Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cobalt Blue C2

Just a quick visit to the workshop today. Mainly doing dull but productive stuff - I didn't think you would want photos of me cleaning carpet mats.... :?:

One of the more fiddly jobs is getting the washer jets back in. There is plenty of pipe on the offside, the nearside is very tight. To get the amount of pipe you can see here, I tool off the washer bottle reservoir.

The hole they pass through is pretty tight, so I elected to used the correct clamps rather than risk a small jubilee clip

And the clamp in place

Popping them back in is fairly easy once the heater wire is fed through. As ever, I smeared the hole with waxoyl for protection and some lubrication.

Well, after two evenings with the parts catalogue, I think I have managed to order all of the parts I need to complete the car (fingers crossed). It has made quite a pile......

Yesterday was a fairly gentle day. Lots of cleaning, prepping parts for refitting. As ever I am taking a methodical approach. For example, I am replacing every bulb before before the lights go back in. Only progress photo taken yesterday was fitting the fuel tank shut off valve

I am off work this week, hopefully there will be some good progress, fingers crossed........

Haynes manuals say something along the lines that reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. Well, there is no haynes manual for a 964, so the odd error is allowed?

In a desire to make progress, I fitted the rear bumper bar. Only then did I realise that the heat protector and the guide for the rear bumper have to be fitted first :frustrated:

Hey ho. Well, at least the advantage of using new fixings and copper grease means taking stuff apart is pretty simple.....

So, photo of the rear bumper bar, top piece fitted (air riveter makes life very easy :) ) and threads cleaned up really for the heat protector to be bolted in

And a photo of the bumper bar and heat protector in place. Has anyone done this themselves? The plastic part of the bumper slides in to the top of the bumper bar. Do I have to assemble this off the car then lift the whole unit as one?

Hi Phil,

The colour and finish are absolutely superb :thumb:

Cheers,
Paul

A google search last night showed that I had wasted my time fitting the bumper reinforcement.... :frustrated:

Anyway, I cracked on this morning. I should have remembered sooner, but one of the brackets on the bumper needed a repair.

So I trimmed a bit of plastic and shaped to suit

Some two pack glue and a clamp

And some further two pack gave me something I can fettle later

So, onto reassembly. New reinforcement piece to the bottom of the bumper riveted on

Reinforcement pieces (powder coated, obviously) fitted

Lots and lots of assembly later

And a little bit of wrestling, and lots of crawling around on the floor later (and half covered in waxoyl), I now have this

Still need to tighten the side pieces. I have fitted new rubbers, which have very little give. If anyone is thinking of doing this task themselves, the screws listed in the Porsche parts catalogue are only just long enough. after struggling for far two long, I used the longer bolts listed for the front bumpers - which made life far, far easier.

Right, must eat, absolutely shattered.

This is absolutely fantastic

I have been following the post for months now and can't wait to see the final results.

This car will be mega once you finish it and you should be really proud of it.

I'll keep watching and you enjoy once you finish it

Thank you for your kind words. Today has been long - I am glad people enjoy my ramblings :) !!

Its coming along nicely :thumb: in regards the bumper reinforcement you could have left that on , where the cover slips under lip on the top of the bar if you put self tappers in there rather than rivets makes it easier if you ever have to take the bumper cover off in the future you unbolt from the rear quarters, the two support brackets on the underside of the middle section and take the self tappers out the top lip and slip the bumper cover off

Gaz

Now you tell me!!

Thanks for the tip - I am clearly a masochist, therefore I have done the rivets.

Sorry mate missed your post last night :nooo: no biggie just means you will need to drill the rivets out in the future, I have a twin exhaust on mine which makes it a nightmare to get to the brackets/bolts on the reinforcing bar

hope neither of us have to take them back off !

The design and fitting of the rear bumper assembly has to be one of the daftest ever.

Cars looking great, though.

:thumb:

Just a quick update today. After finishing off fitting the rear bumper this morning, I have spent the rest of the day cleaning stuff ready to fit - wheel arch liners, front lights and indicators, replaced all of the bulbs and and a seemingly a thousand other things, none of which seemed worthy of photos.

What I did get done was fit the rear lights (after waxoyling the bowl and behind the centre section), together with a new seal on the top of the reflector. Very satisfying :D

Looking good Phil,
With all that waxoil the car should last indefinitely :grin:

I think it will float.......!!

Pressure is on, next project arrives in 9 days time (supposedly)....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back