Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 964 experience..

Thanks! That will be the first thing I check once it's home. I don't think I will be slamming this, I would like the take the front end down a touch however, I heard that the front shocks have some height adjustment in them, is this true?

I would love to save myself the effort but I just cannot leave the paint how it is, it goes against everything I do when it comes to cars.

Are there any recommended upgrades I should make to this? I am itching to buy bits and pieces but not sure what it needs/what is advised.

:)

MarkGolf said:
I would love to save myself the effort but I just cannot leave the paint how it is, it goes against everything I do when it comes to cars.

I would be the same, would be ace to keep but how much better will that car look when the paint is immaculate. With your attention to detail it will be a brilliant example.

MarkGolf said:
I would like the take the front end down a touch however, I heard that the front shocks have some height adjustment in them, is this true?

Not if they are the standard shocks, so no.

MarkGolf said:
Are there any recommended upgrades I should make to this? I am itching to buy bits and pieces but not sure what it needs/what is advised.

You're certainly on the right forum.

First I'd be driving it and getting to know it, any funny noises to fix, oil leaks from oil pipes, state of dizzy caps and rotors, dizzy drive belt, oil, filter and plugs. Don't overlook your tiptronic gearbox either, they respond well to an oil and filter change as they get overlooked. Get the front end down, coil overs or koni fsd's. Once she's tip top you can mod her however you want :thumb:
Don't get to worried about engine leaks unless it going on you drive, lot's of gaskets and rubber seals getting crazy hot and causing leaks!
The fan in the engine bay pushes air to your blowers giving them a helping hand, Google will give you more info. Mine used to stick on hot but it fixed itself! Probably shouldn't have said that :eek:

Ian

Thanks again for the advice.

deutschland-dobson - That's my baby, began pulling it apart to add a turbo but gave up on that idea for the moment so the front end is all going back on so I can give it a run to some shows this year.

Great advice Ian, I often get ahead of myself but I have already got a list of minor bits to do straight away. I do plan on a gearbox fluid change, something I always do as it is often overlooked, especially with an auto, I have had bad experience in the past so fingers crossed that this lasts.

Thanks very much for those links Gaz, thanks to you I have sent an email about purchasing one of those metal brackets that tidy up the engine bay sound proofing. LED headlights as I hear the standard ones are like candles and learnt about my heating system :)

Been a VERY long day, I'm going to be picking it up at 6pm and no doubt I'll be there dead on. I have planned the first jobs on it so hopefully they work out! I'll have some updates over the weekend : :lol: :grin: :Dance-Tap: :mechanic: :fight: :cloud9:

My tip box used to slam into gear at junctions sometimes and had me really worried, I changed the oil and filter and it's been perfect for 5 years thank god!

Ian

It's now in my hands! :D

With the 964 only being 10 minutes from my home and my parents being in between, I went along with my Dad as the taxi, we arrived to collect it dead on time and was welcomed by a view of the 964 in its same pink state with a pile of spares next to it.

When I initially viewed the car, I was so excited at the opportunity, I pretty much forgot to check anything!! So even though I had already paid for the car, I thought I'd have a proper look underneath, see the service book and receipts. All were as initially described and ok anyway.

The excitement was then all dampened by a phone call from my mum who had just been in a car accident with her friend whom was driving... So, everything loaded up into my Dads car and off we shot through the Friday escape traffic, I then got another call to say not to worry about coming as the police were dropping her home and apart from pains caused by the seat belt, she's ok.

That all aside and everything settled, I went about unloading the cars and taking a close look around the car. Nothing I hadn't seen before apart from some bubbling to the lower rear wings. No major oil leaks, just appears to be one from a rocker cover, interior is in perfect order, needs new tyres as they're low and cracking, I fixed the rear wiper by yanking it into position, this seemed to free it up and now works! :wink:

initial thoughts on the car,
Wipers in my view are annoying
Brake pedal feels odd compared to other cars
Auto works very well
Radio is far away
Annoying intermittent squeal from under dash (fan?)
Picks up speed fast!
I got a 964 :worship:

Chuffed with the rear wiper now working, I didn't bother checking why it doesn't blow hot air, i wanted to see if I could make it red ( SORRY, I just couldn't resist)
So out came my paint depth gauge, my machine and pads, Polish etc etc and I went straight for it.. After a very short while, I could see the guards red gleaming away. As it was now very dark, I had to call it a night and leave the car looking like a 50/50 demonstration car. I set off to get home (I do most work at parents place) and stopped in a petrol station for pictures.

The side I only went over with a quick detailer with..

The side I did quickly with the polisher, farrrrr from refined

Once home, I brought all of the paperwork and smaller spares in to have a good look through. This was pretty fun, just seeing where the car has been, names of previous owners, work performed etc. all of the original porsche supplied books, key sets, original alarm documentation and fobs, spare belts, gearbox filter etc all very exciting.

The car has a full recorded service history upto 2007/71500 miles. I know the previous owner did all the work himself in terms of servicing and he's told me that he did an oil change in Jan and did at least 1 a year.. The car now has 79700 miles. Regardless of what has been done, I plan on giving the car a thorough going over, if that means booking it into somewhere or doing it myself, I am not sure right now..

With some of the new spares, a new key head was included so I got to work with swapping this on the main key. Happy with my new key and now approx 12:30pm, I decided to go out for a drive.

With roads being empty, I got to have a fairly spirited drive which has left me feeling very smug and impressed, for something so old (in my books), it drives so perfectly, it is no slouch and I love the weight of the steering, the brakes work tremendously well and the interior of the car does rattle one bit! Wow.

A couple of questions..

What is the rocker switch above the ignition for?

Are the icons for the hazard and locking button in the centre meant to light up?

What engine oil is recommended?

My finger is now numb from taping the iPad and I've got to get out of bed so I can take it out for the day :)

Looking good :thumb:

The rocker switch I think switches power to set the door mirror left/right.

Engine oil will result in a subjective debate but most respected Indy now recommend a semi-synthetic like Castrol Magnatec

Yes the centre console lights should illuminate. Common burn out and you need to solder new bulbs to the PCB which is easy to do:

These are the bulbs I used (standard dash bulbs but shaping the wires to fit the PCB:
L1010128_zps8445bd37.jpg

Removing this original type:
L1010129_zps01559569.jpg

IIRC you can only buy the full PCB from OPC whoch will be expensive!

10w40 Semi synthetic :thumb:
Your making me want to go out a buy a new car :eek:

Ian

Zingari said:
Looking good :thumb:

The rocker switch I think switches power to set the door mirror left/right.

No that one is to the left of the steering wheel.

Rocker switches to the right are to set the time on the clock (blank one) and to operate the intensive wash wiper (symbol one).

Blimey, 10w/40! Didnt expect that, at least it's cheap :)

Thanks on the buttons, I wasn't being patient enough!

I spent a while today just trying to work out why my front window de mister button and recirculating one are upside down, took them out and just can't understand it, it's not a case of just spinning them around, I took one button totally apart and some minute springs shot out, Grrrr. Managed to find them though.

I also tried to move the mixer flap servo and they are both majorly stiff, I have left them both half open so I can get some heat which I did after a drive, so these need further investigation. So no progress as such today. :(

Good stuff.

Don't try to fix everything overnight.

Take your time.

It's waited 25 years for your love, another week or two won't hurt.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back