shite. Give you £10k for it.

Too much is said sbout how the cars look, which I can understand on a visual forum like this. I have had my 996 turbo for nearly 5 years, I can't think of any reason why I would change for a 997. From where I sit the headlights work just fine.
MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back