Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thoughts on this 997 Carrera S

BooSmile

I'm currently on the market for a 997 Carrera S (ideally a cabriolet) and I'm just wondering whether you guys & girls could give me your thoughts on the car below with regards to price & spec.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-9...735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf8e4feaf

I'm still debating whether to go for a 987.2 Boxster S instead due to the 'better' engine with no IMS issues, so any thoughts and recommendations with regards to whether I should buy a 997.1 or a 987.2 would be great too! I only need 2 seats. My greatest concern would be a lot of depreciation over the next 1-3 years.

Any help would be much appreciated. :thumb:

I wonder why the ceramic brakes had to be renewed, heavy track use?

Gen 2 much better engine, go for PDK Boxster S and make sure it has Chrono with sports plus. Its all you would need for a 2 person car and will feel more modern IMHO

Also, consider the mileage, you will get a Boxster S for a bit more than that with a lot less miles.
If you do over 25k in the 997, you are then looking at a car that will be creeping towards 100k :?:

It sounds like you are after an automatic. While they are not my cup of tea, the PDK on the later cars are a better gearbox and some have the flappy paddles. Re depreciation - both will depreciate as they are sold in large quantities. I think its from 2009 onwards Porsche fixed the problems with the IMS, or some sellers advertise they have spent money on the fixes.

I only do circa 6k miles per annum. It's mainly used on the weekend, and I'll most likely plan to use it for some road trips, but other than that, it won't be used much - other than the weekly grocery shop... :oops:

I prefer an auto gearbox as my girlfriend will be using it on the random occasion and she drives autos. :dont know:

BooSmile said:
I only do circa 6k miles per annum. It's mainly used on the weekend, and I'll most likely plan to use it for some road trips, but other than that, it won't be used much - other than the weekly grocery shop... :oops:

I prefer an auto gearbox as my girlfriend will be using it on the random occasion and she drives autos. :dont know:

my missus hated my Cayman S manual and didn't want to drive it, she liked my 996 tiptronic and drove it sometimes, she loves my Cayman S with PDK and sports steering wheel with paddles and wants to drive it all of the time. I prefer it too and the sports plus is awesome, if you get an empty road or track to use it on.

wilpert said:
my missus hated my Cayman S manual and didn't want to drive it, she liked my 996 tiptronic and drove it sometimes, she loves my Cayman S with PDK and sports steering wheel with paddles and wants to drive it all of the time. I prefer it too and the sports plus is awesome, if you get an empty road or track to use it on.

You really are tempting me with the PDK! Just to throw another car into the mix... The 981 Boxster isn't that much more expensive! Admittedly low spec.

I really don't want to purchase on impulse, but I ideally need to buy something soon! I've been trying to choose which car to buy since the beginning of this year!

BooSmile said:
wilpert said:

You really are tempting me with the PDK! Just to throw another car into the mix... The 981 Boxster isn't that much more expensive! Admittedly low spec.

I really don't want to purchase on impulse, but I ideally need to buy something soon! I've been trying to choose which car to buy since the beginning of this year!

FWIW, I know that many folks on here will push for the 911 gen 1 but the Cayman S and Boxster S with PDK has a more modern feel and with the additional bells and whistles of chrone, sports plus etc. IMHO it's the best choice financially.

So far I haven't heard ANY negatives on reliability with these cars.

The only negative for me, was the quieter engine note but I had that sorted for sensible money I had a Carnewals GT exhaust shipped over from Belgioum which when fitted on my car, is a really good sound. (all in inc fitting delivery etc circa £600-00) but you may be lucky enough to get PSE in the price.

Attachments

• lhp_5811_351.jpg
    lhp_5811_351.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 7,862
As you are spending a decent amount (25-30K) and the cars are fairly recent find a franchised or non franchised dealer who has both a 997 and 987 Boxster to drive back to back. A smart dealer will let you drive both as they will sell something to you. At the end of the day your opinion is the most important as its your money and you will be living with it.

Agreed, the test drive will help but it won't solve potential reliability issues, even if the worse isn't going to happen, it's the Porsche paranoia that has to be factored into the decision. :)

I did 0ver 50k happy miles in my 996 that was about to self destruct at any moment.

It didnt :)

and if you have dark glasses and want a well specced weekend toy
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...-over-25k-worth-of-factory-fit-extras/4151556

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back