Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

sports plus button retrofit

I have no idea what the dynamic engine mounts actually do but having been at Porsche Hatfield today the head technician told me that the sports chrono was all about the chrono and that it only gave the impression of the car being faster because you didn't have to push the pedal down as far to get the same acceleration but that in reality the car was no faster (you just had to push the pedal down further). He also said that if you pushed the pedal flat to the floor there was then no difference whatever mode you were in as "flat out was flat out".

On the way back on the A1 I floored it. it kicked down to 4th and quite honestly the acceleration (without the sports button on) was unbelievable and it stayed in 4th until i took my foot off (wont say what speed I got up to).

I've got sport chrono on mine, and to be honest if I'm on it I generally drive I. Sport. Engine mounts are stiffer and changes are quicker, but you can change up with some lock on without upsetting the chassis.
In sport plus, the changes are like a 17 year old showing off how fast his gear changes are to his mates. It's bloody horrible. It'll have the arse end squirming on a 2nd to 3rd change even in a straight line on dry Tarmac.

It'll be marginally quicker on a 1/4 mile strip due to the insanely fast changes, but they're not nice and it feels like it would eventually break something.
So the only bit worth having is the dynamic mounts. Clock is worthless, and sport plus changes are not remotely smooth. Sport manual is the best mode, and you get that standard with pdk.

Looking at the Porsche Approved Car locator most 991's seems to have Sports Chrono. I assume most people do not use their car on the track so personally cannot see they would ever use sports chrono (not much point in red-lining on normal roads) but worried it could affect resale value as most people seem to spec it and so want it. Surprisingly this also seems true for cabrios which are even less likely to see a track.

I asked Porsche Hatfield who say a retrofit is unlikely as amongst other things it would need different shock absorbers which need to be fitted at the factory??? I am confused as why it is available on a 997.2 but cannot be offered for a 991? What does it not do on a 997.2??

In fairness i have sports plus on my 991 , and never use it even if im having childing race down the back roads etc , sports mode is as good in most day to day trips and sudden blasts , never once tried launch control , if your not tracking it its pointless to have isnt it ?

I looked at the Porsche Used Car Locator to see the percentage that have sport chrono and those that don't. I was surprised that the percentage (20%) was the same for coupes and cabriolets. Of 39 cars 8 did not have sports chrono, of which 2 out of 9 were cabriolets.

Do 80% of Porsche drivers really expect to take the car onto the track?

I think the "it's for the track" cry is a bit misleading. Why add half the options and not track the car?

Chrono makes the car feel more focused. While I agree that Sports Plus is a bit harsh for road driving it does make the car just that little bit harder edged at the press of a button, it's nice to have the choice.

It is the engine mounts that just edge it for me, adding "feel", noise and vibration. And I also like the clock, so it's a must have for me. But I accept that's not everyones cup of tea.

But of course it's all subjective.....

Tom

I have a Cayman s for a couple of days with sports chrono. When i push the button I get what I can only describe as a harsh (not in a good way) sound from the engine and although the revs went into the red it looked like it was not going to ever change gear so i changed it back to sports mode. Apart from that I could feel no difference in power at all. Certainly not for use on normal roads.

Ray, it doesn't change the power output, just the settings of the gear box (PDK), the throttle response, the dynamic engine mounts and the steering.

Ray O said:
Certainly not for use on normal roads.

Guess if you live in urban or built-up areas, then Sports+ may not be the best practical option. :what:

But where I live with fast A roads and the twisty stuff, then Sports+ certainly heightens the overall experience without ever going near a track - throttle response much more aggressive and chassis dynamics more taut. 8)

Unless you are on the race track i don't see how. You can't red line on a normal road???

Ray O said:
Unless you are on the race track i don't see how. You can't red line on a normal road???

You do not need to red line in every gear. You can change gear manually when ever you like. Just have sports plus chassis and throttle response. And of course a lot less PCM assistance.

Ray, I don't understand. Sports plus has very little to do with red lining anything?

Sports plus is about so much more than a higher red line.

I tried it in a Cayman S and I found NO difference in power, a horrible noise from the engine and it didn't change gear until well into the red. I cannot see any point in it in town driving. It may be great for the track but as i have no intention of driving my car on a track cannot see that I would ever use it. You can change manually but I can equally do that in sports mode with PSM pressed but also cannot see the point of PSM on a normal road and to be honest apart from the light on the dash felt no difference.

i think that i have answered my own question. Is it necessary? No, not for normal town driving. In sports mode the car absolutely flies, the engine sounds great and if I want it to change later I can just flip it into manual.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back