Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

***Non-Turbo 996 owners - Please read - IMS DATA REQUIRED***

alex yates said:
jonttt said:
I thought porsche had done this in disclosure during the usa legal case. If anything they would have down played the stats disclosed not played them up. I can't see how you are ever going to get better than that in terms of reliable stats :cop:

Maybe all the bad ones have failed. Maybe one will never fail again,:dont know:
all I'm trying to understand is - what's the situation with IMS bearing failures in today's climate cos I've never seen one yet! But I know it's reputation has crippled the model.

If every member who owned a 996 responded to this post with data on their car it would represent what was happening. There must be at lLeast 200 members with NA 996s.

OK, so you want to see what percentage of regular forum users have had IMS bearing failures, fine just not sure what that will prove :dont know:

You are trying to prove the actual current incidence based on that small sample will show the actual failure rate is less than the that quoted in the USA class action. I'm sure it will. I am also sure that will not affect the supressed value of these cars based on the problem.

Are you also going to include bore scoring which is (probably) more common and based on the recent comments made by Hartech on here (the accepted experts in the UK) likely to happen to all 996's at some point :dont know:

Ie how can you expect just looking at one of the major issues to affect values :dont know:

No doubting your motives but short of the DVLA forcing current owners to respond to a questionnaire about all known issues it will never be achievable.

To me a combination of the USA class action stats as a baseline AND the likely reasons for the IMS failure as discussed on the recent (great IMHO) IMS failure thread would be more meaningful information ie a combination of an assumed baseline and likely variance to this over time given the likely root cause (combination of manufacturing tolerance and bearing seal failure, both affecting cars at different mileage ranges )

Here goes from memory:

date inputted: 04/03/15
member: scottuk
model: 996 Carrera 4S
engine size: 3.6
purchase date: 2012
date registered: 2003
mileage (at purchase): 56000
mileage (now): 60000
bearing (orig./replacement): assumed original as nothing to say otherwise in my service file.
comment: I'm not superstitious, but I do have my fingers crossed
:?

:thumb: Thanks.

Alex,

Of course it's not statistically accurate, but still an interesting survey. Well done.

member: screwy
model: 996.2 C4S Tip
purchase date: 01/02/14
date registered: 26/11/02
mileage (at purchase): 93000
mileage (now): 98000
bearing (orig./replacement): Replacement (LN)
failure data (if applicable): N/A
comment: I had the bearing replaced when I bought the car as a preventative maintenance thing. (The original turned out to be fine BTW). If I had my time over I wouldn't bother. Like you Alex, I think most if not all IMS failures have already happened.

Peter Morgan did an great article in March's GT Porsche mag, trying to bring the whole M96/M97 engine issue debate up to date. He references the experiences of multiple dealers that he has regular contact with. It's a good read. IMS failure does not feature as a major issue.

As requested:
member: ARob22
model: 996 40th Anniversary
purchase date: 13/12/14
date registered: 06/01/04
mileage (at purchase): 58,990
mileage (now): 59,500
bearing (orig./replacement): Original (assumed, see below)
failure data (if applicable): N/A
comment: have 90% of service history (OPC first 7 years & Indie(s) there after) with no mention of replacement so assume original.

More data required members!

Here goes from memory:

member: Bam
model: 996 Carrera 2
purchase date: June 2014
date registered: 2003
mileage (at purchase): 115,000
mileage (now): 120,000
bearing (orig./replacement): original , full dealer and indy service history no bills for ims
comment: today the car is at zentrum having the rms done, he said he would ring if it needed the ims , no phone call just a text to say car is ready .

date inputted: 04/03/2015
member: gilessav
model: C4S Tip
purchased: Feb 22nd 2014
mileage at purchase: 66500
mileage now: 71900
bearing: original
Comment: left IMS alone with RMS change on Indi recommendation.

:thumb:

Good effort Alex- thanks :)

Here goes from memory:

member: declandio
model: 996 Carrera Garden Variety Tiptronic
engine size: 3.4
purchase date: Oct 2014
date registered: 1999
mileage (at purchase): 112,000
mileage (now): 116,000
bearing (orig./replacement): assumed original
comment: I find that I never use the stereo and always have a window cracked open slightly, to help me listen out for impending implosion! I blame the Internet for this paranoia.

:thumb: Thanks.

good luck Alex!

member: porschefan777
model: C4 Man
engine size: 3.4
purchased: July 2014
mileage at purchase: 75000
mileage now: 80000
Comment: Get in - turn key - drive - smile :)

good luck Alex!

member: 955matt
model: targa
purchased: July 2014
mileage at purchase: 59876
mileage now: 65789
Comment: speaking to more than a couple of porsche garages they say ims and bore scoring are not that common , mostly blown up on the Internet on forums ( what a surprise ) working in a landrover garage as a manager I dread the words I've been on the forums because they are full of rubbish. I'm not saying is doesn't happen just its not a common as people would make out.

The more we make of this the more it will hurt our pockets

Sorry just my two pence worth , I'll get my coat now

Matt

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back