Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spectators killed at Nurburgring VLN Race - Updated

Jonathon555 said:
Senoj said:
Jonathon555 said:
***** nissan idiots, the driver was a gt academy driver. You cant take flugplatz at the same speed as on the ps3

That's a pretty unfair and incorporate comment to make.

The comment is not unfair , not sure if the comment is incorporate though ??

If you know your car has a problem , fix it.

The car is carrying too much speed

I read your post as you saying that the guy can't drive because he is used to driving on a PlayStation. Is that not what you meant?

Senoj said:
Jonathon555 said:
Senoj said:
Jonathon555 said:
***** nissan idiots, the driver was a gt academy driver. You cant take flugplatz at the same speed as on the ps3

That's a pretty unfair and incorporate comment to make.

The comment is not unfair , not sure if the comment is incorporate though ??

If you know your car has a problem , fix it.

The car is carrying too much speed

I read your post as you saying that the guy can't drive because he is used to driving on a PlayStation. Is that not what you meant?

No, the driver will now have to live with this..... Its terrible

I also just missed out on Gt Academy years ago.

Nissan had a bold idea with GT academy, but sometimes having a car that is cutting the limit on an unforgiving track is not playing games.

Jonathon555 said:
Terrible news from the ring,
Never done a track day but thought of wrecking my car as in this link is terrible, there appears to be so many 'inexperienced' drivers. Am i correct to be concerned?

diverzeusy said:
Never done a track day but thought of wrecking my car as in this link is terrible, there appears to be so many 'inexperienced' drivers. Am i correct to be concerned?

No more than 20 years ago. Nothing has changed, it is just that back when YouTube didn't exist the risks weren't as widely publicised. If driven conservatively with respect, a lack of bravado and a keen eye on your mirrors then the dangers can be mitigated. But. Motorsport is dangerous. It is all too easy to overstep your abilities or get caught out by someone who has overstepped theirs.

So yes, it is right to be concerned. But if you have a mind to drive it, it is the best.

Even Sabine Schmitz had a crash there years ago . The girl knows the track very well. It's racing, it's dangerous.

it's been coming for a while, after last years N24 antics, I'm not surprised

29-3-15
The German motorsports federation has temporarily banned GT3 cars at the Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit following Saturday's fatal incident.

A fan died on Saturday during the opening round of the VLN series after the Nissan of Jann Mardenborough got airborne at Flugplatz.

The car jumped over the barriers and landed upside down in the spectator area, killing one man and injuring two more.

On Sunday, the German motorsports federation, the DMSB, suspended the racing for certain vehicle types at the Nordschleife.

Vehicles of the SP7, SP8, SP9, SP10 and SP-X classes will not be allowed to race at the track until further notice.

The decision puts the Nurburgring 24 Hours in question, as it means no GT3 or GT4 cars would be allowed to race in the event, which takes place in May.

"We are all still deeply shocked and our thoughts are with the family of the victim," said DMSB chief Christian Schacht.

"The security of the participants and especially the spectators must be a top priority.

"Therefore, we need to analyse the details of what happened, discuss and then implement the necessary measures.

"Only after that vehicles with similar specs as the one in the accident can get back on the Nordschleife."

Mardenborough's car has been impounded by the German authorities to be analysed.

Nissan said the two other injured spectators have been released from hospital.

Mardenborough has completed a series of medical tests and has also been released.

I have to say that track is extreme.
As cars get faster and faster things have to change. Re-designing the track is one. I have driven that track often and kept saying to myself how hardcore it is. Also did walk the side of the track and for spectators it is very dangerous in some places....
Dangerous place but for some reasons I keep going back.

The track used to be far more extreme in the 70's alot of the jumps were flattened out.

But flat bottom cars act like wings when the air gets under them.

All they would need to do is a temperory chicane on flugplatz to tame a bit of speed

Theres a few of us out there weds and Thursday this week. I can imagine the locals will be reeling a bit. Lets hope they are sensible about any changes. Its one of, if not the, worlds last un sanitised circuits. Move the specataors out of harms way or slow the cars down but don't change the circuit.

Jonathon555 said:
The track used to be far more extreme in the 70's alot of the jumps were flattened out.

But flat bottom cars act like wings when the air gets under them.

All they would need to do is a temperory chicane on flugplatz to tame a bit of speed

Ultimately, the best solution is probably going to be changing the rules on the cars, but if that isn't viable (there is a lot of money invested in that metal) then tightening the radius of the subsequent right hander will do it. As things are, for slick shod racing cars the speed through flugplatz is critical as you carry the momentum all the way to SX. Thus if cars have to slow (even only slightly) immediately after the jump then the incentive to fly the crest immediately evaporates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back