Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion

AndrewM said:
Looks like a top job. You posted previously that you would do a full guide. Is that still on the cards?

I'll probably put something together when I convert my actual wheel. At the moment I'm testing the grey wheel to make sure everything works correctly.

shaun :thumb:

And if someone could insert the relevant tech bits for multi func wheels re resistors etc, that would be really helpful...

Hi All,

While nosing on the net last night for Porsche bits, I came across the company that make the paddles for the Porsche Design Steering Wheels.

http://hdo-gmbh.com/cms/en/content/steering-wheel-switch-paddle#

It turns out that they make the paddles for K & L / TRW who provide Porsche parts. I wondered if you could source them directly for the manufacturer or the reseller and save some money as well as having the correct paddles on the car. Anyone got any idea of how you would go about sourcing item directly from suppliers?

shaun :?:

Damn Beebman - respect. you must have balls of steel to try this 1st!!

well that and a spare wheel ;-)

my paddles arrived yesterday and i spent the best part of 4 hours today making them work.

scary moments drilling a hole into the wheel and then cutting squares out...
couple of photos on the next post.

Apologies I didn't get the chance to make a how to - I did this from my office..
anybody has questions feel free to PM me.

I can confirm that for the sport wheel with no multifunction, no resistors are required - very simple to connect 4 cables.

upshift - yellow cable to the white (more dark cream) colour, black to black
down shift, red to the yellow cable on the paddle, black to black.

if you look carefully you will notice i got the down shifter wrong- it is a little higher than the up shifter - i placed it in the right place but when i drills the hole for the securing bolt i drilled at the wrong angle.

the paddles don't fit 100% at the rear - clearly that would be a miracle if the wheels had 100% the same shape and form but they feel rock solid

however I am a happy bunny - paddles and buttons all work perfectly.

thanks also to Klaus for the schematics

pictures....

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

looking at your photos here, I see you did not opt for recessing the shift paddle's completely, as you can see the small brass pin etc., I made mine completely flush, by cutting more of the old steering wheel away, as the paddle's were flat, and the wheel convex, it was awkward, but with a bit of black mastic, it looks factory fresh.
I have done 5 of these now, and its true what they say about getting better each time (lol) I have the first prototype on my car, done about a year ago, and the latest ones are away with jack at royal steering wheels, being re trimmed this week.
great job anyway sir, well done.

on a separate note, I ran the original wires from my tip buttons down through the clock spring, and left them unconnected by my centre console, im in two minds as to what to use the redundant buttons for? im thinking perhaps radio volume, or possible passenger seat backrest, for the young ladies?????

obviously you can have them as tip control, but why have both button and paddle? better use them for some other electrical function, like rear spoiler up?
what do you lot think?

AndrewM said:
I was considering what these would be like today but it seems to me that the indicator stalks are very close to the wheel. do they interfere with the use of them?

Andrew - no more than on any other car - I have an Audi with paddles and they are a similar gap.
you just need to be careful with the placement - any further out to the side and they would get in the way i think.

But if you look at other cars - these are in pretty much the same position close enough to be easy to get to but not be in the way of your thumb

Actually you need to be very careful with the placement to make sure that the screw connecting them isn't in the way of the original switch - it is apparent when you have the airbag off and look where you would need to drill a hole for a screw..

Hi medicus - not sure how I could recess more - I cut down to the metal. I guess I could reces the entire unit by cutting the hole larger?

Can you post/PM me a picture of how yours looks finished back there?

mkoenigsheim said:
Hi medicus - not sure how I could recess more - I cut down to the metal. I guess I could reces the entire unit by cutting the hole larger?

Can you post/PM me a picture of how yours looks finished back there?

of course, if you can PM me your email address or mobile number i will send you some photos,(i dont know how to upload them....its an age thing) there might be a difference as all my wheels are 996, and there is only a small strip of aluminium and mostly hard rubber, i used a 2" x 1" piece of with a hole drilled in the centre to secure, and put a little V bend on it so it sat nice and flush, i then put some black rubber mastic over everything, so it tidy'd up the inside.

i did cut everything away except to allow the flange on the paddles to sit recessed, they are very solid. and a year on i have had no issues.

carruthers said:
Anyone done this sort of thing with a PDK wheel ?

It should be possible. The paddles on the PDK wheel have a 3 wire connection, so not quite sure what the switches are doing. I'm in the process of trying to buy a set of PDK paddles from Germany. if I manage to get a set i'll work out what they are doing and post the results. Would be nice if you could just mod the Sport Design PDK wheel, the cost puts me of though.

shaun :?:

Hi beebman, Just finished my modified steering wheel, 05 997 Carrera, paddles fitted. Was going to do away with the original switches, when I stripped the original none multi wheel the small PCB with the shift buttons on does have a resistor mounted on it and when checking with a meter it would appear that this is switched. Can I ignore these and simply connect as described above? Failing that I could wire my new switch in parallel and conceal the old switches within the new wheel casing. Regards Ron.

RonMinch said:
Hi beebman, Just finished my modified steering wheel, 05 997 Carrera, paddles fitted. Was going to do away with the original switches, when I stripped the original none multi wheel the small PCB with the shift buttons on does have a resistor mounted on it and when checking with a meter it would appear that this is switched. Can I ignore these and simply connect as described above? Failing that I could wire my new switch in parallel and conceal the old switches within the new wheel casing. Regards Ron.

Hi Ron,

If you have a multifunction wheel you will need to wire resistors in line with the paddles. wire the paddles into the existing switch connector, but don't connect it upto the existing switches. if you do this you will lose you multifunction. if you look at earlier post, the resistors needed are listed.

good luck
shaun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back