Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange VIN Code?

Olie

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a 911 SC and have viewed a few. I'm particularly interested in one which has a decent history file but the VIN and registration plate are causing me concern.

The car is advertised as a 1983 model and the service book supports that. However, the car has a personal plate with an 'E' prefix and the V5 shows date of first registration as 1988. On the front of the V5 it states "was registered as *** **. Manufacture date unknown." Could this just be a way around having a registration that makes the car appear younger than it is?

Secondly, the VIN number is a mystery. I've used an online Porsche decoder and it tells me that 'O' the 10th letter (the year of manufacture) was 'skipped'.

Am I being over-cautious or is the above ringing anybody else's alarm bells?

Car isn't necessarily wrong
Car could be imported from jersey or Northern Ireland hence the regd 1988 manufactured 1983
Incorrect vin nos are common and mis typing is common
Is the vil in the service book?
Or under the bonnet?
Don't dimiss the car just needs investigation and checking and confirming

ive finally managed to get to the bottom of it i think! i got the seller to send me a confirmation of the VIN by looking at the tag. its the same as what is printed on the V5.

Doing a reg check and some digging ive come up with whats actually happened to the car.

the seller is selling the car as a 1983 911 sc

it was sold new as a 1988 turbo. and has gone through quite a few reg changes. and in 1999 had its colour changed from gold to black.

during the colour change someone replaced the turbo engine with a standard sc engine, fitted sc bumpers and then a 964 rear electric spoiler... sort of a 'bitsa' car.

no idea why any of this was done but the car looks as if its been a track car at some point. stainless twin pipes and heat exchangers along with expensive track tyres and a sports steering wheel.

the service book that came with the car for a 1983 911 sc has a reg with it but dosnt tally up to any that have been asscoiated to this car. so i can only assume that came with the engine that it now has fitted.

i really wanted the car but nothing seems to feel right about it. a hidden history, possibilty of regular track use, paintwork issues and also previous and still out standing rust issues. i dont think the car is worth the £16,450 its advertised for?

thanks for the replies gentlemen

It had 153k on the clock. Looking at the mot certificates it has only covered a very small millage since 2003 about 10k

One for Zingari to "negotiate" on :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back