Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

top 3 mods for under £500......

medicus

Albert Park
as im a serial modder to all my cars, to the detriment of my ever dwindling bank account, and dismay of my better half, what have you done, or do you consider the top three modifications you can do to your 996 for under a "monkey"

mine would be
1st the steering wheel retrimed in alcantara, and perforated leather, and made slightly thicker, with better thumb grips, my reasoning is because you hold/use this wheel more than any other part in your car, and comfort and control is paramount. all for £125.

2nd, would be the sprint booster (fly by wire) accelerator pedal box of tricks, that fits in line with the input from the gas pedal, greatly improving the response times, it does nothing for BHP or otherwise, but DOES feel like you have an extra 50 horsepower. £180.

3rd, the "gundo / PSE hack" to the exhaust box's, it makes your 996 sound like it should have from the factory. from £100-400 depending who welds it, or if you take your box's off yourself. mine was £299 with them doing everything.

over £500
my top 3 would be.
1st, sports seats (if you don't have them) and painted same colour as your car. probably about £700 including buying them and painting etc.

2nd, wheels and tyres, dark science this one, because there are so many variables, but we tend to suffer the wheels the car came with, and not the ones we really like, goes without saying, "quality tyres" from £500 upwards

3rd, ICE, mainly removing the single DIN or the terrible Porsche sat nav, and getting a double DIN unit that has every function, including sat nav, rear camera, Bluetooth, messaging etc, you can get the proper 996 fitting kit (that looks factory) and all associated parts for £750 or less.
mine came with vehicle telemetry and usb/card reader ports etc.

im sure depending on weather you are a style ***** or a performance freak, you list will be different.
I have not included in my list such things as "repairs" or IMS bearings, as I don't consider them to be "modifications" per se"

Under a 'monkey'

1. Interior lights; changed all the bulbs to white LEDs inc the instrument panel
& climate control. I hate orange.

2. Exterior lights; Clear headlight and indicator lenses. I really do hate orange.

3. Badges; change bonnet to black/red/silver, wheel centres to black/silver,
rear badge to black

Over a 'monkey'

1. Fit aerokit

2. Wheel refurb.

3. Fit sports seats.

1. PSE diode snip- to stop it going quiet between 26-44mph. £0!
2. Rain sensor retrofit
3. HID headlights

1. Retrofit cruise.
2. Stainless headers.
3. Private plate.

It looks like people are just listing what mods they have done as opposed to what are the best mods for £500. Very subjective of course, some prefer modernisation, some comfort, some toys, some aesthetics...
Me; well I would go down the handling and performance route. If your car already has PSE then gundo is not required. Diode snip is a good shout as it is free.

My 3 would be:
1. BMC filter and CAI Kit about £180 great induction noise and slight power increase.
2. 200Cell cat pipes around £500 if you're lucky. They make a fabulous noise and around 10BHP.
3. RSS engine mounts and a 997SSK about £500 for the pair.

it does say " what have you done" in the original listing, or what would you like to do.
but if you have done neither or have no intention of doing, you can still list what floats your boat.

medicus said:
it does say " what have you done" in the original listing, or what would you like to do.
but if you have done neither or have no intention of doing, you can still list what floats your boat.

Cheers medicus :thumb: My list above is both, what I have done and also what I would recommend to do first. They really maketh the driving experience with the 996 :)

Hi medicus,

can you tell me where you got you steering wheel retrimmed please?
Any pics as I'd like to do this, how long did it take?

There is some lot called Royal Steering Wheels, in Bucks. Get very good reviews, do a lot of Porsche wheels. Might even do one on an exchange basis.

I don't have a pic but the little mods i made for under a 'monkey' (new term there) were to do with the black interior. I had done the clear lights and the sports exhaust externally. but I found the interior just too black and dull. I like the design of the interior but there wasn't much to lift it in my car so I replaced the handbrake with one of those Porsche black and silver handbrakes to match the gear lever and door pulls. The I added a little touch, silver surrounds on the dials. Cheap as chips but to me, adds a nice touch.
The exhaust is the most effective mod of all though. It releases the cars soul. You can really heart he flat six growling and charging behind you. It's a very classic sports car sound. You always feel like your in the Targa Florio or some other great road race.

911munKy said:
Hi medicus,

can you tell me where you got you steering wheel retrimmed please?
Any pics as I'd like to do this, how long did it take?

as robertb, said
jack at royal steering wheels, will retrim your own wheel in whatever you like, ie, full alcantara/smooth leather/perforated leather, or a mix of 2, you can choose colour, and he will thicken up the wheel if you like, and add thumb grips also, you can choose your stiching colour also, all this for £125 delivered back to you, he takes about 4 days turnaround, and even has an exchange where you pay a £100 deposit, and he will send out the same wheel, all done, and when you receive it you just send him your old one (minus the internals) and get your deposit back.
jack has done all my steering wheels, in my Porsche, jaguar XFR, brabus Mercedes, Range Rover (L322) and Volvo C70.
every one looks like it was a factory option.

1. Upgrade all 4 speakers to alpine £80
2. Fit a Loudlink to give bluetooth audio and phone streaming £110
3. Change front bulbs to all white

under £500 mod

okay cost slightly more but for around £500
braided brake hose lines and brembo "S" disc pads.....loads of feed back and much better bite...
:thumb:

Re: under £500 mod

archie51 said:
okay cost slightly more but for around £500
braided brake hose lines and brembo "S" disc pads.....loads of feed back and much better bite...
:thumb:
is it a lot better Archie? as the brakes are very good out of the crate, if so, its a mod i might be doing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back