Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Unusual oil leak

Timing chain cover seals done. Cam cover gaskets done.

Now I have a 'new' leak that appears to originate from the mating faces of the crankcase halves. Although it is bottom dead centre so oil could just be ending up there but coming from somewhere else. See photos, any ideas?

Attachments

• 1e56fff7_13ce_4faa_83e0_6ceeb1e6aa49_142.jpeg
    1e56fff7_13ce_4faa_83e0_6ceeb1e6aa49_142.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,314
  • 1e56fff7_13ce_4faa_83e0_6ceeb1e6aa49_142.jpeg
    1e56fff7_13ce_4faa_83e0_6ceeb1e6aa49_142.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,314
It certainly could be a weep from the crank case seal. I came across exactly the same issue on one of my previous 993's, and it also became apparent after getting the cam cover gaskets replaced. From what I recall, it's very expensive to fix and therefore, unless oil is pouring out, then leave it be.

When I was selling the car (about 15 years ago) for £23k (those were the days.....), one potential buyer wanted £3k off the price after the leak was pointed out as part of an inspection!!!!

Oil can travel in mysterious ways so have a look for the source at the top of the engine by the temp sensor, the small oil filter, where the gearbox meets the engine (rear main), around the crankshaft seal (front main), oil return tubes and where the cylinders meet the case. All potential sources of a leak, but as above if it's only a few drops and everything else is well, then I wouldn't worry about. Also worth swapping to 10w40 if not already done so.

Having been told I had a minor or oil leak from cam cover/timing chain/crankcase I resolved to deal with it when the engine needed to come out. Then I had a bigger leak in front of the R rear wheel.

Nothing wrong with the filter/oil tank & I was advised to replace the oil filler tube. A relatively cheap part but a devil to fit as it threads through the R chassis leg.

Result: all oil leaks stopped.

Now after 26 years it's not surprising that the tube fails but Porsche in their wisdom fix this tube towards the bottom of the tank so if it perishes it WILL leak!

Plus if you've had your chassis legs welded it is difficult to protect the tube.

Hi

Ditto the suggestion to check the oil pressure sender area. Also the 4 oil drain tubes at the bottom of the engine need to be checked.

Best of luck

Berni

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back