Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Project 928.

You got any pics? Are you restoring it?

Ian

Respect :thumb:
Doing the work yourself will make the car even more special , one every two years Ian and you will have a good collection going :thumbs:

I decided I needed to get to grips with my heaters stuck on hot. It meant after 15 mins it was like a furnace in the car, and summers coming!
Anyway after a lot of searching on the Internet I hatched a plan of Atrack. All the mixer flaps that control hot and cold and direction of air are controlled by vacuum. I bought a cheap vacuums pump with gauge of the bay and set about checking for vacuums leaks. Baisically I removed the centre console to expose the manifold and checked each vacuum pipe for leaks. All checked out fine so the fault was elsewhere. I then changed the hot water valve at the firewall but this didn't make any difference either. I then found the stepper motor that controls the position of the main mixer flap that mixes the hot and cold air. I found the flap was jammed in the hot position so gave it a hard pull and the motor would now give me full hot and full cold but nothing inbetween! I read that you could remove the motor and clean the insides, this made no difference so I removed it again and decided to follow some other channel advise and resoldered all the contacts inside the motor and replace the transistors.

Pic of motor that controls the flap

I removed these

From this

And put in these new ones

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I realised I had fully functioning Heaters!

I also picked up some wheels cheap last week, I've put them on the car temporarily to see if I liked them.

I think I do, so I'm going to get them refurbed in dark silver/grey when I've sorted the body work.

:thumbs:

Ian

That looks great Ian! I'm looking forward to seeing this develop. :thumb:

Cheers,
Paul

Respec due Ian!
This is gonna be one hell of a thread :thumb: plenty of electronic kit on these cars to get your teeth into. New soldering iron on the Christmas list then :grin:

Also I think you could afford to drop the front by a foot or two :p

If i had swapped those circuit board doofers around you would be hearing the radio when you wanted heat .
I had a sneak peak the other day its a gorgeous car .

Ha ha lads, this thread will have plenty of content!

Chief, 928's have weird suspension, after you've jacked the car up it takes a few miles of driving befor they settle, plus it's a bit high anyway. Also I've removed the front splitter to repair it which dosent help. Anyway it will all be sorted with the new coil overs :grin:

Ian

igaffz said:
I also picked up some wheels cheap last week, I've put them on the car temporarily to see if I liked them.

I think I do, so I'm going to get them refurbed in dark silver/grey when I've sorted the body work.

:thumbs:

Ian
:thumb: 8)

Cheers imp75.

A couple of weeks ago I removed the front splitter. It was held together with black tape and looked a right mess. Anyway it looked even worse when I pulled the tape off!

It's made out of a hard rubber and it appeares to be a common week area being quite close to the ground.
One side had a large crack and the other side was totally detached. I started by giving the areas to be treated a good key with sand paper. I also drilled some holes to take some of the resin. I started with the crack and cut a pice of ali mesh for strength. I then fiber glassed the back side of the crack and sandwiched the mesh in for strength.

Then I used some flexible bumper filler on the outside of the crack and rubbed it down, I built it up with a couple of coats.

I didn't get a pic but the side that was totally smashed in half was a bit harder! I cut a strip of metal and riveted it to each part of the splitter with three rivets. That gave it a bit of strength till I could get the fiber glass on.

Then i used my flexible filler again.

After sanding I gave the whole splitter a key with wet and dry and primed the areas I had repaired.

Tonight a gave it a couple of coats of mat black, the garage was to gloomy to take a decent pic so I'll post up the results tomorow, I'm well pleased with it, it looks like new and probably stronger! I'm canny impressed with the flexible filler, you can bend the splitter and the filler dosent crack! If I'd done this with filler available 10 years ago it would have fallen to bits after 30 seconds!

Ian

Awesome, most people would have chucked that in the bin , it looks great and will last :thumb:

Looking good Ian,
good skills with the fibreglass. I get most of it stuck to my hands!

Got the splitter fitted today, got to be worth an extra 10bhp!

Last weekend I got another job ticked off the list. I removed the petrol tank and breather tank, all the jubilee clips had rotted off years ago so fitted new ones and rubber pipe where needed.

Cleaned out the tank

I found this inside the tank! Anyone know what it's for? My dad thought it might be to slide around the bottom of the tank to stop a build up of bad fuel/dirt?

Cut the metal fuel lines as far forward as possible and connected new nylon fuel lines with 10mm compression fittings.

Fitted the new pipe into new clips.

After a test run there's no leaks so all good upto now :thumb:
I've had an ongoing issue with fuel smell coming from the vent tank breather pipe so I've ran the pipe to the centre of the rear bumper and this seems to have sorted it? It was cable tied under the rear wheel arch and the smell of petrol was coming in the windows so hopefully I've sorted it?

Ready for our local run out tomorow, please don't let me down old girl :flowers:

Ians

Ian,
Wasn't there some product in the 90's where you put those pebble like things in the tank to add lead back into the fuel???

Loving the work :thumb:

Seriously impressive work Ian. You're cracking on with it, I think you might be finished before me after all :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back