Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cobalt Blue C2

Lovin it Phil. I know it's gonna look the dogs doodads :bye:

A little bit more bodywork. A previous photo showed the off side rear wing had some bubbles

I then picked at it - remember your mother telling you not to pick...... :eek:

This resulted in a bit of a hole and some very weak metal. Once again, Mark was a hero and welded in some new metal. Another friend, Gavin (seen previously removing the rear screen) helped fabricate the new piece. I wish I had taken more photos of this, as it was a work of art. Properly curved using a shrinker / stretcher, and with the correct bodywork support fabricated.

More action shots of Mark..

And here is the piece that was chopped out.

The last hole to attend to was on the nearside wing, just inside the engine bay. Mark once again tackled a difficult area and created an invisible repair.

The bubbles......

Chopped out

Fabrication in progress

I will try and find a photo of the finished article. It is utterly fantastic watching an expert create an invisible repair.

When you made that side sill I don't suppose you made a couple of spares did you?

I need one, too...

Pete

I still have the remainder of the sill. Cant remember if I still have the template but I have spare tracing paper so wouldn't be too much hassle to sort. Arrange a day with chief and come across.

Phil

Just for a bit of light relief, rather than some close up shots, I found this photo of the workshop when we seemed to be having a bit of a Porsche day. I share the workshop (or putting shed as Chief likes to call it) with 4 other car enthusiasts. There is an eclectic mix of motors that pass through the doors. One of the group buys more cars each month than most of us would in 5 years! This shot was taken on a bit of a Porsche day. The 964 is sitting with my 944 and Gavin's very lovely 997.

The plastic covers may be reminiscent of a scene from Silent Witness but were there to protect the cars from some dusty activities elsewhere in the workshop. We are not normally that tidy.....

In order to help make progress on the bodywork, I realised by hobby compressor was never going to supply enough air. My revelation meant lots of bidding on eBay, but then Machine Mart came up with a VAT free day, so I dug deep and bought a decent sized brand new compressor. It is only money :oops:

I know what you are thinking, is the compressor massive or is the pick up very small? Well, a bit of both, lol!!

Phil,

This thread just get better every time I look at it. I love the no-nonsense approach to tricky problems :worship:

Cheers,
Paul

paul284pt said:
Phil,

This thread just get better every time I look at it. I love the no-nonsense approach to tricky problems :worship:

I prefer the tricky approach to nonsense problems :grin:

Phil,
You guys a lucky to have such a broad skill set between you. I really don't think there is anything that cannot be sorted in 'The Potting Shed' :thumb:

Thought it was time for another update. Following on from the cutting / snapping of the oil tank to oil filter, I began to get paranoid about the state of the pipes elsewhere. My paranoia was further extended when I could not undo the joint at the oil filter housing for the pipe which runs from the sump. The only way I could sort it was to remove the oil filter housing. The pipe, like many of the others was functional but less than pretty. So, taking the approach while you are in there you might as well sort it, I decided to replace the pipe. Whilst that sounds easy, at the sump end it does require removal of one of the heat exchangers. Hey ho.

Thankfully, I had taken the time to read Igaffz "when one thing leads to another" so knew roughly what to expect. With the car jacked up I sprayed the studs with plus gas, and after I worked out that none of my sockets fitted the manifold bolts, I went home, found that the only company that who seem to have the appropriate flexible jointed socket is Snap On, so opened an account and ordered this 13 mm socket

After a mis-understanding where the delivery driver popped my package through the wrong letterbox, it finally arrived. The week of soaking in plus gas did the trick will all of the nuts coming free without snapping the manifold studs. Where I was less lucky was with the nuts that require an allen key. I snapped my 8 mm allen key socket. So I ordered myself a more substantial tool.

This made short work of the two nuts, and again, the studs remained intact. It took a nut splitter to deal with the nuts / bolts which join the two heat exchangers, but I now had the nearside heat exchanger off. Buoyed by the success, and with the oil pipe now off, I thought as I was under the car I would get the offside heat exchanger off. So, a spray of Plus Gas and I started to tackle the nuts. I grabbed the socket, but then found that the offside nuts were 1/2 inch. So, another socket ordered......

So another week passed, but finally the heat exchangers were off, albeit with two snapped studs. I ordered some new ones from Porsche, but they list them as 6 mm rather than 8 mm, so I have got some stainless steel ones on order.

Photos below are of the heat exchangers and the oil pipe removed from the car

I was getting to the point of being fed up of taking parts off the car, so for a bit of light relief I decided to tidy up a few components and get them ready for refitting.

So, I took the oil tank, thermostat and old filter housing, and spent hours with the parts washer degreasing. The oil tank was wire brushed, surface rust dealt with and prepped for painting.

Etch primed (with halogen heat to aid drying)

Heat resistant paint

3 coats later

And curing the paint in the oven (the oil tank is a big beasty)

Some shiny new bits to aid reassembly

Now ready to fit to the car

I took a similar approach with the oil radiator

degreased and paint stripped with a wire brush in my angle grinder

Getting the similar oven curing

reassembly commences

And fitted up with shiny new fittings and new fan cowling

Little jobs like this are very satisfying, but blooming time consuming.

Wow, epic, was the wife in when you put the oil tank in the oven :D knowbody will show your car as much care, love and attention as you buddy :thumbs:

Ian

I got divorced 5 years ago - I don't think it was down to engine parts in the oven, but come to think of it........ :)

I have partly covered this before, but the engine tins were past the point of recovery. I also thought other parts of the car could do with a tidy up. The engine mount was a little untidy

So, I whipped it off and stripped it

While the rear mount was off I thought it was a good opportunity to change the cam chain cover gaskets (again following Igaffz's posts)

And then collected the frame from the powder coaters, along with a stack of other parts which I will update on soon

Fitting nice shiny bits is very satisfying, especially when I remembered to run a tap through the threads.

I called in to see you and your car yesterday but you weren't there.

However your car was and is looking really good.

Inspired me to get on with mine.

I love the colour too, looks better in the flesh.

Good stuff.

:thumb:

Not so sure about the state of the oven door Phil. One Fray Bentos pie too many, maybe.....
Love the progress though, and as Pete mentioned, we popped over to see the good work. Very impressed! The colour looks so, so good.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back