Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion

AndrewM said:
Beebman, any joy sourcing PDK shifters?

Hi AndrewM,

They should be here today. Here's the eBay item code - 261741748312. The seller was happy to send from Germany, but will only accept bank transfer. :D

regards
shaun

Excellent! Will they fit on a standard tip wheel?

Was looking at various pictures and the long thin paddles may have something to do with some obstruction of the instrumentation from wider paddles. Just a thought. do the AMG paddles block off any of the two edge instruments?

Very keen to see how you get on as I'd very much like to do this mod.

Hi Andrew - I installed the Mercedes paddles a week ago and have clearly been fiddling with them since!!!

I haven't noticed any interference with the paddles at all - they feel rock solid unless you try to use them by pulling the tips.
I took a look at the OEM paddles and they look to be far thicker - not sure how close to the indicators they will be when installed - I am sure that beebman will soon be able to fit them and let us know - the AMG paddles are easy because there is just one screw required to fix them - the OEM paddle looks like it needs 2 (might make it more stable!) but it also looks like it will be more flush against the back of the wheel.

Hi All,

I've got the Porsche Paddles and have had a chance to look at how they work. They are different from the AMG Paddles as they use an optical switch mechanism. This is why there are 3 wires on the connector. The wires are +V, a -V and a return which drops the voltage from 5V to 2V when you pull the paddle. I'll have to test them on the car next to see if I can get them to work. I'll post an update once I've tested the paddles on the car.

shaun

beebman said:
Hi All,

I've got the Porsche Paddles and have had a chance to look at how they work. They are different from the AMG Paddles as they use an optical switch mechanism. This is why there are 3 wires on the connector. The wires are +V, a -V and a return which drops the voltage from 5V to 2V when you pull the paddle. I'll have to test them on the car next to see if I can get them to work. I'll post an update once I've tested the paddles on the car.

shaun
By the sounds of the extra wire it sounds like it's to blip the throttle when changing

Finally got mine fitted and working, fitted mine on to stand offs, firstly it gives more space for fingers and thumbs, still clears other controls and hides back off switchs, if done like this you only need 2 small holes on each side and no cutting out, not took it out on roads yet cant wait.

Attachments

• 997_paddles1_996.jpg
    997_paddles1_996.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 10,704
Looks great Ron. Any more pics? And where did you get the paddles?

Hi Andrew, Another shot from the front, the paddles are AMG off ebay £60.00, I have kept my old wheel in case I want to go back, the difficult bit in profiling the mounts, was thinking of getting some 3D printed but happy for now just to get it running again. Had a bit of a scare when I got it all back together, reconnected the battery, switch on the ignition and every fault you can think of came up tried to start it but every thing went mad windows half down solenoid bouncing, battery had completely failed wouldn't take a charge. New battery fitted and now everything back to normal thank god.

Attachments

• 997paddle2_144.jpg
    997paddle2_144.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 10,673
I have a secondhand Multi function wheel coming, (won off ebay).

Need to decide which paddles.

Ron, I like yours.

Medicus, I will pm you my email.

no problems sir, I will try to help anyway I can, I have now completed 7 of these (996) 3 spoke steering wheels, and sold 4 on ebay, the other 3 were for friends who have 996-2 tiptronic cars.

absolute must is the AMG alloy paddle shifters, the quality is superb, however the polish seller who had them for £60 has no more ,I bought the last 3 sets he had, now you will be lucky to get them for under £125, better going straight to Mercedes, they will be circa £118 plus the dreaded.

fit them flush also or you will put far to much strain on the wheel, and its only rubber.
just make a template and use a dremel to cut the rubber away, it does not matter how much you remove, because the paddle hides everything, and you can still secure them with a inch by inch square of alloy with a central hole drilled, or a suitable large washer?
they don't take any stress so to speak, and AMG have them secured with a self tapper (lol)
2 wire connection makes wiring a doddle.

medicus said:
no problems sir, I will try to help anyway I can, I have now completed 7 of these (996) 3 spoke steering wheels, and sold 4 on ebay, the other 3 were for friends who have 996-2 tiptronic cars.

absolute must is the AMG alloy paddle shifters, the quality is superb, however the polish seller who had them for £60 has no more ,I bought the last 3 sets he had, now you will be lucky to get them for under £125, better going straight to Mercedes, they will be circa £118 plus the dreaded.

fit them flush also or you will put far to much strain on the wheel, and its only rubber.
just make a template and use a dremel to cut the rubber away, it does not matter how much you remove, because the paddle hides everything, and you can still secure them with a inch by inch square of alloy with a central hole drilled, or a suitable large washer?
they don't take any stress so to speak, and AMG have them secured with a self tapper (lol)
2 wire connection makes wiring a doddle.

You sir are a gentleman.

AndrewM said:
Beebman, did you ever get the PDK paddles fitted?

Hi AndrewM,

haven't got around to it yet as I've been distracted by house hunting. Will try to get around to it as soon as poss.

regards

shaun

Hi All,

Finally got around to working out voltages etc for the Porsche paddles. Unfortunately, it look like they wont work as the voltages are different. The Porsche paddles produce 3v which drops to 0v when you pull the paddle. This is the same for both paddles. The AMG paddles go from 5v to 3v on the down paddle and 5v to 2v on the up paddle. I imagine the only way around this would be to change the steering control module. If anyone has any ideas how we could easily get round these voltage issues it would be most appreciated.

shaun :?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back