Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Understanding different oil types

sanj71

Silverstone
Had a shed clear out and have a number of brand new engine oil packs for some reason. Currently use Mobile Super S 10W-40 to top up my 993 engine oil level but have found a Castrol GTX 10W-40 pack which looks like it has exactly the same ratings and specifications. Is it the same oil or am I missing something?

:dont know:

sanj71 said:
Had a shed clear out and have a number of brand new engine oil packs for some reason. Currently use Mobile Super S 10W-40 to top up my 993 engine oil level but have found a Castrol GTX 10W-40 pack which looks like it has exactly the same ratings and specifications. Is it the same oil or am I missing something?

:dont know:

They are basically similar oils. Both are a blend of part-synthetic base oils. Mixing them are not going to generate any major issues, it is however advised to replace the oil completely. Just to make sure that there is not going to be any issues with the compatibility of different oil additive packages what these oils contain.

I have worked in the lubrication industry for seven years now. If you have some other questions regarding to the lubricants, feel free to ask me. :)

Best regards,

Ville,
Thanks for the info. Will only be used as a top up.
:thumbs:

Sanjay

A question Ville ....... what is the shelf life of an unopened container of oil ...... does it/will it degrade over say a two to three year period?

madalaa said:
A question Ville ....... what is the shelf life of an unopened container of oil ...... does it/will it degrade over say a two to three year period?

Oil manufacturers suggest a four to five year shelf life for an engine oil. The composition or performance are not affected if stored in stable conditions.

Best regads,

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back