Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 964 experience..

Hello fellow South Londoner, I'm in Brockley, give me a shout if you fancy an early morning drive. Your car looks great, loving the thread. Stick with the D90's they look perfect, and welcome to the 964 club.

Definitely use Matt at Type911 he's a good guy and stocks genuine Porsche parts, his shop's in Beckenham.

I can also recommend Project Nine Engineering down in Marden, it's a nice drive out there, and they too are decent guys, Clifford knows his stuff.

:bye:

Cheers guys. I'll be sure to check out their website later!

Up for meeting other porscheophiles!! Since the only 2 close mates with them have now sold up!

In regards to my hearing issue. I'm out with the car now and just discovered that there is NO power going to the servos and the slider controls don't seem to do anything, nothing appears to come out of those footwell vents that are hanging down from under the dash(if that's what that is)

Anything else I can check? Just to be sure, there isn't a fuse or relay in the circuit is there?

Thanks again Boxsey. I have had a break from the HVAC problem at the moment, I believe the problem is with the unit but I have been using my time to crack on with other things. I plan to pull the HVAC out and probably send it off to someone for repair, in the meantime, I am hoping some one has a unit that I can use to test..

So, I have been keeping busy and totally distracted from everything else recently. My main goal has been to get the 964 as clean as possible, MOT'd and everything working (Minus the heating, for now)

This will be pretty picture heavy, I'll let them do the talking.

I had a cap which fits in the lock, it helps disguise it and stop it standing out so much on the black handle, I'll be getting another for the other side.

The carpet was a complete state, spent a fair while cleaning oil and various crap from it. 3 of the fasteners have been pulled off and are missing so I need to sort this out. I've seen that I need 15mm female button things.

The car is very dry underneath, infact, there doesn't appear to be any leaks apart from above the passenger side rear trailing arm. When previously looking through the invoices I have, I could see that the gearbox pipes to the oil cooler were noted as being "Heavily corroded". I worked out that these pipes looked new and obviously replaced the corroded lines.. Evidence of the leak was coming from the coupling, so I tightened the suspect line up and 1 week later, still no leak, so job done! :)

While poking around, I discovered the car has some height adjustment!! Not much I know :(

Are these standard fitment?

Some before shots, not as bad as I expected...

Some new brake pads, much required!

The tiptronic surround had some wear to some of the lettering, so I swapped this with the new one I had.

What a tiptronic shifter looks like.

While at it, all of these were jammed, so a good clean and grease and it works like new!

Old Vs New

My first aftermarket part for the car arrived.

A nice sound proofing tidy bar from Germany, thanks to a link seen on world 964 owners.

A bunch of other bits turned up from Design911..

Before the bar..

After

This should have been a 2minute job, but I dropped one of the clips and had to remove the heater blower to find the thing!!

Off for an MOT, passed without a single advisory!

Met an old school friend while there

New tyres being fitted

Sunday just gone, it was time to really put some time into it, jobs like painting up bolts and small details, listing out what new parts I need to buy etc.

Thorough cleaning

While under the arches, I wanted to investigate my oil level sender not working.. Pulled the sender out and gave it a clean, it still didn't work.. I had heard that these can suffer from bad earth, after running a earth from the sender itself to the chassis, I discovered that it worked!! So, I need to work out how you earth the oil tank, or how it should be earth, as earthing the sender to the oil tank did nothing. If the oil tank is earth or is the sender has it's own earth, I don't know... Any advice?

Old seal

New Seal

It now works (This was a shot after the car had been in heavy traffic)

On to the body work. I had already spent some time, mainly by hand, seeing how much work it would need... Alot and by machine was the answer.. I had taken some of the oxidation off by hand but not much and in the dark, it looked better than it did in the below pic.. :)

Time for the body

Ready for a cutting session

And after, I am still yet to tackle the bumpers and some panels need another session but for now, it's looking presentable.

A high shot from my office, the clouds aren't helping the now non faded look

Some random interior shots, only given this a quick hoover and treated the seats to some conditioning.

No way near where I want it to be as yet, still need to polish the bumpers.

Xquisite Automotive should be taking the car in for a full repainting in June but I am hoping they can do it sooner. :)

I have been using the car and put around 260 miles on it so far, I am really enjoying it, there is a sense of occasion everytime. I had a run on a local test track against my old E46 M3 and was totally shocked at how it didn't fall too far behind it, really impressed us both.

I love the soft, hugging seats, the chunky steering wheel and the tiptronic isn't that bad. Still not my choice but for driving in town, it's quite nice. My girlfriend loves it.

The car does feel heavy, even without a full tank of fuel, perhaps I'm used to the light steering on my MX5 and 997. It wouldn't be my choice for a track car out of the box but I'm sure some low profile tyres, suspension and manual box, it would be a different car. This car is going to stay a cruise, it's nice to pop it into D, windows down and sunroof open and listen to the sound of the engine just rumbling away, some extra noise would be nice though..

