Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 997 Carrera S progress..

I think it's so they don't have to test their equipment at those speeds and don't have to fit tyres that certified at those speeds. Would be no point having all these different models IMO if they all had the same top speed.

Awesome pics and a great diary..... inspired me to be even more OCD than I already am...obvious Q though... Why no front number plate fitted?

I'm just not a fan of front number plates, I seem to go through a phase with every car I own, whereby I remove the plate and then eventually get fed up of hiding in traffic to not be seen by the police car up ahead so I end up refitting some form of plate. I prefer the look of cars without them, just looks cleaner. My M3 looked so good without but in the end, I had to fit one, albeit a vinyl one.

I will be fitting a magnetic one as soon as I find decent magnets to stick inside the bumper.

Married to a copper I don't think I'll get away with that one.....!!! Keep the pics coming mate........

How did the Steering wheel and gear lever look?

My car is pretty much getting the same treatment, can i ask what difference blanking the airbox off along with the Samco hose made ?
What did you polish the tips with ? i have just refinished mine using scotchbrite and metal polish which has kept the "brushed" look.
Did the 3rd radiator and LTT and i will be fitting a GT3 smiley grill, bits here and ready to do.
H & R springs to do along with some subtle wheel spacing, i was not too convinced with the car at first, but everytime i take it out it just gets better :D
I have done a Gundo on mine and i love it ! i have a set of boxes here which are awaiting the Gundo soon to be for sale.
Much better than original with overun pops and spits but not intrusive 8)

Been there with the copper other half... ;)

I got back from Dubai last night to be welcomed by a package from Jack at Royal Steering Wheels. I wasn't looking forward to returning home 1 bit until I received a text from parcel force saying that my package from jack was out for delivery :)

Opened it up as soon as I stepped inside and as expected, the quality of Javks work is perfection. Great symmetry in the stitch work, straight lines and no loose threads, just a perfect job.

Plan is to fit it all some time in the next few hours.
49064190133_a352af75ee_z.jpg

The samco/blank simply added noise, I think it helped top end but I'm not sure if that's more placebo than reality... I recommend it for noise.

I used some unknown acid stuff to loosen the carbon build up and then various metal polishes to get them up like new again... I did use wirewool on the inside of the tips!

That's good to hear about the gundo, I have decided to get this done on mine now, I was debating some electronic valves which vabric / driftworks sell so I can switch the noise on and off much like a PSE but as I've got a mate who can weld, I'll do this if I feel the need.
Did you opt for a pipe between the in and out pipes or did you go from the cap at the top of the box?

You should get a build thread up :)

Mark, i did the by pass between inner and outer, after asking our learned friends on here i went for 38mm pipe as i did not want it silly loud.
It gives a deeper noise and positvly bellows above 4k, nice pops and spits on overun but put the window up and you cannot here it.
A grinder will be needed to cut off some of the old fixings as they will be crusty and sockets will not touch them,i replaced mine with M8 X 30 & 40 stainless socket head machine screws, you may also need a couple of new sleeve clamps, replaced the box to mounting brackets with stainless steel nuts and bolts also after drilling them out as they were not too clever, i also inverted the long bolts which fasten the box to the hangers, which will make removal a piece of cake should it be required.
I have a set of spare boxes in good order should you be interested, this kept my car mobile as i bought a set of donor boxes and had them hacked by a guy i know who builds exhausts from scratch www.exhaustcraft.co.uk
Do it you will be pleased, you would not want to switch it off !
:)

Cheers for the advice! I'm hoping my bolts and clamps wont be too bad having only covered 28k but I plan on order new bits once I have a look and work out what I need prior to removing the bits! I've got the use of a few other cars so being without the use of this won't be a prob, thanks for the offer though :)

This is what sold the "hack" to me, I love the popping and crackling :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd824VD9ynQ

Finally got around to fitting my new trimmed parts, I am over the moon with them, the thicker wheel with thumb grips has made it a much nicer experience to drive, I hated how thin the standard wheel was, especially coming from my M3.

