Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin Super Sports MPSS # 997 Tyre Thread (Input needed)

Porsche News said:
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a no brainer

Since my original post, I've been looking at prices at various websites and haven't found super sports in the right size for my rears. Am I just looking in the wrong places or are they not available in 305/30/19?

Definitely available, I just checked on the Michelin website.

Porsche News said:

Had those but they were 8yrs old. I've now stuck on some Avon ZZ3 tyres as an experiment :what:

:eek: Totally transformed the car. Less road noise, more 'feel' and not as 'hard' running. Whether they stick to the road like shoite to a blanket will need to wait until a track day or one of the CAT days I fancy :grin:

I second this, I can't find any MPSS for my rears either, I did the fronts a couple of months ago and now its time to do the rears so I'm stuck!!!

Zingari said:
Porsche News said:

Had those but they were 8yrs old. I've now stuck on some Avon ZZ3 tyres as an experiment :what:

:eek: Totally transformed the car. Less road noise, more 'feel' and not as 'hard' running. Whether they stick to the road like shoite to a blanket will need to wait until a track day or one of the CAT days I fancy :grin:

What was the pricing like for them and what car did you out them on? I would be interested to hear the wear. The PS2 are so noisy it's insane

^^^ I got them uber cheap and given this was a trial thought I'd give them a go. Didn't Avon invent rubber/tyre so what's to lose :dont know:

I think now they are ZZR3 and as ever there are mixed opinions - 'ditchfinders' (a la Pistonheads - although I'd say that's a lot to do with driver ability/incompetence rather than rubber) and 'budget' tyres. Supposed to be rubbish in the wet, yet have a wet 'B' rating so not sure of that statement.

They are on the 964 which compared to my 993 allows perhaps slighlty more noise into the cabin. Plus my 993 had Pirelli Rosso which I found very good (and quiet).

Take account that my Pilots were 8yrs old and I suspect the hardning of the compound led to the increase in noise and harsh ride.

I love Eagle F1's. Been fitting them for years on various cars. Currently have F1 AS2's on a 996.

Grippy, smooth ride, quiet, durable. And not particularly pricey, which is a bonus.

Zingari said:
Porsche News said:

Had those but they were 8yrs old.
8 years old is quite old for a tyre. I just ditched my MR2 front tyres as they were DOT 2007 due to age even though it has 4 mm on the tread. I would have reservation to drive hard on any tyres over 6 years old.

Porsche News said:

+1 , im on my second set now , theses arnt only the best non n rated , they are also better than the N rated :p

Rockunrolla said:
Porsche News said:

+1 , im on my second set now , theses arnt only the best non n rated , they are also better than the N rated :p

Apparently (no personal experience with them) not too good in the wet though?

Did silverstone last yr with rain bouncing down and my MPSS were like glue to the tarmac :judge:

declandio said:
Rockunrolla said:
Porsche News said:

Apparently (no personal experience with them) not too good in the wet though?
I find the PSS good enough in wet. I had them on my Mazda 6 MPS (1,665kg, 4WD). On Bruntingthrope track day after X'mas and before New Year, it was brilliant on a cold, icy(morning) / wet (rest of the day) track throughout the day at c.3 degrees Celsius.

It took the fast left hander at the pit exit at over 100 mph in that condition without triggering the ESP. Minimum speed in corners well above other cars. Breakaway characteristic very gentle and predictable.

Garrison said:
Zingari said:
Porsche News said:

Had those but they were 8yrs old.
8 years old is quite old for a tyre. I just ditched my MR2 front tyres as they were DOT 2007 due to age even though it has 4 mm on the tread. I would have reservation to drive hard on any tyres over 6 years old.

they weren't even available 8 years ago

Zingari said:
^^^ I got them uber cheap and given this was a trial thought I'd give them a go. Didn't Avon invent rubber/tyre so what's to lose :dont know:

I think now they are ZZR3 and as ever there are mixed opinions - 'ditchfinders' (a la Pistonheads - although I'd say that's a lot to do with driver ability/incompetence rather than rubber) and 'budget' tyres. Supposed to be rubbish in the wet, yet have a wet 'B' rating so not sure of that statement.

They are on the 964 which compared to my 993 allows perhaps slighlty more noise into the cabin. Plus my 993 had Pirelli Rosso which I found very good (and quiet).

Take account that my Pilots were 8yrs old and I suspect the hardning of the compound led to the increase in noise and harsh ride.

I can't recommend the Avons, on a modern 911, they are a generation behind in terms of technology against the latest offering from Michelin, Pirelli, etc. Speaking from experience, fast driving in the wet, they were probably one of the worst 'modern' tyres I've driven in the wet.

Problem with the A to G rating is that it is all self-certification, which is why some of the very questionable unknown brands from China score quite high. The only benchmark is N rating and from a premium supplier who supplies N rated tyres.

the MPSS are in high demand so supply in certain sizes can be limited, but one for Exel wheels to comment on.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back