Overall, after 260 miles, I am loving this car and cannot wait to see it restored, it's been a fun experience so far and thankfully, it's a perfect solid base car. The garage I took it too for an MOT couldn't believe how good of a condition it is in, they see and even own a 964, amoungst other porsche and air cooled cars, they really commended it. :worship:

As she stands as of 15 mins ago

Front end high as anything! I did notice a difference in my driving position after going from an empty tank to a full one though :)

I changed the clear silicon piping to black and I can't for the life of me, get that bloody heaterpipe into the new rubber arm above the fan!!

I have some questions...

Is it worth using V power, I have just put in my 2nd tank of it and its the fuel of choice for me, is the car setup for 95 ron or will it respond to the 98 V power?

My oil level sender, should this earth through the oil tan or does the earth go along with the feed wire and earth out on the car somewhere?

I have a gap between the carpet and bonnet pull (see above pic). It doesn't seem like I can close the gap as the air pipe behind the carpet is stopping it, is this normal or am I missing something?

How do I check my coolant level.... :floor:

Upgrades wise;

Is it worth fitting a BMC/DesignTek panel filter for more noise under acceleration?

The upturned air intake pipe, does this add any benefit? I do find it crazy that the OEM pipe is pointed toward the engine..

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks for the link, I'm not sure if that's my issue, I couldn't get the blower pipe into the rubber arm even when off the car, I put the rubber arm in hot water to soften it up and it just wouldn't stretch over! :?:

Do you have any mods to you air intake system and do you run V power?

Great work on cleaning the heat shiled to the cat :thumb: What did you use?

Pity I cant do my inner arches but they're covered in that thick underproofing stuff :what:

MarkGolf said:
Thanks for the link, I'm not sure if that's my issue, I couldn't get the blower pipe into the rubber arm even when off the car, I put the rubber arm in hot water to soften it up and it just wouldn't stretch over! :?:

Do you have any mods to you air intake system and do you run V power?

I'm a strong believer in keeping the engine standard so have no mods to the intake and have not 'chipped' it. The air intake pipe is angled to stop water filling the air box. The ECU was designed for 95 RON so there's no advantage in running higher octane. I've tried it and not noticed any difference. However, chipped cars (especially ones re-mapped on a rolling road) will likely have been optimized to run with higher octane.

The only engine mod I've got is a de-cat which was put on because the original cat fell apart.

Hi MarkGolf,

This thread takes me back to when I'd just purchased mine and brought it home. I can see the serious amount of hours and sheer effort you've made. Nice work :thumb:

Cheers,
Paul

Great work Mark. Love reading all about it :thumb:

Cheers Zingari – I used AutoSmart G101 for initial cleaning, followed by Tardis which melts the tar spots off, a good scrub with a stiff brush and it is back to being shiny 

Thanks Paul, I have been through your build and love what you have done. I am a sucker for detailing a car, love nothing more!

Cheers Freddie, I don't suppose you fancy a 964 and 997 for your GT3? ;)

Nothing too much has been happening, I had yet more seals and bits and pieces arrive ready for when the car has been painted, otherwise, just a couple of small jobs which needed ticking off of the list.

Calipers before

Calipers after

I had always planned to have the calipers refurbished in red when the car goes in for paint but now they are glossy, I am not so sure..

A night time drive

I was itching to get the fan out, I had always loved the idea of changing the colour of the engine fan as it gives such a big change to the appearance of the engine bay with such little effort.

Fan/Alternator removed from the car

After discovering that I needed a bearing puller, £18 and a Mcdonalds later, I was able to pull the fan off..

After alot of prep and a minor bead blasting, I was ready..

I was going to paint the fan red but I decided that it has been done and it would detract from the original look of the car which I want to go for.
17101938817_08e80ae20c_z.jpg
[/url]

I went for a texture effect paint which I use on most rocker covers, it's durable and retains that tough look. Once baked, it forms to a nice factory looking textured finish. Brilliant stuff.

I also polished the belt things

17283436576_7f977d71ea_z.jpg
[/url]

16686937094_d01885255d_z.jpg
[/url]

17121624098_0a16b46806_z.jpg
[/url]

As I refrained from going red on the fan, I thought I'd add some detail to the alternator internals...
17101962547_07bf21331c_z.jpg
[/url]

17121856390_e15582b86e_z.jpg
[/url]

It was dark so no decent full on pictures as yet! Need to paint the manifold now!

Last update was a change to the peeling gauge face...

New face from Germany and an easy swap!

17121657528_e78b0117fc_z.jpg
[/url]

17121890650_b3371d2260_z.jpg
[/url]

All done :)

17283492386_51553d9e0b_z.jpg
[/url]

Not sure what's next :dont know:

Love Mark's attention to detail, any car is lucky to have him as an owner :worship: Top marks on these posts :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back