Refitting took minutes and no issues with the airbag light (I was bad and didn't disconnect the battery throughout the whole period, I simply never started the car in order to avoid triggering the light)

I returned to work and waiting for me was my new drivers side outer sill trim! My current one has some scuff marks and the metal "Carrera S" plaque looks as if someone had tried to pull it out, perhaps when the sill was painted.. It was scratched too, so a nice new piece is going to replace it this weekend :)

49063679238_52ca7a360f_z.jpg

49064406467_fd6683a5fb_z.jpg

For anyone wondering if these are screwed on, perhaps like the guys who painted my car before I bought it and bent the plaque, they're not.. Just 3M tape..

49064194496_c7b1636eba_z.jpg

Current

49064194516_bf93edbf26_z.jpg

New trim

49064194541_c1628ffed2_z.jpg

49064406522_3b5bb16f33_z.jpg

49063679298_73ae12fd5f_z.jpg

49064194561_423394baef_z.jpg

The next planned jobs are the LTT, Gundo hack and hopefully some more alcantara work to, I am thinking to have the seat backs and centre console professionally re-trimmed in matching alcantara with grey stitching along with some other pieces too so that it all ties in.

I also want to bin the 9 year old rubber brake lines and go for some Goodridge hoses and ATE super blue fluid, a combo I have never had an issue with and always noticed the benefits.

Apologies for the poor iPhone pics :roll:

Mark my car had only done 39k, i can assure you the fixings will be bolloxed, are you sure you do not have my car as my door sill trim is also a bit crusty !
I am waiting to see if something else a bit more tasty (Carbon) comes along at a sensible price :lol:
Get the LTT fitted sharpish and a 3rd radiator kit which is circa £100 from Porsche centres (costs about £800 in component parts), i have also changed the crappy water hose clamps where accessible with decent jubilee clips.

Go Gundo !

I have recently fitted 6 x Beru coil packs (car parts 4 less) and new heat shields for circa £14 a pop, all fastenings coated with anti seize compound on refit.
Getting the offside rear quarter repainted soon by a friend who has his own paintshop as it has had previous paint which quite frankly is ***** :evil:

I think you jinxed my car!

Just finished fitting my new sill cover after spending 2 hours removing the bloody tape from the old one and decided to check that I hadn't flattened the battery, start the car and it sounded 20 times louder than ever along with a metallic noise... Slightly worried, I got on the floor and spotted a gasket hanging down from in between the downpipe and cat.. With that not being the catastrophic failure I thought it originally was, I decided to go around the block to have a taste of a slightly amplified "gundo" hack.. Once warmed up, I opened it up, wow, it sounded insane! I did a fly by past a friends house who thought I was driving some sort of race car :)

So now, collect all the new exhaust fixings and get the boxes gundo'd!
Another good shout on the heatsheilds, mine are a bit crusty!

Have you done the oil tandem pp by any chance?

Mark, Clamps available from the main dealers which are circa £19 each, these are the long sleeve clamps about 75mm long they come with bolts.
Check E Bay or a local engineering suppliers for stainless bolts, you want some M8 X 30 and M8 x 40 get some washers and spring washers.
Yes i have done the tandem pump.
You can PM your phone number if you wish and i can tell you about it, DIY job but bloody fiddly considering it is only 4 bolts.
Done nothing on mine this weekend apart from plug it into the C Tek, i have a new serpentine belt and oil and filter to change.
Cheers Jim.

Thanks again Jim!

I have ordered a pile of new bits! Stainless bolts, washers and nuts for the exhaust, new clamps, gaskets and stainless heatsheild bolts. Hoping to pop into OPC Byfleet tomorrow to order new heatshields, fuse box cover lid as mine has scuffs, fresh bolts/screws for arch liners and trim.. Want to price up new inner arch liners too as mine are a bit pebble dashed and tired..

I checked out my tandem pump and it looks and feels unharmed at the moment so I won't be changing that just yet, I will give it some form of protection though to prolong it's life from rust! I'll bare in mind your offer of help when the time comes, thanks!

Get some pics of yours up!

Not done anything with mine this week, it has sat under it's cover all week. :(

Mark,

Absolutely brilliant thread of information and pics :thumb: well done !
I know where to come when I need to fettle my 997.1 , thanks.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back