Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RSR mufflers- yay or nay?

........ er ........ because I am "out to lunch" the day before ......... I might be a doubtful but I might ask to cadge a lift ........ :)

Pickled Piper said:
Had mine for several years. Highly recommended. Coupled with the Motorsound air box, they make the 993 sound like it should.
:bandit:

This ^^^. I love them. I sent mine off to him to be done. Took them off and put them back on. Prepare yourself whilst they're away by buying new clamps ready for the install.
From sending them off to getting them back took less than a week.

Don't be daunted either by how they sound or how hard it is to take off and replace, I've very little mechanical knowledge and I found it easy though a bit time consuming as most things were rusted up. I just cut the old clamps off where I could.

Sound wise I was worried that they would sound too loud and too boomy, neither was true, they IMO sound fab.

One thing I remember the first time I started her up at home, my wife's Alfa was parked less than four feet away and it set off her car alarm off. Which was coolio :)

With the motor sound box as well I think they sound great. Saying that if you haven't done the motor sound box yet, the car sounds a lot better with just that installed.

Am really looking forward to getting these done. Have had a chat with a guy i know and am tempted to take boxes off myself and get them cut open and sorted locally. Hes fairly happy to take on the welding up so might be worth a go as Gert hasn't any in at present.
My friend had a drive today and his comments were the car is beautiful and drives like a good un but is a bit quiet and refined lol!

I'm a little surprised by your answer. You don't mind taking them off and sending them somewhere local, but you do not want to take them off and send them to Gert to do his magic, though I appreciate Gert cutting them about isn't cheap!!

Fair enough having it done locally, and I have no idea if your local knows what Gert does, but if he doesn't, then why bother. If they come back sounding cool then great, but if they come back sounding bad, then what's the point, even if saves you money?

He hasnt got any available and im going on a driving holiday soon thats all and would like em done before i go tbh thats all. I can probably get them done locally and turned round in a day or two if needed and without the wait and hassle of sending my boxes back on exchange. Ive had a similar job done previously on some stainless boxes but made with removable panels so i can re-pack them as required and there isnt a lot going on generally inside mufflers, just a perforated baffle tube and fibreglass type packing generally. After 20 yrs almost im suprised how quiet mine are i suspect they will be packed full of crap lol.
If gert had some in I'd have already bought them this week and be excitedly waiting to get them :)

Another thing to remember they take a hundred or so miles before they bed in sound wise ......... :)

When I had mine done I took a trip over to visit Gert and had some other work done at the same time ........ :)

madalaa said:
Another thing to remember they take a hundred or so miles before they bed in sound wise ......... :)

When I had mine done I took a trip over to visit Gert and had some other work done at the same time ........ :)

I bet thats a nice trip tbh :)
We are off soon to drive to the hebrides and tour the nw corner of Scotland in it so ideally I'm hoping to get them sorted before i go. Wife might not appreciate extra noise lol. I have quite a few events planned now in july and was hoping to turn em round quite quickly thats all. :thumb:
Its chucking it down here now or I'd be tempted to get out and remove em and see what can be done.

off and ready

An hours work using a jack on my drive and they are both off. Also did a before and after clean up of the exhaust tips with metal polish and fine wire wool.
Quite an easy job removing as all the clamps and fixings are new. Drivers side box wasnt actually clamped up tight which wasnt good given it had been to a porsche indy for 300 quids worth of exhaust work prior to my picking it up.

Off to hopefully get them sorted by midweek and back on for the weekend run out. Boxes suprisingly heavy so obviously got lots of packing and baffles within.

One top tip- you simply must try the car briefly without rear mufflers. The sound is to die for! Not sure neighbours approve but drove it back in my garage and for 30s it sounded like a full race GT1 ☺😊😀😁

Attachments

• 2015_06_28_192905_268.jpg
    2015_06_28_192905_268.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 7,140
  • 2015_06_28_192821_471.jpg
    2015_06_28_192821_471.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 7,140
jonttt said:
Sport airbox
RSRs
Wayne remap

The perfect sound for a na 993 :thumb:

Not seen the other thread referred to but have you seen my journal vids for the comparable sounds ps more realistic if you listen on something with some base

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82158&start=558
endorse that plus 100 or 200 cell cats. I have the Cargraphic x-flow 100 cell cats but I can weld better than that. If you want really nicely made exhaust with neighbor annoying exhaust try Fabspeed

Endoman said:
jonttt said:
Sport airbox
RSRs
Wayne remap

The perfect sound for a na 993 :thumb:

Not seen the other thread referred to but have you seen my journal vids for the comparable sounds ps more realistic if you listen on something with some base

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82158&start=558
endorse that plus 100 or 200 cell cats. I have the Cargraphic x-flow 100 cell cats but I can weld better than that. If you want really nicely made exhaust with neighbor annoying exhaust try Fabspeed

The cats had some surface corrosion and the heat shield is a bit shonky and would beed cutting off as the bilts are corroded. Rest of underside i could see wasnt too bad. Some minor surface corrosion on a few steel bits but nothing major. Bumper stays were reasonable. Put some wax protection on them and chassis legs etc.
Probably need ramps to tackle cats heat shield when ready. Mufflers will hopefully be a bit lighter going back up!

Well rightly or wrongly they are in the hands of a guy i know who is going to open them up and have a play. I've asked him to gut them and leave some of the perforated baffles only in with no packing. Hopefully get em back and fit for weekend will report back on results. Worse case scenario is whip em back off and re- pack as i have some spare glass fibre exhaust wadding anyway. Not done as a pure cost thing purely for ease with it being a local guy and quick turn round. :thumb:

Chris, hope this works out for you! Getting my RSRs fitted tomorrow, I really hope they live up to my expectations. Already got the Motorsound Airbox fitted.

ARP said:
Chris, hope this works out for you! Getting my RSRs fitted tomorrow, I really hope they live up to my expectations. Already got the Motorsound Airbox fitted.

Think they will be fine. My kit car exhausts are 3" with hardly any baffles or wadding since we did them and are fitted behind sports cats. The noise is about right at 103db and not too intrusive. Wasn't hard taking them off. Wish i could leave them off thought the noise is fabulous lol! Good luck with your fitment tomorrow post up sound clip if poss?

Powerspeed over in Kent can do this as a drive in service.

After they fitted 200cel cats the noise had already increased by a few dbs so I opted to leave it as is in case I failed any track day tests.

Looking at the exhaust layout yesterday other than rusty bolts n clamps on the cat clamps etc it doesnt look too bad to get the exhaust off.
Already impressed with how well the car is bolted together from what i can see with limited access. Having mine up on ramps soon to have a good clean round and see if any waxoyl type protection needed underneath. It had plugs leads and dizzy caps etc within last few thousand miles from what i recall. Cat heat shield is only obvious job at rear i can see. Saw the fabled chassis legs rear yesterday although partially hidden by covers etc. Nothing obvious rusty or hanging off :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back