Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

And they talk about 993 prices.

Endoman

Albert Park
This is one of my MGA Twin-Cams bought for £45 in 1971.
Was sold not to long ago for 30,000 euros.
I even got a mention in the sales blurb.

Attachments

• biga_111.jpg
    biga_111.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 7,797
In fairness, that's twice the age of a 993 and at the low end of 993 prices. Makes our cars look dear, I think...

(hides behind sofa)

Purchased my MGA at around the same time for similar money (£50).

Still have the car although it has been rebuilt twice in that time and was raced for 10 years. Now restored back to road use and will probably be sold later this year due to lack of use.

Tobesetc said:
In fairness, that's twice the age of a 993 and at the low end of 993 prices. Makes our cars look dear, I think...

(hides behind sofa)

I can recall considering selling my MGA in the late 70's to buy a 356 as there was very little difference in price at the time.

That tells me that a €30K MGA is a bargain. You could say that the MGA has "held it's value" (to drivers) whilst others have gone up in price and become unaffordable! (How's that for mangling the accepted use of a phrase!)

Anyway, the MGA looks beautiful!

It's an interesting point. Relatively speaking, have 993 prices really done that well?

Look at some Porsche comparables;

- Carrera GT's were £250k - £200k 2 to 3 years ago. Now £550k - £600k it seems.

- In 2011 at the Cirencester PCGB anniversary event, a 959 sold for £151k. Ok, it wasn't the greatest example but it seems they are also now worth an easy £500k.

- Carrera CS's were pretty unloved only two or three years ago. A mint example could be had for £45k. Now examples with 120k miles are going for £120k

So actually - have our cars done well?

My father had a 911 2.7 S which he paid £3k for in 1984

Enough said

Mod: why has this now been moved somewhere nobody will read it?!

We must have raced against each other Pretzel., those were the daysl.
I well remember racing against a 356 at Brands in the 70's he was quicker down the straight but hopeless in the corners

Interesting. I sold my MGA 2 years ago to (partly) fund my 993.

Endoman said:
We must have raced against each other Pretzel., those were the daysl.
I well remember racing against a 356 at Brands in the 70's he was quicker down the straight but hopeless in the corners

Quite likely, I still have all my old race programmes in the loft.

Not that many Twin-Cams raced because of perceived reliability issues, push rods were cheap and plentiful in comparison. Dennis Seabrook and Colin Jones were probably the most successful.

mohitos said:
Mod: why has this now been moved somewhere nobody will read it?!

Because some on here are fed up of 'bigging up' 993 values to try and massage the market when you clearly know it's smoke n mirrors :hand:

Pretzel said:
Purchased my MGA at around the same time for similar money (£50).

Still have the car although it has been rebuilt twice in that time and was raced for 10 years. Now restored back to road use and will probably be sold later this year due to lack of use.

I'll give you what you paid for it :thumb:

Hello The Green Man funny you should pop up as i went through Bodham in the 993 last week. :bye:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back