Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cobalt Blue C2

Morning all. I took a day off work yesterday to get on some progress. I bought the 24,000 service kit a while ago but have been putting it off until I could sneak onto my mates ramp. It became free yesterday, so I no longer had any excuses.......

After scrabbling around the workshop, I remembered where I had left the box - and the fuel filter I had bought.

opening it up

A quick comparison of oil and new fuel filters. Not a terrible job to do, but you may need the skills of a gynaecologist to get at it.....

Shiny new air filter

And another shiny new oil pipe to fit

An unusual view of the car - you can just about see me underneath changing spark plugs

And talking a practical approach to turning the engine over whilst checking valve adjustment

Right, need to leave the comfort of home and go and finish off the 24,000 service......

Great stuff.

Slightly confused as to why you didn't just lower the ramp, rather than getting steps!

:?

Great stuff Phil,
This thread just gets better with each post.
The Potting Shed is fast becoming a Mecca for all Porsche nuts :grin:
I guess you haven't started on the valve clearances, as you still look like you have the will to live in the photos :p

Pete

I was using the steps when doing valve clearances - easier to pop up and down a ladder that to keep sending ramp up and down..

Chief

Valve clearances done - that is an hour of my life I won't get back......

Quick Sunday update

Valve clearances done....

Valve covers back on - even correctly torqued - although I had to text Chief to get the correct torque settings

And all back together

Okay, I admit, not the most exciting update, but it is progress...

Another cold day of fiddling. Many moons ago I described the joyous process of removing the exhaust manifolds / heat exchangers. I was left with two broken studs. Various stud extractors, heat, more stud extractors and swearing still left me with two broken studs that refused to move. I ended up drilling up the centre of them and retreading the holes. Whilst this sounds simple, I can assure you it has been one of the most annoying tasks I have done in a while, with lots of broken drill bits. I think the low point was when, after completing the drilling, I broke a tap in the hole, then had to drill the tap out - resulting in more drilling....... :frustrated:

Anyway, I got there in the end.

Shiny new studs in place

And the shiny new oil pipe as well

And after some wrestling and wiggling, the manifolds back in place

As ever, these have all gone back in place with brand news studs, nut, bolts and gaskets.

Right, off for a rest - my arms and shoulders are knackered......

More good work there Phil. Your engine looks so clean. Well gell!

What you doing about the engine tinwear :dont know: That fibreglass option looks to be a good move.

Also out of curiosity where are the 'head studs' located as I know some engines have needed to be rebuilt just beacuse a head stud has broken :what: Are they the rusty looking one recessed under the valve covers :?:

Zingari

Not sure which ones the head bolts are - I didn't find any broken bolts, and leaving engine internals alone until one day I shell out for an engine rebuild. Engine tins - brand new original parts, which have been powder coats. Probably fir those next week.

I'm guessing it must be bloomin cold in the Potting Shed Phil, there's a few typo's in your reply to Brian :grin:

Chief

I don't think my iPhone understands Porsches...... :pc:

The temperature in the potting shed is hovering above freezing, so some progress is being made.

I started on the driveshafts this evening. as you can see, the boots were past their best.....

I would love to have taken more photos, but it is a dirty old job. But I did strip the CV joint, cleaned it in paraffin, and reassembled and regreased.

In its component parts

New boot

And new bolts / nuts for refitting tomorrow

Brilliant Phil, looks like the freeze spray or as we reckoned with the Potting Shed heating up spray did the trick! I'll pop over later after removing my wheel studs. Or if it doesn't go to plan, I'll be over for commiseration coffee :frustrated:

Hi Phil,

Great thread. been scaring myself stupid this week reading resto jobs on 911UK.

Are you not stripping the driveshafts? I feel uneasy putting new CV boots over heavily corroded drive shafts.

J

James

As you will see from my thread, I have stripped the inner joints. I was intending on doing the same with the outer joint, I have even bought the tool to strip the joint from the shaft, but they appear pretty new. The rusty bit you can see is not the joint, it is a piece between the CV joint and the rubber boot. It is a pretty thick piece of metal, the jointing face and the inside are perfect. Therefore no point in replacing them. If there was any sign of weakness, they would have been in the bin.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back