Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cobalt Blue C2

Some more progress this weekend. First off, torquing up the driveshaft inner joints.

with plenty of extension bars to avoid being right under the car.

Whilst under the car, I thought I would tidy up the bumper mounting brackets

Just before I refitted the engine tins, I noticed some damage to the sheathing on the wiring loom.

Glad I spotted it. I have repaired with self amalgam wiring loom tape - I think I have forgotten to take a photo

Today has been reassembly. As I stripped down, the engine tins etc looked like this

After lots of hours, it now looks like this

A bit of a difference! I wish I had a better camera, it looks so much better in the flesh :)

Engine tin side view

Still a long way to go, but the feeling of progress is very satisfying.

Evening all

I am at that funny point of this resto, where the finishing bits seem to be taking ages. I covered fitting the sunroof seals a little while ago. Putting the sunroof back in is a fairly simple exercise. But after operating it, it was staying very low at the back.

I tried various things, but in the end trimmed the seal to remove the excessive overlap, and now have a perfectly fitted sunroof :)

I also refitted the catalytic converter today.

And it would have been rude not to start it up.... It was joyous to here it run again :D

Good work.

What's left to do? When will she be back on the road?

Pete

Target date was 6th March, as that was the sixth anniversary of ownership, but clearly that has passed. I am waiting for a few bits and piece to turn up / be finished. I will then have a week off work with a view to final assembly and MOT. In all honesty, I don't think it will ever be finished, it will continue to evolve.....!!

So, another day at the potting shed - I do wish the weather would warm up....

When stripping the car, the headlamp bowls were thankfully rust free, but clearly could do with a tidy up.

What I did find was the tab where the retaining bolt goes through had stripped its thread. So I bought some weld on nuts and put them in. The shot below is post welding but before tidying up

This week, Mark got busy with the spray gun and I now have this :)

The connector to the headlamp has seen better days........

So I bought these

And fitted up

And because I have a touch of OCD, I have bought new drain bung......

That was it for today, headlamps are going back in tomorrow.

Quick midweek update. I had a meeting finish earlier than expected this afternoon, and together with some parts arriving in the post, I had a quick session in the potting shed.

After cleaning out the threads with a tap, I waxoyled the headlamp bowls

And after fitting the new seals, popped in the headlamps.

I will pop the surrounds on tomorrow, and hopefully fit these

More sterling work our Phil. Not long now until the next project arrives???
Baby blue and all that.......

Chief

Next one was due to arrive in Rotterdam next week and then be shipped to Southampton a few days later.

I had an email yesterday - apparently it is delayed a further 3 weeks...... I joked a few months ago that I was hoping it would arrive before I go it Le Mans. Turns out my joke might have been a prophecy...

For the rest of you who have no idea what Chief and I are talking about, all will be revealed soonish.

A busy evening at the potting shed

I started by fitting the surrounds to the headlamps. The old ones were ruined - I ran the car for a couple of years without them they were so bad, so brand new ones, which as you would expect, are lovely :D

I them moved on to fit the wing mirrors. When removing the mirrors a couple of the terminals came away, do I bought new ones and fitted them - couple of photos below.

Fitting the mirrors is a fiddly business. I put on new seals, which chief covered previously. They take a lot of patience :frustrated:

I got there in the end.

Final job of the evening was to fit the head shields around the rear lights. The ones I removed were probably reusable, but would have needed a lot of tape to repair, so I bit the bullet and increased the smile on my OPC parts manager's face!

Old and new

Plenty of waxoyl applied before fitting

And fitted

I will be having a weekend without much fiddling in the potting shed. Restoration show at NEC tomorrow, classic car meeting on Sunday.

Soon Phil, soon.......
What, when and where is the classic car meet?
I'll be at the NEC show on Saturday.

I have taken advantage of the bank holiday to get a few jobs done.

New (and powder coated) wing support brackets and nice shiny fittings added

Seats re dyed - photo was before they were buffed up

I have thought long and hard about getting the seats recovered. The piping (obscured by the masking tape) isn't brilliant, but I quite like the lived in look

Now the door mirror are on and everything working, I thoughts some rustproofing was appropriate, so out with this. As ever, it was rather cold in the workshop - I had to heat up the Dinatrol to get it to spray.....

And generously applied leaves them looking like this

Chief popped in yesterday, he reckons it adds a couple of kilos to each door! I have been around and made sure the drain holes are clear. New door membranes trial fitted

These are now in place but I haven't taken a photo

Next job is to replace the old speakers........

......with some nice, shiny new ones

No stone left unturned, nice work :thumb:

Cheers,
Paul

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back