Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Viewing a GT3 - what to look for?

Skyman

I test drove the particular car over three weeks ago, placed a holding deposit on it and since then I have been waiting for the OPC to complete their fettling. I am told the car is now ready for viewing, which I shall do tomorrow. I intend to give it a thorough going over, but if anyone has any particular things to look out for in a Gen 2 car, then that would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Amongst many other things i would say over revs and crash damage.

kas750 said:

Sounds like it's an OPC car, in which case, shouldn't that all check out?

securitycheck said:
kas750 said:

Sounds like it's an OPC car, in which case, shouldn't that all check out?

You would like to think so - but as the buyer of the orange RS found out its not always the case - and Porsche basically told him tough!

kas750 said:
Got the former, as a print out from the dealer. Only RR1 is registered at 335 of 625 hours, which I am happy with. I have asked the dealer to provide a full schedule of work undertaken on the car during the prep process. They also supplied the car to the original and only owner.

kas750 said:

Unlikely from an Opc. But this is the chance to get all the wear and tear items as fresh as possible. Especially in today's top dollar market...

Personally I would want the clutch to feel good, it will be heavy but not stodgy, the box will feel pretty awful until the car is will warmed up and even then you need to be pushing on a bit for it to start to feel great. I would expect the brakes to be 95% new with some very minor cracking on the rotors at worst, 6mm + on the tyres. Nice clean alcantara on the steering wheel and gear shift. Most Opc cars will have had front end paint, don't worry about it. Check that all the recalls have been done. Check the rear stone guard vinyls are not yellowish, check front spoiler is near perfect, if not these should be new as they are cheap enough for the Opc.check the screen for chips, these are a grand to replace. Sevice intervals are two years or 12k miles, don't let the dealer tell you it's 20k miles interval.

That's my 2p, having had three of them..

Great info. Thanks.
I do know that the workshop insisted on new discs and pads, and it has been serviced by them.

Check the front wheel arch sills and the rear arch PU area for gravel rash these areas are the first to show mileage wear on the Body work. As Danny said clutches are normally heavy, but be careful here as some of these cars where set up badly from the factory which leads to excessive wear in the gear box, symptoms are a heavy clutch, so test a few before buying. The clutch should be firm but not heavy, sutle difference,but could cost £10k to fix.

You will here a lot of people go on and on about over revs RR1 - 6 you will have to decide what you think is exceptible, but Porsche warrenty cars upto RR2s.

All good points.

Just to be clear, Porsche will warranty up to RR4. However, they may ask to do an cylinder test if one has not been done before. Following the test, they should not ask for a retest ever again unless there are new events in the higher ranges.

Just on an aside....
I think we can safely say the overrev thing has become OTT.

During an environment where there are two identical cars one with cleaner rev ranges, I can understand one going for the cleaner car regardless whether there is any material risk or not.

...but times are changing and the choice is not there. For example there is a 996 mk2 comfort in Guards Red with buckets and cage on PH today. Say hypothetically it had some minor historic overrevs, would I want to miss out on it?....hell no! Get it bought!

Anyway, good luck with the search

The car had great provenance, over £8k just spent on prep by the OPC, but cosmetically let down a bit. Also, not sure black suits the GT3 best. White? Perhaps the one at JZM?
Or a LHD 991 from France.😘

8k spent and the cosmetics were not good??.. I must say that the car looked a little drab in the pictures but colour is a very subjective thing.

kas750 said:
8k spent and the cosmetics were not good??.. I must say that the car looked a little drab in the pictures but colour is a very subjective thing.
Yes, drab is the word. The cost quoted actually excluded the paintwork. There was a strange triangular indent in the roofline just behind the central windscreen area. Apparently a third party GPS antenna had been removed. Could have been that.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back