Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie with a dilema!! Advice please.

gary lawton

Hi All.
Thanks in advance for reading my thread. I'm just about to take the plunge into Porsche ownership but I've had so many different owners telling what's best my head is spinning.
My heart is set on an early 3.0 SC as I love the pure style and basic mechanicals and lack of electronic devices. I have seen a 1983 car in black with good history and spec with a current mileage of 153k, warranted. The asking price is £16,500 from a private dealer.
Would you chaps say that's reasonable?? My heart is set on this car but I'm a tad worried due to age/mileage I could be digging myself into a financial hole.

Any advice here would be most welcome.

All the best.

:welcome: to 911uk Gary,

I've moved your post to the specific forum and changed the title slightly so that you'll get more responses.

:thumb:

gary lawton said:
Hi All.
Thanks in advance for reading my thread. I'm just about to take the plunge into Porsche ownership but I've had so many different owners telling what's best my head is spinning.
My heart is set on an early 3.0 SC as I love the pure style and basic mechanicals and lack of electronic devices. I have seen a 1983 car in black with good history and spec with a current mileage of 153k, warranted. The asking price is £16,500 from a private dealer.
Would you chaps say that's reasonable?? My heart is set on this car but I'm a tad worried due to age/mileage I could be digging myself into a financial hole.

Any advice here would be most welcome.

All the best.

Sounds reasonably priced.

Buy it you only live once. I have a 1983 Sc in White. It's the most wonderful car I've ever driven. Raw fun without the gizmos. The engine sound, the handling, did I mention the handling. Buy now before they're out of reach. Not many around now that need working on. :thumbs:

You have to realize that you are buying a 30+ yr old car. Depending on what the car has had done you might be in for some major bills at some stage in future, full respray is £5k, proper leather reupholstery & interior refresh is £5k, gearbox reconditioning £3-4k, engine rebuild is circa £10k and suspension refresh would probably set you back £2k and then there is all the little bits and bobs which would add more £k's ... and we haven't even touched on rust yet but you will have gotten an idea from the links posted already.

Of course if you do all that and only put in 3-4k miles/yr you will have a great car for next 20 years but you need to allow £5k/yr maintenance budget (give or take a few k's depending on condition) over the next few years to bring it upto date - I suspect at that price point it needs most of the above at some stage.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stinkyspanner
Back