Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 964 experience..

igaffz said:
10w40 Semi synthetic :thumb:
Your making me want to go out a buy a new car :eek:

Ian

Oi Ian, You've got too many as it is!

Mark - congrats on getting her home and enjoy the ownership :)

I'll give you two months tops and you'll be modifying...

Chris

I have a habit of going full speed at the very beginning :)

Cheers Chris, I'm sure it won't be that long... :hand:

I must say, this car has come as a surprise to drive. I thought my girlfriend would hate it but she loves it and I'll let her take it to work once I've given it a once over. I used it to do a bit of shopping in yesterday and parked in a multi story, popped off to a country pub for a drive and Sunday roast and let the girlfriend drive it home.

Parked it's younger, bigger brother next to it

I got to spend a bit of time on the car, I removed the 90's edition mobile phone aerial and wire, found out that my mixer servo's are completely jammed so these have been removed but not opened up for investigation as yet, did a button refurb on my air recirculation button and tried to make the buttons the correct way up but this doesn't seem possible..

Also, as the undertrays are not currently fitted, it's been good to see no evidence of an oil leak on the ground :)

Much driving with no radio on has shown there to be no horrible noises, rattles or creaks. A real credit to Porsche and it's build quality.

Aerial gone!

Fan controller coming out, notice the upside down buttons!

25 years of scum?

Discovered that my reverse and fog lights were working, turns out that all of the terminals needed a good clean, once they were clean, bulbs actually worked!

The b£s&ard fan control, fully apart, springs shooting out from the buttons countless times and no way of sprinning of shuffling anything around to make the button appear the correct way! Baffled!! :?:

Thanks to Gaz, I have ordered one of these bars which hide the leading edge of the fraying sound proofing

bef9b4_693bc77178c8469bb9c3375436d5900c.jpg

Currently working out at £46 INC post thanks to the exchange rate :)

http://www.world964owners.com/#!TIDY-UP-YOUR-ENGINE-BAY-LOW-COST-MOD/c4i3/54dca8ad0cf23137e856d35d

your cracking on at a pace all good stuff, I fitted the soundproofing bar at the weekend one of the easiest best mods I`ve done to the car

I'm sure I read somewhere that replacement buttons somtimes come with the stickers on upside down :frustrated:

Ian

I had to order the bar to hide the edge of the sound proofing, things like that keep me up at night!

Ohh, well I have spent some time looking at buttons online and even those look like they would fit into my car upside down. The buttons are keyed and only fit 1 way.. Total mystery!

Look great don't they, at least the refurbed button looks good now.

I spent some time trying to get to the bottom of the non working mixer servo's. Both servos were very stiff/jammed when I first had a look, it took great force to move them but now that they have been free, I can move them with not so much force..

With a power probe and earthing pin 5, I put 12v to pin 4 on the servo's and they both move nicely! Reverse the polarity and they go the other way, great! I plugged everything back in and hoped something would happen but nothing did :(

My temperature knob activated the rear blower so I am assuming that works fine. I tried to test for voltage on pins 4/5 of the plug which goes onto the server but nothing registered even when getting someone to turn the temperature knob..

Totally stuck on this for the moment. My only options now are, remove the servo's, open up and clean. If that fails, try another CCU..

While I was under there, I oiled up the shaft on the passenger side blower as it was squeaking, now it's silent, so I did something productive!

I'm not quite sure of what your heating issue is. Please expand if you can.

I think you're sure that the rear blower is working but are the front fans working? Do they run throughout the temperature range or just when the knob is on the blue dot?

This thread is taking shape nicely :thumb:
Great work so far, as Boxey said we need a bit more info regarding the HVAC to try and help you out.
Keep enjoying it, that's the main thing!

Don't dispair, you'll get to the bottom of it :thumbs:

Ian

Thanks for the offering of help guys.

The problem, the mixer servos are totally unresponsive to the CCU.
The rear blower works and responds to the temperature knob being turned to the red dot (blower turns on) and the cold dot (blower turns off).

The front fans are working and respond to all fan speed settings and temp ranges.

With all of that, I set about testing the servos which were jammed solid upon my first inspection. After detaching the flap arms, I applied a lot of force and managed to free the servos. I thought this might have got them working again but to no avail. I then applied 12v to pin 4 and earthed pin 5 of the servo unit and the arm moved happily on both servos but they still refuse to work when wired back to the car.

