Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Small cough/fluff on gentle throttle openings

weejimmy

Spa-Francorchamps
My C4s seems to have a small cough/fluff when opening the throttle gently and progressively from light loads. It typically happens at about 2,800 revs, but I have observed it as low as 2,400 as well. I am wondering if its a characteristic of the engine or a possible issue?

TBH I dont find it unpleasant esp as I am still runnng the car in, but over time the slight hesitation could become annoying. There is an audible change in the engine note at the same time. A wheeze/stutter would be too strong words though.

:?:

Have had a new C4S with PDK for about 2 months now and have done about 2000 miles.

Have virtually the same characteristics under very light throttle application, especially just coming off the coasting feature. My assumption is that this is a characteristic of the car. Don't consider this to be a problem. With PSE on, not there at all.

Have also noticed it on other 991, both C2S and C4S, which I have test driven, so hopefully nothing to worry about. :)

Thanks. Have mentioned it to the dealer so have logged it in case it gets worse. In some ways I quite like it - adds some character! :D

It's a fairly common trait of the variocam system between 2-3krpm. Typically only exhibits under very light throttle. I've just completed 2000 miles and am pressing on harder now... Seems to be getting better OR i am getting used to it! Not something i would risk having the car opened up for ;)

That figures. I was going to say it feels like it happens just at the point where the cam profile hardens... but then realised I didn't know what technology the engine used! :oops:

Hmmm. Seemed more like a miss/hiccup this morning. Think it might warrant a look by the dealer... :nooo:

Took it to my local OPC today and demoed it to a technician who said they have seen 3 or 4 other C4s with the same issue.

He described it as a 'hole in the engine mapping' where the ECU gets confused around the cam change. There is no official word from Porsche on it yet, but the hope is that there will be a software update available at some point in the future.

The non S variants seem unaffected. Same for 2WD S's.

Don't worry, the problem only gets worse as the car gets older. Mine has had this issue for over a year and has been into the OPC approx 25 times (no joke). It is not a stumble, it is an actual misfire that is not logged as a fault. This was found by local OPC using a test program from factory. It also starts to affect the lower rev range performance wise before coming onto cam, they may also have found that one bank was running rich, and the other lean. Oh, the stutter where the car all but stalls is really good fun, especially when you pull out of a junction quickly.

Mine has covered 46k now and is a 2012 Carrera S, here is a short list of the stuff I can remember being done.

Every ecu module erased back to factory and upgraded, multiple times.
Crank sensor spacer fitted, then later removed.
Another software update
Another software reset
PDK reset (gear change was clumsy due to poor engine running)
PAG Software re-write
VVT got stuck in high lift on one side, giving the most awesome exhaust drone, and high pressure coming out of 1 of the four exhausts)
VVT and VVL replaced on 1 bank of engine
Software reset
Car then droned when moving on and off cam, so loud you could hear it at 70mph
VVT and VVL replaced on other bank (they had the car for 3 weeks that time)

Has it been fixed? No, The problem goes, and then gets worse. Sit in your car at idle, does it feel like it misses a beat every now and again, the car physically rocks.

New features like windows unresponsive, pressing sport and the light comes on but it stays in normal, auto stop start deactivating on its own (shown as an error), parking sensors coming up completely red and then showing "park assist error deactivated", clutch being banged in and out multiple times when pulling away makes me think this is a can bus related error, but the good news is that critical systems such as engine management, air bags, brake lights, all share the same bus, so when the brake lights don't come on and I get crippled by the lorry of death that hits me because the air bag didn't inflate, then at least I know that it all started with a niggle between 2-3k revs...

Luckily mine is leased and I only have another 8 months left to go.

I am presently writing an article on my "Porsche Experience" which I am going to send to every Car journalist I can find. If anyone would like to contribute to what I am writing, I will gladly add it in.

ps, glad you are enjoying your 991's, great cars aren't they....

Just as an update, this has now fully developed into a misfire on 3 cylinders.

Car back at OPC... 27 times now (once for diagnosis), now back in for 2 days.

This issue really must be fixed as I have been told by a reliable source that more and more 991's are doing this..

This is not the first story of the 991 being a touch fragile that I have heard. This is one of the reasons I avoid buying a new model until the gremlins have been ironed out. not that I could have afforded one, but the 991 GT3 is the perfect example of this. I prefer other owners to be the lab rats.

911BlackEd said:
Just as an update, this has now fully developed into a misfire on 3 cylinders.

Car back at OPC... 27 times now (once for diagnosis), now back in for 2 days.

This issue really must be fixed as I have been told by a reliable source that more and more 991's are doing this..

Could you do us a favour and once the car had been handed back, just post the chassis number on here to forewarn some other poor sod that this is the car that Hans screwed together on a Friday afternoon after a couple lunchtime Liebfraumilch?

weejimmy said:
Took it to my local OPC today and demoed it to a technician who said they have seen 3 or 4 other C4s with the same issue.

He described it as a 'hole in the engine mapping' where the ECU gets confused around the cam change. There is no official word from Porsche on it yet, but the hope is that there will be a software update available at some point in the future.

The non S variants seem unaffected. Same for 2WD S's.

Mine is at the dealer today so I got a Boxster 2.7 PDK as a loaner. Lo and behold, it has the same fluff. Very surprised, but I guess its a trait of the basic engine/cam design. :dont know:

Haha, that's nothing. Mine developed into sounding like someone shaking a bag of spanners every time it starts.

Goes back in tomorrow for the engine to be removed and have a load of work done of the followers and variable lift system. That is after waiting three months for them to redevelop the parts.

After then being told that car drives 'fine' I have had the car dyno'd to find that 148 of the horses seem to have bolted from the stable, along with over 200 Nm of torque

Am going to start another thread as only just got it back from the passenger door filling up with water and ruining control modules on the passenger side.

Anyone know a good car savvy barrister?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back