Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion

mkoenigsheim said:
Wow - this has been on my todo since i got the car - if anybody can find the how to link or do a write up I would be the happiest guy in Germany....

I have a tip car with no multifunction.

Hi mkoenigsheim

Just follow the instructions below for wiring paddles to a standard Tiptronic steering wheel. I'll hopefully do a write up or something when I've finished my wheel.

good luck
shaun

you have a connector on each Tiptronic switch, this is where you need to connect the wires from the paddle too.

Tiptronic Wiring

For the UP paddle (Right hand side)
A8 - White (tip control)
A7 - Black (Earth)

For the Down paddle (Left hand side)
A8 - Red (Tip Control)
A7 - Black (Earth)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a9fd10e20

Thanks Craig - Moritz also sent me the schematic. I knew this must be possible but wasn't brave enough o do what you did :worship:

I am relatively good with electronics and soldering - rewired the 997.2 switch box last year into my car.

I have ordered the paddles so soon i will be giving it a go as well...

worst case I will be trawling eBay for a new wheel next month ':D'

I was looking into doing this on my Mrs' Tip with multi function wheel.

I had worked out a couple of things, then saw this.
Thanks so much for sharing.
I think there is a company called edition9 who have done this to 996 steering wheels, but not 997's.

apart from the cosmetics, the principal is exactly the same for 996/997, they use the same AMG style paddle shifter, and the wiring is the same, in fact you can swap wheels (from 996 to 997) with the air bags, and clock springs.etc.
i taped the AMG shifters in place (as a template) marked round them with a marker pen, then cut away a small section in the middle of the template, and marked where the drill hole needed to be to secure them in place, a further small hole was drilled for the wires, and job done, its that easy.
sharp craft knife or good stanley, and a 5 and 10mm drill bit.

Hi All,

Finally fitted my test wheel to the car and everything works fine. In the end I purchased some resistors from Maplins. Managed to get 270ohm for the up shift and 150ohm for the down shift (the resistors only apply if you have a multifunction wheel). Got to say that it really does make a difference having the paddles on the car. Changes the driving experience for the better. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

shaun :D

I'd like to see what the paddled wheel looks like in situ. Distinct but subtle difference I expect.

I was considering what these would be like today but it seems to me that the indicator stalks are very close to the wheel. do they interfere with the use of them?

Hi All,

As requested, some pics of the wheel in situ. ignore the colour mismatch as its a test wheel not some sort of fashion statement :D

shaun

Attachments

• 004_167.jpg
    004_167.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 8,232
  • 008_129.jpg
    008_129.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 8,232
  • 019_192.jpg
    019_192.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 8,232
Nicholas Lawrence said:
Why is the airbag thing a different colour?

Hi Nicholas,

I purchased a cheapest wheel I could find on eBay to test the paddles and work out how best to fit them. Didn't fancy hacking up my wheel until I was sure that the paddles worked and the spacing of the paddles was correct.

shaun :D

Looks like a top job. You posted previously that you would do a full guide. Is that still on the cards?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back