That's where I am with them at the moment.

My next thoughts are to open them up and clean out any internal contact surfaces, perhaps there is an issue with communicating what positions the servo arms are back to the CCU, if the system is that intelligent..

Other than the above, try a new CCU?

I have left the mixer servos in the open position, so now I am being roasted when I drive :thumbs:

Some other progress,

I decided to finish up at the gym early and go and give the engine bay some attention. I had given some surfaces a wipe as I noticed a minor oil leak, it turned out to be from the oil filler cap, so I wiped this off, flipped the seal and did the cap up.

It didn't look like the bay had ever been cleaned, so I set about applying Autosmart G101 to all of the oily and grimey areas, followed by a scrub.

Delicate areas wrapped in foil and with the engine still warm, I gave the dirty areas a quick blast with my trusty jet wash. After some poking around, scrubbing and soaking, the bay had come up looking good. I will probably remove the blower and do it again with that out of the way.

Needs more work but certainly better.

Looking forward to getting the fan powder coated in some sort of colour to spice up the bay, probably the usual red or I may go silver.

After it got too dark to continue in there, I set about sorting out the drivers door lock where someone had clearly tried to gain entry. This was pretty easy, a simple job of removing the door card, getting inside the door and undoing the handle and then undoing a screw on the back of the barrel which then let's you pull the barrel out. As I had a spare unmarked handle, I decided to swap the internals of the barrels over so I could keep using the original key if my remote central locking were to fail etc. As very simple job and the total barrel swap took no more than 10 mins. Removing and reattaching the door card took the longest amount of time, especially in the freezing wind with my iPhone hanging out of my mouth for light!

All done!

I think that will be it until my single car day allowance over the bank holiday, girlfriend has out her foot down now!

I pretty much just plan to clean out the inner arches and machine polish it.

MarkGolf said:
Look great don't they, at least the refurbed button looks good now.

How did you refurb the face of your buttons? I have an AC CCU in my car, so my buttons are slightly different but I have the same problem that some of the black on the face has worn away leaving the white behind and you can't tell what the symbol is supposed to be.

Josh

If or when you isolate the problem to the CCU and if all else fails, I can highly recommend Frazerpart talk to Max. I sent him up my unit with blower fan working but no temp control. I don't know what he did but he sent it back working when everyone else had failed. Obviously a fraction of the cost of a new or even a 2nd hand working one.

Josh, I used a black primer on the damaged area, once dry, I painted on black plastidip. When near dry, I used a needle to shape out the end part of the arrow on the recirc button. Works brilliantly.

I'll find out the part number on the unit over the weekend, I had a break from trying to troubleshoot it last night... I have been on Tore's site so many times and for some reason, never seen that page!! :?: Thanks, will have a good read later.

Thanks for the tip jgj.

I only had an hour on the car last night so I thought I would tackle a nice quick yet satisfying job. When I first got the, only 1 bulb was working in the centre console, now none work. I had ordered some replacement bulbs thanks to Zingari.

I set about changing the 3 bulbs which cover the Hazard, central locking and warning lamp. A 10 minute job which has really made a nice difference.

When refitting this panel, I noticed that there was a similar PCB with a bulb fitted for the rear spoiler. This also didn't work, so I quickly swapped this out.

The results, a fully lit switch panel :)

If anyone knows where I can get hold of a trim panel for the rear spoiler unit, please let me know! I don't want to buy a whole new switch, I literally want the casing so that I can swap with mine due to someone drilling a random hole in it!

Thanks

The start of the parts for the repaint were ordered today. Side skirt seals, wing/scuttle panel seals, front bumper smile seal, cabin light switch covers etc etc. All from Design911 :)

Some new front tyres too, spent ages trying to decide what would be good for the car. Something for all round road use, the normal choice for me are Michelin PS2's but they do not offer a 16" tyre so I was a bit lost, harking back to my first days of buying tyres for small wheels, wondering if Toyo T1S's were still good... I ended up reading a fair few reviews and went for Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance's in the end. They had great reviews all round. Probably a waste of time as I will only end up fitting some bigger wheels in the end. :frustrated: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back