Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

915 3.2 buying advice. How to check

james.mckenzie

Hi all,

I've popped over from the 964 forum as I think a 3.2 just stole my heart! In a dark metallic with Fuchs they are gorgeous!

So far I have a list of things to check. ..

- Rust
Arches
Kidneys
windscreen/scuttle
Headlights
under bonnet carpet
Under floor carpets
B pillar
Any others?
How do I check for kidney/boost rust? Where/how do I look?

- Engine
Compression and leak down test
Oil seals replaced
Rebuild (who/when/details/photos)
A little blue smoke on start up ok
No cappuccino under filler cap
A wet engine is ok as long as it's not leaving marks on the floor and compression is ok.
Any others?
What % loss is acceptable?
What % lossification difference a cross cylinders is acceptable?

- Gearbox
Shifts well from 1st to 2nd
Shifts well from 2nd to 3rd
Any others?

- Service history
Detailed and correct.
Where can I find detail on service shedules to cross examine?

- Price
These are not advertised very often and prices are all over the place. What's a good guide for sub and post 100k cars assuming body and engine are good (not necessarily refurbished? )

Anything else?

Beers on me!

James

Sorry that meant to read;

How do I check for Kidney / b-post rust. Where/how do I look?

mfg

James

Check door jambs any bubbling under lock area and down at sill/door jamb joint will indicate further rust in panel below( assumes not. Even painted recently to hide)
Put your arm up the inside of the wheel arch and feel for back of lock move hand in towards the car should feel the kidney bowl. If full of dirt will be wet scrape out to feel panel . Hopefully dry and clean need to budget £1500 per side to get replaced as have to cut out door jamb to get to it
Take a look on impactbumpers. Com a full picture thread on this
Good luck superb cars

Guys,

Can you give any idea on compression figures and acceptable loss across cylinders?

I've been in touch with Peter Morgan but they will not do any 'intrusive' inspection work and Autofarm required me to get a car I haven't yet bought to them (unlikely this will work with seller)

Can you provide a name of a good indie/dealer that will do a PPI with leak down on site?

Best,

James

James
Not aware myself but put up on impactbumpers guys are superb and very helpful. I am sure the answer on compression will be back asap and will no doubt know someone who can help

james.mckenzie said:
How do I check for Kidney / b-post rust. Where/how do I look?

You remove the outer sill, cut a section out of the rear wing from b pillar to wheel arch and bingo! there it is.

IMG_49291299363293.jpg

Then if it's like the one above, simply weld one in:

tumblr_m5e926wOq51ru2zr2o1_500.jpg

As said, costs about £1500 a side once you have put it all back, patched the wing up and sprayed 50% of the car. If it's got the rust around and behind the rear lights and needs chopping and welding the other end of the wing then it's 'almost' worth considering saving yourself all the chopping and get a new rear wing...

:)

Missing from your list is the floor under the battery, lowest point and rusts there but an easy repair, and the area under the top of the front wings that you can only see when you take them off.

Look up wing and bumper costs (4 wings and two bumpers will be £5000 for the parts) and look up the cost of all the black plastic/rubber trim.

It's far cheaper to buy a car with sorted body, paint but a knackered engine than to buy one with a rebuilt engine and knackered body.

:thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back