Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 911 Turbo

T8 said:
Sorry to hear that news Bill
Thanks Terry. :)

chimp911 said:
It's sad to read that the turbo isn't for you, but I totally get where you are coming from - it probably feels like too big a fish in too little a pond stuck on those heavily gatso'd and policed UK roads :nooo:

Get yourself up to the Scottish highlands, over to Germany, or on one of the infamous Euro-hoons where you can properly stretch its legs and you'll soon get to see the turbo in a completely different light :grin:

Unless you can do that sort of thing regularly then I can see how ownership could become frustrating for some - I know that I will face very similar problems if/when I return to the UK...
Sadly I don't have the opportunity to do those kind of trips. I need a car that entertains and involves me at UK road-legal speeds. I don't think the Turbo is that car. It's really only just starting to get into its stride at the maximum permissible speed in this country. Of course this isn't news but I had hoped that the Turbo would be more involving at sub-warp speeds.

cheshire911 said:
As for BilltheButcher, sorry to hear that you may part with the car. A coveted manual at that too! And no gearbox issues - even better - those manualks are well known for expensive repairs to gearboxes. But for me, only a manual does it in a Turbo.
:?:

Mine's a Tip.

DynoMike said:
Bill, I too had exactly the same feelings after 3-4 weeks. I kept thinking "This thing is driving me, I have no involvement, it just keeps gripping and gripping with no feedback. It's too damned fast to enjoy, I will ring RSJ and see if I can swap it for a 997 C2S"

I still have my car 8 months later, I can now enjoy it at much more sensible speeds. Why? I took it to Center Gravity, told Chris and Pete what I wanted (to be involved at something less than warp speed), they then set about giving me that car. Now, I don't need bonkers speeds to put a smile on my face, the car is so much more accessible at lower speeds. I am now able to enjoy flinging it around in far more comfort than before. Amazing transformation. So that is my first point, consider a Geo to bring the car 'alive' at lower speeds.
Good suggestion but mine was at Center Gravity not long before I bought it. I know that the setup can be tailored to the individual but from what I was told it was set up to be more communicative at lower speeds. I think the problem is that the car is a poor match for me rather than it needing geo adjustment.

DynoMike said:
The second point is that IIRC, your car has been mapped to 490hp? If it has, have it put back to standard and enjoy it, rather than being a passenger and just hanging on for grim death. Sometimes, less is more, even with a Turbo. I'm looking at this from a slightly different angle here, for the sake of a few hundred quid, make the car what you want it to be, then enjoy yourself!

Mike
cheshire911 said:
I had not appreciated that yours has been re-mapped. I have an X50 and that runs at 450bhp compared to a standard turbo at 420 and boy are both cars quick. Sensible siggestion to have it re-set to factory settings on the map. Then try to exercise some restraint and discipline on the right foot pedal. I had new coffin arms and a full geo on mine when I bought it and the drive has been transformed. I feel as oone with the car - no aloofness or detachment. I drive pottering around at 50-60 on country roads excpet the odd burst to overtake. On the limited motorway and dual carriageway drives, I stick to around 2k revs in 6th - a nice healthy 62-65 mph - off the radar literally!
Yes, it's been remapped. Putting it back to standard is definitely something I'm considering but, as above, I'm wondering if the root of the problem is that I just chose the wrong car. For the sake of an ECU remap it might be worth investigating though. :)

cheshire911 said:
I think you will lose too much money of you hand it back - but I don't know your situiation and maybe you can afford to lose it. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. These cars are an addiction and the Turbo is definitely "once bitten; forever smiten"
As I said yesterday - a straight sale to JZM would lose me £5,500 which is quite a serious hit. I could afford it but I'd rather not have to. :lol: SOR is looking like the most realistic way of shifting it.

Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate your thoughts. :thumb:

After reading this yesterday I took mine out tonight, and it is an amazing car!

Maybe I was being too hasty in my thoughts of getting rid?

Bill before you chop it in you should take it to Bruntingthope to be able to at least once accelerate fully in all gears, without having to worry about speed cameras or other cars.

I had a ride in a tip turbo last week and honestly I couldn't live with one.
I did wonder when I was looking and I now know for sure that a manual was the way for me.

Nytol said:
Bill before you chop it in you should take it to Bruntingthope to be able to at least once accelerate fully in all gears, without having to worry about speed cameras or other cars.
That would make it worse! :lol: "Look at what you could have won."

kas750 said:
I had a ride in a tip turbo last week and honestly I couldn't live with one.
I did wonder when I was looking and I now know for sure that a manual was the way for me.
I drove a manual and a Tiptronic on the same day. IMO the Tiptronic was better-suited to the Turbo's power delivery.

BillTheButcher said:
Nytol said:
That would make it worse! :lol: "Look at what you could have won."

I drove a manual and a Tiptronic on the same day. IMO the Tiptronic was better-suited to the Turbo's power delivery.

But the 'what if?' and not knowing how fast it can really go would be worse IMO :)

I had a ride in a Tip recently, and was impressed with it, I regret being so impulsive and not driving one to compare.

I'm really not bothered about top speed. I can count on one hand the number of times I've hit triple figures (or at least I could until I bought this Turbo which is part of the problem).

I'm far more interested in acceleration. :)

I know a lot of people don't like the Tip but I think it's a really good match for the Turbo's engine.

After several laughably low offers from traders I've decided to give the Turbo back to RPM for SOR on Monday.

If anyone wants to make me a cheeky offer now is the time. (Apologies if this breaks the For Sale rules. :oops:) You might be surprised. :)

kas750 said:
T8 said:
Told you so. :thumb:
+1..you are dining at the captains table now! :grin:

PMSL that's exactly how I've felt since I picked mine up on Sunday!!!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back