Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Damned pressure washer

the other me

Nurburgring
Hi,

I had a small stone chip on my bonnet which I hadn't got around to touching up.

Whilst washing the car with one of these roadside pressure washers the other day , the stream must have found a loose edge on the lacquer coat (the chip has taken off the lacquer & colour, but not the primer ) & has lifted a patch slightly larger than 2x 50p pieces in size.

It isn't too noticeable except from certain angles, but, of course I know it is there, so see it every time.

Seems a bit big to touch up (particularly with the tiny brush supplied on Porsche touch-up kits) is there any alternative short of a full bonnet respray? Would masking off the area around the patch & using a commercially available clear lacquer aerosol look okay, or would it just make a not too obvious blemish really stand out ?

I'll get used to it, and don't feel inclined at the moment to incur the cost of respraying the bonnet, but if there is something else I can try I will give it a go. Colour is Seal Grey.

Cheers :thumb:

Given it's a Porsche only way to go is a bonnet respray IMHO.
Our cars have to look spot on otherwise you are laughed at.
:thumb:

Full bonnet respray I'm afraid. You cannot apply lacquer to a patch.

My car has stone chips all over the front PU and aerokit and I'm conscious of those.
Next year I think I'll go for a full front end respray including bonnet and blend into wings, even though I know they'll be again after spending north of £1k.

Not sure the pressure washer is to blame, the lacquer/paint was clearly loose anyway and the pressure just fetched it off. Agree with the others, a full respray only I'm afraid, it is likely to look a bit cr*p otherwise. My front bumper needs painting, but am not stressing about any additional chips, but I know as soon as I get it painted, I'll be pooping myself every time I take it out. You can't win really. Hope you get it sorted without too much expense. :thumb:

Leaving aside how to repair the chip you do need to seal the damage if it's down to the primer. Primer is hydrscopic and it could rust which you don't want.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back