Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Insurance declaration for all your little tweeks

Alex

Nordschleife
Someone commented on me having 295 tyres on the rear on my 996 (with 10" rims) asking if I'd notified the Insurance.

The car's been fitted with those for over 4 years and 40k miles according to the receipts so I never gave it a thought about being 'modified'.

I'm due renewal on my Insurance next month so have been doing the searches for price comparison.
Anyway, tonight I thought I'd get some quotes with wider tyres on. Seems most companies won't quote on the comparison sites and the ones that do are a lot higher.

Point I'm getting at though is how many mods have you done to your car (or have previously been done) that your Insurance don't know about?

I looked at the list on the sites and here are a few examples:

Wider tyres
Wheel spacers
Suspension modifications
Exhaust modification (I'm guessing stainless sports manifolds & Gundo hacks)
Chipped
Air filter
Alloy wheels that were an optional extra
Go faster stripes
Upgraded ICE
Tinted windows
Car phone
Sports steering wheel
Braided brake hoses
Non standard respray

Pretty scary if they tried using these things against you and you're not prepared to put up a fight.

......... braided brakes hoses! ........ no I haven't informed them of that one ....... I think when a "modification" actually makes a car safer I really do think it pointless ........ but perhaps I will ponder this more before renewal ........ :?:

Insurance

If you are involved in an accident and they send a surveyor to inspect your car and they note non-standard modifications then the Insurance company are quite within their rights to state that the car was modified without them being informed and your Insurance is invalid.

They will try and avoid paying out if possible and it has happened before, non- approved mods are an easy get out clause for them.

Declare everything is what I have been told.

Sometimes it's hard though. How do you know if your engine's been remapped or it's had Dansk back boxes fitted or tracking adjusted to remove the 'safe' understeer if previous sellers haven't told you?

My car is almost stock, but upgraded brakes and wider tyres are declared on the Insurance (I run Alcon disks, SRF fluid and RS29 Pads and 245s on the front axle). It had no effect on my premium (once you are going through brokers, as long as it is close enough to stock power it is unusual to have an effect. It is only the mass markets stuff that you get through the meerkats and so on that minor mods tend to have major effects on).

If you don't want to declare it, don't change it.

alex yates said:
Someone commented on me having 295 tyres on the rear on my 996 (with 10" rims) asking if I'd notified the Insurance.

The car's been fitted with those for over 4 years and 40k miles according to the receipts so I never gave it a thought about being 'modified'.

Modified is a change to the manufacturer specification.

In the case of the 996, there are different tyre specs that meet the manufacturer specification, which includes 265/35/18 or 285/30/18

295/30/18 is for the Turbo & C4S based on wider rear wheels

When I change them I'm thinking of dropping to the 285 for noise and cost reasons (and now Insurance too).

alex yates said:
When I change them I'm thinking of dropping to the 285 for noise and cost reasons (and now Insurance too).

with 295 you would have to look at changing wheels sizes to stay within the optimum range as 265 & 285 work well with 10x18 rear wheels, beyond that you'll need 11x18's with a different offset

I have previously had the Insurance engineering assessor open my crashed bonnet with a crow bar and remove my cylinder head to inspect the engine internal for engine size... This was on a modified car with a stock engine so no big issue but they were obviously looking for a get out clause

Winny

Jcattell said:
Does a low temp thermostat fitted to reduce bore score risk constitute a mod for Insurance declaration?

No

Insurance MODS are regarded to cover visual or performance enhancements that increase the risk of theft or crashing

I have failed to update my insurer on the engine bay tidy strip (Motorraumdà¤mmmattenleiste) - not sure it's an insurable feature though.

Everything else is priced in (AFAIK circa 20 relevant mods/options) including any factory options.

They have a full list of mods and original build spec plus about a dozen photos.

I think you'll find most (reasonable) insurers won't charge an extra premium for cosmetic mods. The only mod which made any difference to my heavily modded MR2 Turbo was the ECU (and subsequent increase in power). Even then it was only £40 more.

Most older cars run a non manufacturer exhaust, as the original fell off years ago, the air filters are all non OEM, brakes and brake pads are often some shyte pattern rubbish. Also are pattern replacement suspension bits an issue, many cars have these too.The stuff that may affect things are the bigger rims, chips, upgraded ice etc. It's a grey area indeed, and perhaps we'd only find out when a claim is made.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back