Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion

beebman

Hi All,

It seems that for a long time 997 owners with Tiptronic have wanted to convert their steering wheels to paddle shift. I too am one of those owners, so I decided to have a look to see if it was possible. There are a multitude of threads on different forums, but no one seems to have a proper answer to the is it possible question.
I have some experience with electronics and know one end of a soldering iron from the other so I thought how hard can it be. I managed to get a cheap wheel off eBay (didn't fancy hacking mine up to find out that its no possible) and a set of AMG paddles too. well, I've had a go and the good news is that it is possible, not expensive and wont require any reprogramming.
So far I've only tested the paddles with a Tiptronic wiring loom, but will be testing a multifunction wiring loom in the next few day. All you need to do is solder the two wires on the paddles onto the wiring loom, its as easy as that - well apart from cutting a hole in the back of your steering wheel. If you use the AMG paddles, you'll need to cut a rectangular hole in the back of the wheel down to the alloy frame. Once this is done you'll need to drill two holes in the alloy frame. One for the cable and another for the retaining bolt.

you have a connector on each Tiptronic switch, this is where you need to connect the wires from the paddle too.

Tiptronic Wiring

For the UP paddle (Right hand side)
A8 - White (tip control)
A7 - Black (Earth)

For the Down paddle (Left hand side)
A8 - Red (Tip Control)
A7 - Black (Earth)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a9fd10e20

I'm happy to answer any questions on the mod. I'll post more pictures once I've wired things up and got the wheel on the car. I may even post a vid on youtube to prove it works.

happy tinkering

shaun :D

This is on my 'must do' list. But chickened out without a comprehensive how to explanation, preferably with pics.

If you can post a pictorial or video link, that'd be great. 😁

RichS1963 said:
This is on my 'must do' list. But chickened out without a comprehensive how to explanation, preferably with pics.

If you can post a pictorial or video link, that'd be great. 😁

Hi RichS1963,

I have taken some pictures, but need to do a few more. Will post a vid showing the wheel working on the car. I'll try to put a tutorial together at some point. Here's some pics of the wheel with the paddles fitted so you can see some progress. I haven't done the wiring yet, but will do this on the weekend.

regards
shaun

Attachments

• img_3072_100.jpg
    img_3072_100.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 28,637
  • img_3070_167.jpg
    img_3070_167.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 28,637
Jacko9370 said:
Do you fancy making one to sell?

Hi Jacko9370,

The wheel I'm working on is a spare that I'm using as a test bed. If everything works I'll being doing the mod on the wheel on my car. I will probably sell the test wheel if all goes well. I'll put a post up If I do decide to sell.

regards

shaun

beebman said:
Jacko9370 said:
Do you fancy making one to sell?

Hi Jacko9370,

The wheel I'm working on is a spare that I'm using as a test bed. If everything works I'll being doing the mod on the wheel on my car. I will probably sell the test wheel if all goes well. I'll put a post up If I do decide to sell.

regards

shaun

I shall look out for your post.

Many thanks

Attach paddles parallel to std Switches, add Resistors (- 150, + 300 +/- 10%) into the wiring as per attached dwg. The std switches remain still active.

Works here flawlessly since 12 Month. It's a new car ;-))

The mechanical attachment is a little carving work – drill the hole for the fixing screw from the inside (remove PU layer) close to the hole for the remote housing. The hole for the cable about 10 mm below. I will try to find my olde pics...

The switches have a connector – remove the housing, fiddle wires through the hole (5.5 dia) and attach housing again. Solder a solid wire which fits (.75 ?) the connectors to the loom Extension, so it can be removed w/o butchering.

Have fun!

sorry - the attachment of a .pdf seems not to work (I may be stupid) - I am happy to send per PN

There is a very good detailed DIY how-to on this (using AMG paddles) on renntech.org where the author installs the paddles on the back side of the steering wheel and retains the original tip buttons. They're wired in parallel so not only are the original buttons retained, they still work.

Edit- sorry I don't think its renntech after all. I bookmarked it on my home laptop so will dig out a link and post it later this eve after work.

thanks for the extra info guys. Especially the resistor values. :) This has saved me working them out.

shaun

could you please tell me the reason for the resistors? is it not just a case of swapping the paddles for the switches?

Sorry, I have to confess that I forgot to limit the instructions to the MF wheel (shematics 4A). David showed me that on a std wheel they seem to be designed it w/o resistors. The anti collision logic there is in the wiring.

The shematics (4B) are not absolutely clear on this, I suggest one checks the wiring/switch in the loom direct. I had never looked at one, but I wonder why they should come up with two different looms. In any case, one can hook the paddle Switches then in parallel to the std Switches.

The idea with the resistors is obviously to slim down the fat looom in the MF wheel. The switches are both connected to ground and the up/down signal is generated by coding the ground via the hi/low resistors through one wire (high/low voltage) to a small electronic box doing the anti collision logics and generate the "switch gear" signal to the gearbox.
Is there a way to attach a .pdf file here?

Hi Moritz,

think you need to add the attachment via the add an attachment option below the window you type the post. With regards to the resistors, are they connected to the ground or the tip single wire. Also, I assume the values are 150k & 300K.

cheers

shaun

I tried the attachment mechanism w/o success - my stupid?

The resistors (MF wheel only!) need to be in series with the paddle Switches. I am happy to mail you the schematics - just PM me.

The actual resistors in the wheel are 135 and 270 Ohms - I jaust had 150 and 300 sitting around...

Wow - this has been on my todo since i got the car - if anybody can find the how to link or do a write up I would be the happiest guy in Germany....

I have a tip car with no multifunction.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back