Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Now official, the £64k 3.8 litre 385hp Porsche Cayman GT4

As none are available to test drive and i have expressed my interest in one with hatfield, i would like to know if its going to be as stiffly sprung as a 996 gt3 (considerig the spring rates are greater than it but has pasm) or abit more damp shall we say

While gearbox, will bang through the gears quickly or be more tourer?

Or would you rather just talk about the financial aspects of a car and not the mechanical?

Uses 991 GT3 suspension (settings), and therefore PASM with it :cloud9:

Gearbox will be normal 981 (991) feel (AFAIK no standard SSK).

The UK allocation looks like it has more than sold, bit academic really.

kingston said:
As none are available to test drive and i have expressed my interest in one with hatfield, i would like to know if its going to be as stiffly sprung as a 996 gt3 (considerig the spring rates are greater than it but has pasm) or abit more damp shall we say

While gearbox, will bang through the gears quickly or be more tourer?

Or would you rather just talk about the financial aspects of a car and not the mechanical?

wow the happiness in this thread is just like one doing a wet fart.

Dont think Hatfield have announced who is getting one yet... Should i be fortunate enough, i would like to know whether swapping a 996 GT3 for one would be a good move with regards to how it feels on the road.

Or if im unable to get one, see how it would have felt on the road considering the spring rates and pasm (of which i dont because alpha male).

So by the sounds of it, the gearbox is not set-up for quickly banging through it but more touring/big power circuits.

Have you driven a standard 981 manual?

More snickerty than a snickerty thing.

GT4 said:
Uses 991 GT3 suspension (settings), and therefore PASM with it :cloud9:

Gearbox will be normal 981 (991) feel (AFAIK no standard SSK).

The rear springs are not quite as stiff as the GT3 due to the different distribution of weight.

I have an order in but haven't heard if I'll get one yet. Never found it so hard to spend £70k!

But they will have the same effective stiffness in feel.

Is there nothing else in the line up past or present thats easily test driveable thats the same then?

Is there anything else like the entirely new GT4?

Well it's either yes, a 981cS manual or it's no.

Depends on how similar you mean.

I suppose by concept, the 987cR is closest.

GT4 said:
Is there anything else like the entirely new GT4?

No. For different reasons, the closest equivalents (by roughly equal measure) would be a 981 GTS or a 987 R. However, the availability of a factory cage and harnesses, the properly adjustable suspension with split arms and GT3 braking system are without precedent and make the GT4 the only Boxster derivative that could genuinely claim to have track suitability out of the box.

You certainly cannot compare it to Caterhams or Lotuses as some have - same use case but nothing like the same kind of product.

Porsche GB have really failed with the allocation for GT cars again though - as with previous models they have not secured enough cars to meet UK demand (the whole 2 year production for GB being sold within 2 days) whereas reports are that cars can be had on the continent for delivery in time for summer.

My question was rhetorical, in response to:

kingston said:
Is there nothing else in the line up past or present thats easily test driveable thats the same then?

And the answer depends on how precisely Kingston is using the term "the same"!

981cS is at least easily test drivable.

Personally, the very asking of the question undermines what the GT4 stands for.

Like asking if a Carrera S or GTS tell you what a GT3 drives like.

I mean on the most basic level it does (over, say a Land Rover), but entirely misses the essence of the GT3.

There is nothing else!

i meant suspension firmness

UK orders?

Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong area, I'm new here.

I have a deposit in with a UK dealer. It felt like I had to persuade them to take my money. I sent an expression of interest 18 months ago. Anyway...

I'm told they're taking deposits until the 28th Feb, which is when they'll receive allocations and they'll get back to us beginning of Mach to allocate slots to the 'winners'.

Does everyone else have a similar story?

Best regards,

Will

Re: UK orders?

flyboywill said:
Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong area, I'm new here.

I have a deposit in with a UK dealer. It felt like I had to persuade them to take my money. I sent an expression of interest 18 months ago. Anyway...

I'm told they're taking deposits until the 28th Feb, which is when they'll receive allocations and they'll get back to us beginning of Mach to allocate slots to the 'winners'.

Does everyone else have a similar story?

Best regards,

Will

There is a thread over on Pistonheads about it. Basically they are expecting at most half as many cars as they have taken deposits in the UK due to Porsche GB securing a woefully inadequate allocation of the production (as they do with all limited production capacity vehicles). The expectation is that who gets the cars will be the people who run the most revenue through the dealer principle's books, but at this point that is pure speculation. Suffice to say - any major regular customers (especially 918 buyers) who want a car are likely to be bumped higher up the list than people who are only interested in the GT4 itself as a specific purchase. There have been a number of reports of OPCs refusing to take deposits from people since less than a week after the cars announcement as they didn't want to take money from people with no chance of getting a car.

At this point, there really isn't anything that you can do but wait and hope. If you would settle for left hand drive there is anecdotally no such allocation issue from buying on the continent, but overseas dealers are reportedly not inclined to try and source a UK C16 for you.

In a week or so the situation will be better known anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back