Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

When to replace front brake discs? Min disc thickness for unknown brake discs?

spinnaker

Hockenheim
I have had my car for a couple of years and was considering what bits I might do before the next MOT in March. The previous owner replaced the rear discs and pads with fresh Brembo disc but not the front. I'll have to look back through the car's receipt history to see when the front brakes were last done. I don't know which manufacturer was used (I may find out from the history later) but I can see no markings on the disc bell or the rim of the disc telling me the min thickness. How do I go about finding out the min thickness to see if they need replacing or not?

Thread edited to stop folk having a thrombo.

Last edited:
What! Complete tosh! If you take your discs down to that level you're in big trouble!

Thats machining where the disc has been balanced

There's a min width spec for each car and disc, so a pair of calipers and you're set! From memory, the 997 is 34mm thick when new and 32mm is min thickness... But that's from memory so could be very wrong on the numbers!

There's a min width spec for each car and disc, so a pair of calipers and you're set! From memory, the 997 is 34mm thick when new and 32mm is min thickness... But that's from memory so could be very wrong on the numbers!
that is correct (y)
34mm new, 32mm minimum thickness

Alright keep your hair on.

It doesn't help this forums rating in technical information helpfulness
i believe it has cleared up an internet rumor with fact
2 birds with one stone

For reference I just took my brake disc off and took a photo. Land either side of the slot is between 1mm - 2mm, hence why I believed that was referencing the wear limit, as well as being told by a local mechanic and reading it on line. Back marker is slightly less as I just took a flick off it on my lathe cost the face looked a mess..

Photo to prove it happened. :ROFLMAO:

1706257609593.png

Last edited:
that is correct (y)
34mm new, 32mm minimum thickness
Perfect, thanks everyone. I measured the disc thickness with a micrometer earlier and one side is 38.3mm and the other was a fraction more. There looks to be plenty on the pads so I'll check back through the history but it sounds like they're fine for now.

I didn't mean to start a ruckus! I appreciate the help.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back