Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Where to look for rust on a 3.2

clarkycat said:
A lot of it of it you can't see without a ramp or without taking panels off:

kidney bowls, A pillars, B pillars, inner sill, behind front wings, behind rear wings, the front wings by the headlights, front wings behind the headlights, behind the rear lights, the windscreen scuttle, the rear hatch where the sunroof drains have rotted, under the battery, the impact bumper strut mounting points, the aluminium laminated bumpers and wing end sections, rear arch above the rear light clusters.

That's about £20k of bodywork, assuming the running gear and interior are spot on.

Forget a 'really good' bodyshop or someone that 'knows loads' about them, or a place that 'works on loads of Porsches'. Get an expert inspection by someone that knows classic Porsche bodywork inside out.

For me the latter found and showed me a good £8k worth of rot the former failed to find on their paid inspection.
:sad:

One that has had it all done, by the right place, with photos to prove is worth £10,000-£15,000 more than one that has not. That's why their prices are that far apart mate.

My 993 cost less to buy than my 3.2 needed spending on it's bodywork, true story, I did not get the right people to inspect it, don't buy with your heart.
:)

The plus is the impact bumper cars are the last real 911's, your can't park anywhere without people stopping to look and chat, nobody gives a stuff about the ten a penny mass produced everyday modern ones.

And they take decades to rot, four years on my bubbly old 3.2 is still being driven and enjoyed with none of the above 'needed' work done.
8)
20 K OF BODYWORK! blimey.Bring me your stripped out shell, and we will weld it, fill it, prime it and paint it in any shade you like for 12K!

coomo said:
20 K OF BODYWORK! blimey.Bring me your stripped out shell... etc...

Everyone would like a stripped out shell to work on.
:floor:

I was taking an entire car. It would then be dismantled by others. All four wings would be replaced, not welded, all sections would be cut out and replaced, bumper sections would be replaced, sills, pillars and scuttle would all be replaced, wings £800+ Bumpers the same, panels alone (Porsche not Dansk) were nearly £8k. Then fitting, then the car needs a respray, then all the stupidly expensive bits of black trim, then the whole thing putting back together...

I have not doubt a bit of welding on a stripped out shell would be way cheaper, that's not what was required though.
:thumb:

there is a nice 1988 3.2 for sale with PCGB Region 2, Gaurds Red Black leather, It's on Pistonheads at the moment to give you an idea of what people are asking for good ones.

pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-pre-89/porsche-911-3-2-carrera-sport-coup-1988-e/2899921

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back