Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2015 Race 1 & 2 Brands Hatch

Porsche News

Action-packed Brands Hatch weekend for UK's foremost one-make race series

Double delight for Cammish as Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2015 season kicks off

Redline Racing's Dan Cammish has got his season off to the perfect start with back-to-back wins in the first two rounds of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2015 at Brands Hatch, Kent. The 25-year-old confirmed early indications from both testing and practice that he would be one of the leading drivers to challenge for the top spot in the reinvigorated championship.

The former British Formula Ford champion's pace was there for all to see throughout an action-packed weekend. After a superb getaway in Round One which enabled him to take the lead on the very first lap, Cammish managed two safety car restarts seamlessly and never looked like relinquishing the lead. It took him longer to get past pole-sitter Stephen Jelley in Round Two but the relentless pressure applied by the Yorkshireman paid off as he spotted an opportunity just minutes before race end.

'We knew we had a good car and we knew we could make it work but I didn't expect to come here and have two wins to my name," said Cammish. 'Sunday was tougher than Saturday because the track temperature was warmer which made my car harder to handle. As always it's so difficult to overtake at Brands but eventually I put Stephen under enough pressure at Graham Hill and managed to slip through."

Championship returnee Jelley looks set for another strong campaign after securing a solid haul of points. The 32-year-old's podium in Race One, two fastest laps and double pole position means he is hot on Cammish's heels in the overall standings. Two-time champion Michael Meadows is not far behind either after two podium finishes.

'I'm relatively happy with how the weekend went", reflected Oxford-born Meadows. 'Qualifying wasn't the greatest for me, so I'm happy to have picked up some useful points. With the number of incidents that have taken place, it's just good to come out of it with a solid return."

It was a mixed weekend for defending champion and current Porsche Carrera Cup GB Scholar Josh Webster who served a drive-through penalty during the first round for being out of position on the grid. After salvaging two points on Saturday, he put the mistake firmly behind him with an impressive drive to finish third in Round Two.

'I was really motivated to go out there and do something special today to put Saturday well and truly to bed. We set the car up to come good at the end and luckily that played into our hands," said Josh. 'We've learnt a lot this weekend, worked really well as a team and morale is still very high. Looking forward, I think we're in really good shape."

In the Pro-Am 1 category, Juta Racing's Ignas Gelzinis leads the way. The Lithuanian followed up his strong first round points finish by being the only car in the class to make it to the end of Sunday's race. However it looks as if he will have a fight on his hands to keep Jordan Witt at bay following the pace the Redline Racing driver displayed on Saturday.

'I had really good speed and until I span was running comfortably in sixth," declared Porsche Carrera Cup GB rookie Gelzinis. 'I carried on and collected some strong points for the Pro-Am1 table. However, I have mixed emotions because I feel I was on course for a much better finish."

Early signs are that the Pro-Am 2 class will be every bit as tight, with just two points separating the top five drivers. Redline Racing's John McCullagh produced the category's standout performance of the weekend during the second race, fighting his way back from last to tenth position after venturing into the gravel trap early on.

'After the first corner incident with Dino (Zamparelli), I am absolutely delighted to come away first in class. It was tricky to work through the field because of the damage to the car sustained by the gravel but I just kept my head down and picked them off one at a time. It was important to put Saturday behind me."

The third and fourth rounds take place on the hallowed asphalt at Spa-Francorchamps on Saturday 2 and Sunday 3 May. Be sure not to miss a thing, by following us at @CarreraCupGB on Twitter (which includes minute-by-minute tweeting during the race) or visiting www.porsche.co.uk/CarreraCupGB for more information.

Round One results

Pro Category:
1 Dan Cammish;
2 Stephen Jelley;
3 Michael Meadows

Pro-Am1 category:
1 Jordan Witt;
2 Ignas Gelzinis;
3 Karl Leonard

Pro-Am 2 category:
1 Iain Dockerill;
2 Paul McKay;