Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thank heavens for a Porsche Warranty

Result Terry!

I have had 3 automatic cars, all had problems

Audi - infamous flashing PRNDS lights/ loss of drive - new ECU £1500
Volvo XC90 (T5 turbo petrol) 4 speed GM derived box - forums full of horror stories
Porsche Cayenne - 1 year old - new valve chest under OPC warranty

The Range Rover I have now isn't particularly happy on hard kick downs, but I live with it ...

Glad my 997 is manual, so just the engine to worry about :sad:

I agree that whatever the cause, it is a good result for Terry.

I also agree that Porsche have been a joke for a long time for their inability/unwillingness to repair these parts and instead opt for replacement only. I wonder how many mugs without a warranty have coughed up £10k+ for OPC to replace the tranny for the sake of a £10 gasket...

There are plenty of mugs around..... and almost as many mugs with money.....

Also the info from JD above is top class, unfortunately the link for the gasket appears dry so here is the link to the UK supplier for the gaskets:

http://www.autolinkautomatics.com/mercedes-722-6-transfer-case-gasket-porsche-large.html

New996buyer said:
Btw can you explain the line 'I persuaded the previous owner'...? Did you haggle it as a condition of sale in other words....? If it's £1100 that's a really good bargaining point indeed - nice one and as Wasz says brilliant for the history file :grin:

The car was due for a major service and I wanted the warranty for my own peace of mind (man maths told me that paying a 2.5% premium was worthwhile).

I agreed to contribute 2/3 of the cost of getting the car how I wanted it and as this worked out as a far better deal for the seller than they'd been offered before they were happy to sort it.

T8 said:
The car was due for a major service and I wanted the warranty for my own peace of mind (man maths told me that paying a 2.5% premium was worthwhile).

I agreed to contribute 2/3 of the cost of getting the car how I wanted it and as this worked out as a far better deal for the seller than they'd been offered before they were happy to sort it.

Sweet - good to share all these tactics :thumb:

T8 said:
New996buyer said:
I'm an idiot as I'd read that as you'd actually gotten a good deal.... :duh:

No comment. :wink:

As far as the deal went I ended up with a car with perfect fpsh including a very recent 'major' and a 12 month OPC warranty, for about £4k less than it would cost me if I was buying it from a dealer today.

The seller and me were both happy. :D

So you did get a good deal.....? :?

I'm now very confused......or are you just trying to avoid giving Madalaa the chance to say it was a 'happy ending' for you both..... :wink:

T8 said:
I wonder how much having the warranty has saved me. :?:

I know now. Answer = Over £14k.

...... Wowza!! ....... but of course if you did not have the warranty it seems there would have been a cheaper option ....... :)

madalaa said:
...... Wowza!! ....... but of course if you did not have the warranty it seems there would have been a cheaper option ....... :)

True. The 'cheaper option' would have cost about the same as the pre-warranty bits that were done + the price I paid for the warranty so, at this point in time, I'd be about even.

BUT ........... from today ......... I've still got 8 months OPC warranty on the car and the massive 'peace of mind' which that brings.

AND ......... I've got a whole new gearbox instead of the 8 year old / 50k mile one I did have.

All-in-all this is me ==> :D

I am certainly not disagreeing Terry ...... you are in a win win situation ........ I will henceforth call you golden balls ....... amongst other less salubrious soubriquets ....... ;)

£14k??? And I thought the £6k bill for the SMG on my M5 (under warranty) was pricey. Great result for you though!

Also aren't these Mezger cars supposed to be bulletproof with no £8k engine rebuilds etc? :grin:

Shaoxter said:
...... aren't these Mezger cars supposed to be bulletproof with no £8k engine rebuilds etc? :grin:

Fortunately there's a big difference between a Mezger engine and a Mercedes gearbox. :grin:

I 'saved' another couple of hundred quid yesterday in finally getting my intermittent 'Spoiler Failure Control' issue sorted out.

Since I got the car once in about six trips has resulted in the spoiler staying up and a really annoying bleep/dash message occurring every time the car went above an indicated 74 mph and again every time it went below 74mph.

No fault codes were stored so I needed to wait until it was actually doing it on a day when I could take it in to the OPC with the spoiler permanently up.

A faulty microswitch was the diagnosis but in typical Porsche fashion the part is not available separately and comes as part of a wiring loom!

I don't know how much it cost but when added to the 1.5 hours that the car was in the workshop I'm pleased that I was just able to drive it away afterwards.

One thing worth doing before the end of the warranty will be to get the car in for the 111 point check even if you have no intention of renewing. Mine has just been in and the check turned up leaking diff seals, but I was renewing this time round anyway.

Be prepared to haggle on the price of the check though as I was offered as low as £60, with others at around £130, and others refusing to budge.

T8 said:
A faulty microswitch was the diagnosis but in typical Porsche fashion the part is not available separately and comes as part of a wiring loom!

I don't know how much it cost but when added to the 1.5 hours that the car was in the workshop I'm pleased that I was just able to drive it away afterwards.

So £14K on the original repair and now circa £1K on the loom. Nice £15K 'saving' for a £1.1K investment.

Know I will be shot down, but OPC warranty every time for me. :wink:

In the five months I've had my 997.2, Porsche warranty has renewed the s/steel door-sill kick-plates because the Carerra 4S script was not illuminated and a n/s PSE silencer because of internal issues with the baffler.

After suffering engine paranoia of owing a 997.1 and "old things rust or wear out" paranoia of a 993, I thought 997.2 ownership would be a walk in the park and considered not stumping up for a new warranty, not any more :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back