Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Diesel engine in Macan S

hornet

Monza
Recently read the comparison on Pistonheads between the Macan and the SQ5 and was a little surprised by the power output of the Macan. It stated that the power output was 258 hp which I assume is a "Porsche" tuned version of the Audi diesel used in the current Q5 / A5 etc.

Playing around on various car configurators from Porsche and Audi I saw that the latest Audi A6 has what appears to be a new 3.0 diesel engine and has 272 PS or 320 PS in BiTdi guise. Even allowing for the small difference between PS and BHP the new Audi engines seem more powerful.

Therefore is the Macan diesel based on the older Audi engine which if it is seems a little strange to me for a brand new premium product?

I'm no engineer but this just seemed a little odd.

The Porsche is less powerful.

It uses the simpler and less torquey single blower design.

The Macan uses 7-Speed PDK (which may be the limiting factor) vs the Audi 8-Speed Tiptronic (slush box)

Yep, the Macan is single turbo, the Audi twin turbo. However every review I've read tips the Macan over the Audi, mainly due to the far better chassis setup that Porsche have developed.

Which is partly why I've bought one.... :D

Yes I can appreciate the difference between the twin turbo vs single turbo. I was just wondering if the single turbo in the Macan is based on the older gen Audi single turbo unit.

However having sat in one the other day I was hugely impressed and it is definitely on my shopping list when I look to change in a few months despite any engine concerns and waiting lists. Like the SQ5 but like the Macan more.

hornet said:
Recently read the comparison on Pistonheads between the Macan and the SQ5 and was a little surprised by the power output of the Macan. It stated that the power output was 258 hp which I assume is a "Porsche" tuned version of the Audi diesel used in the current Q5 / A5 etc.

Playing around on various car configurators from Porsche and Audi I saw that the latest Audi A6 has what appears to be a new 3.0 diesel engine and has 272 PS or 320 PS in BiTdi guise. Even allowing for the small difference between PS and BHP the new Audi engines seem more powerful.

Therefore is the Macan diesel based on the older Audi engine which if it is seems a little strange to me for a brand new premium product?

I'm no engineer but this just seemed a little odd.

Not sure why it's odd, Audi have only released their new BiTDi engine which sits in the A6, it takes time for engines to filter down across all of the ranges, as it's not as simple as just adding a new engine that someone has released, since it may work in a Audi but may not work in a Porsche.

This new BiTDI is probably the cards in the Porsche range but engines need to be tested, tuned to their own spec, designed to fit in the car and the production facility within their own manufacturing schedules, as well the knowledge, technology and parts filtered down to the global dealer network.

It all takes time, It is likely the engine will appear in the facelift models.

The different arms of VAG are allowed to develop their own tech (effectively in competition).

Their reward for any advances is a minimum of 12 months exclusivity to that tech within the development brand.

But is it wise to be so interested in diesels when air quality directives may compel the government to load the tax regime against them over the next few years :?:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back