Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cobalt Blue C2

Looks all to familiar, same sort of rust leve that pushed me down the respray path. It'll be great when it's finished. :thumbs:

Hi Phil
Mine has the exact same rot spot on the NSR bumper mount. OSR covered in oil fro the leaks so looks in good condition :eek: Similar bubbling to investigate inside engine bay lip?
Good luck with the bodywork.
Peter

Peter

I will update the photos on the bodywork condition in the next few days.

Carrying on with the rear bumper, next couple of photos reveal the true pain of removal.

After lots of angle grinder action, a blow torch, vice grips and a bit of swearing, I have got the bolts out and the brackets are intact.

As I will be getting this powder coated, next task was to remove the plastic support pieces.

I started by trying to drill out the rivets. I knew I had to be careful as the plastic pieces seem not to be available from Porsche. Whatever material is used in those rivets, it is blooming hard and it quickly broke a couple of drills. Using a little lateral thinking, I found that grinding the tops of the rivets with a power file made life a lot easier......

After a centre punch, lots of careful drilling, I now have another component ready for powder coating.

I had a very useful visitor turn up today, great for motivation to see a car in one piece!

More horrors will be revealed in the next instalment

For clarity, horrors referring to my car, not the Red Baron!!

Very Interesting stuff , good luck with the work , im hooked :thumb:

Great work. But puts the fear in me that mine will be hiding all sorts if nasties. :eek:

In comparison with removing the rear bumper, the front came off with a minimum of fuss. Next up was removal of the sill covers. One of the earlier photos showed some bubbling on the near side. When removed, the full extent was revealed.

It was pretty grotty...... Being an optimist, I was very pleased to see the rest of the sill was very good. Over to the offside, on first inspection it all looked fine, but if you look closely to the right of the foam padding, there is a seam of rust.

Again, this wasn't terrible, but to repair it would require removal of the oil pipes. When I looked at the thermostat I realised that might be a good idea, because I had a hunch I might have a minor leak.... :D

By this point I decided had also removed the wheel arch liners, so subjected the car to a massive jet washing session and scrubbing of wheel arches with various cleaning fluids. Gunk was the best for oily bits, Muc-off works brilliantly on the muddy bits.

with the majority of the crud out of the way, strip down continued. You will have seen from earlier photos that I had a rust spot under the rear window rubber. I have seen other photos on here of problems around front windscreen surrounds, so it was time to take the glass out. I have never done this on a car before so roped in a couple of friends who have had experience.

Two grown men in the back of a 964 is not the most comfortable position to be.....!!

My bank balance was thankful the glass staying in one piece. The front screen also came out, and I was careful to make sure the radio aerial connection was correct unplugged rather than cut - it only took me 20 mins to work out that removal of the clock from the dashboard makes disconnection far easier than trying to reach through a small gap from the passenger compartment. But I did find out the hard way.

Glass removal was generally good news. Aside from a little surface corrosion, there were no holes or grot in the windscreen surround.

At the rear screen, a bit more rust was found, but no holes, which was a massive relief

More bodywork updates to follow

Good stuff.

I'm doing mine shortly so interesting to see what it's like under the window seals.

Hopefull I will get a chance to come round with Chief and have a look.

:thumb:

Peter

You are very welcome to pop over. I look forward to meeting you

P

This is great! A pleasure to read about another 964 being lovingly restored while other threads here are in hibernation :wink:

Keep in coming :thumb:
Paul

Guys,
Phil and the boys from 'The potting shed' are doing wanders with this car. The work is top notch and Phil's methodical approach is obvious in the pictures. One thing he hasn't told you is that the two blokes inside the car own 964's as well.
Phil,
Keep up the great work and thanks for the coffee :thumb:

Paul, Chief

Thank you for the kind words.

Back to progress. Because of the corrosion on the offside sill, I knew I had to take the oil pipes which run from the thermostat to the oil radiator at the front off. You will also have seen from the previous photos that the thermostat was caked in oil, so I knew I had a bit of a leak.

The clean up session went quite well, and at least revealed the thermostat

Getting the pipes which run to the front of the car off was relatively simple. Getting the oil tank out and the thermostat off became an epic challenge. The jubilee clips and the guide tube for the oil dipstick were in no mood to shift, so the former were carefully cut, the latter was pulled though.

This is the picture before surgery took place.

I next tried to undo the pipe which runs from the oil filter to the thermostat across the rear wheel arch. Even with big spanners and lots of huffing and puffing, the fittings at either end just would not shift. The flexible element of the pipe looked past its first flush of youth, so I took the decision (which was brave and expensive) to cut the pipe. In hindsight, I am very glad I did. Photo below is the thermostat with cut pipe.

The reason why I am glad I cut the pipe is revealed in the photo below. The existing pipe was so brittle that it snapped at the connection between the flexible and metal pieces.

I am very glad this didn't happen with the engine running.........

I was getting a little fed up of being covered in oil, so for a bit of light relief, I decided to have a poke around the engine bay. When I bought the car, I had a 24000 mile service carried out. I popped in when the car was stripped and I knew the engine tins could do with a tidy up. Alas they had deteriorated "slightly" since they were last off :eek:

The original plan was to get them blasted and powder coated - but they instead have been thrown into the scrap bin.

Hopefully in my next update I will not be stripping bits off the car and something may actually go back on........

This is great :thumb: love the engine tins!! Going to look Stella when sorted, keep up the good work

Ian

Evening all

So, another day, another update.

We started with the nearside sill. We really refers to my friend Mark. The very observant will recognise Mark as the genius who did sprayed the Red Baron. He has been my guiding light one all matters bodywork.

I saw another thread on here where someone brilliantly fabricated their sill end. I lack that level of talent so applied some lateral thinking. I started with a complete sill......

I then tracked the outline from the sound offside sill, and reversed it for the nearside.....

Cut it down to an approximate shape, leaving 10 mm or so to create a return

Mark cut the grotty bits off the car

Leaving this

Welding - the action shot

Tidying up the welding

And primered

In truth, it takes a lot longer to do this than type it. Mark's work is utterly stunning. The photos don't do justice to how good his level of detail is.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back