Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ticking over like a bag o' spanners - Fixed

Alex

Just recently my car's started ticking over bad, i.e. hovering around 600rpm and fluctuating. Also, when stopping and depressing the clutch revs drop really low, car nearly stalls and then gets a blip up to about 1500rpm then drops to being erratic and low again.

Points observed:

Car is eGas so no ICV.
Throttle body and MAF have been cleaned - no effect.
Car only does it after fully up to temperature (say after about 15 - 20 minutes driving).
Runs perfectly normal (around 800-900rpm) at tickover before fully warmed up.
Seems to be deteriorating as time is going on.

Any help appreciated.

Silly question but have you seen lugged into a dura metric? Also check for air leaks

Had a quick check for air leaks and not found anything (although not convinced there isn't any) and not plugged in for codes either.
Will do if I can't find something myself.

I was wondering if I've not got the plenum back on right when I did my started motor last month. Might take it off and redo it.

Edit: I'm starting to think either airleak or AOS on it's way out.

Easy way to find air leak is with eSy start! Spray sparingly near wher you suspect and see if revs change, have a fire extinguisher handy just in case

:lol:

Ok will do.

Mine had those symptoms and it was a faulty oil seperator.
It was faulty new from Porsche, mines a non egas car though.

I'm guessing AOS as it does seem to be progressively worsening which suggests to me a worn part.

Isn't there a fairly easy test for AOS? Something to do with removing the oil filler cap while the engine is running?

Yeah but that's only if it's proper goosed isn't it? :dont know:

There's a vac on the oil filler but not so you can't easily take the cap off.

I know infrasilver mentioned on another post about testing it but didn't say how.

I'd gamble on an air leak too. Pull the codes - might be "enrichment limit reached". As said spray some easy start around all the joints.

Check the AOS rubber bellows where it connects to the block. Can be hard to tell what vacuum is correct from the filler cap.

You can do this just by removing the passenger side rear wheel. feel around for a split. You can just about replace it too, but I had to use jubilee clips rather than the original spring clips.

Mine was split.

£6+VAT +del http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod6...he-996-34L-1998-02---Boxster-986-99610723752/

EDIT: Guide here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=61942

Great stuff - leave it with me. I also think my coil packs are on their last legs as there's a few other tell tale signs they're on their way out

Can't check anything at the moment as I've just took my car in for a front bumper respray.

Hopefully nothing major Alex...surprised you don't have a code reader...they are an absolute god send. Even if they aren't always accurate, they give major clue's as to which area the problem might be in.
That said, my 20 quid one i bought way before the porker told me that my coil pack/plug on number 6 was duff...saved much faffage!

Ben

I have got a code reader (cheap thing) but no codes have come up.

Lambda O2 sensor would be my guess :dont know: Normally when cold there are no signs but once engine starts to get up to temperature it will kangaroo/judder/fart/oldmans knackers on a vibrating exercise plate etc :what:

Air leak.................................still 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back