Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Underbody corrosion - concern

Fatherdougal

Hi all

My 991.2 GTS is about to turn 6 years old, and was in for a health check. They pointed out pretty severe corrosion on the exposed underbody whilst up on the ramp - badly corroded bolts etc that look like they will never come off. He did say that for a car that age it was probably the worst they've seen (asked if I'd kept it near the sea for example - I haven't but can't vouch for previous owner...)

Couple of questions it would be great to get some advice on :

- Any idea if this is covered by the Porsche extended warranty that I have?
- They suggested steam cleaning and treating with Dinitrol to stop it getting any worse. Does anybody have any experience of this they could share? Would doing something like this have any impact on the warranty do you think?
- I've also had dry ice blasting before Dinitrol suggested - again, any experience with this would be much appreciated
- Someone else suggested just leaving it - not visible, unless parts need to come off seized bolts not a problem

Could really do with some advice, it's very concerning and again if anyone else has similar in a car this age would be great to hear!

Thanks

I think the rust warranty for body is possibly 10 years .
You should claim and see. :roll:

So 2012 991.1 here so few more years down road. Bolts seized aren't covered and I know sometimes group buy to replace bolts. Had to get brake lines replaced too. PSE valves both became knackered and they were covered.

For next car i would definately consider if getting any kind of coating is allowed underneath without breaking warranty

It's a common issue the mild steel used for the exhaust and stud hardware. They'er made out of chocolate and even though we have salted roads in winter that most manufacturers don't protect against other than bodywork they're consumable items :roll:

Personally I'd replace all the studs/bolts and then protect them with either Dinitrol or a Bilt Hamber product. There's a BH product Atom-Mac you can add to the rinse after washing that offers a protection.

There's been debate about replacing the cheap steel nuts/bolts with stainless or marine grade but I'm not sure about their heat expansion properties versus any warranty issues :dont know:

PSE valves are warranty items as they are moving parts I presume.

Fatherdougal said:
Hi all

My 991.2 GTS is about to turn 6 years old, and was in for a health check. They pointed out pretty severe corrosion on the exposed underbody whilst up on the ramp - badly corroded bolts etc that look like they will never come off. He did say that for a car that age it was probably the worst they've seen (asked if I'd kept it near the sea for example - I haven't but can't vouch for previous owner...)

OPC want £500 to replace my corroded exhaust bolts. I'm not sure which ones they included in the quote but the bad ones are the cats to front silencer. I think I'll get original bolts and replace them like for like (they've lasted 9 years).

Question I have is whether the gaskets should be replaced by default?

OP - you mentioned other corrosion on the exposed parts - did they expand on which parts - was it just the exhaust connections?

Good Post

Was just thinking about this yesterday as I was laid under my car repainting the little metal strip that is just under the rear bumper.

I have a 2012 C2, car is a daily user and not garaged , last year I had all the exhaust bolds replaced as they had all just corroded and fallen apart, I also cleaned up the rear suspension subframe and re-painted, looked at it yesterday and it needs doing again

Had to replace the Cam Hall Sensor last year, soon as tried undoing the bolt it just snapped off

A friend had a 4 year old 992, looked under that and all the sump bolds were rusting away, not too impressed with Porsche on this

Car is in for a service next month and gonna ask what the cost and if its worth some form of rust prevention for underneath, would also be interested if anybody else has had this done and what sort of cost they paid

Many Thanks

Ian

OttoOtto said:
OPC want £500 to replace my corroded exhaust bolts. I'm not sure which ones they included in the quote but the bad ones are the cats to front silencer.

OP - you mentioned other corrosion on the exposed parts - did they expand on which parts - was it just the exhaust connections?

Independent near me called Friends Green Porsche have featured that exact repair on one of their YouTube videos. My exhaust flange bolts are pretty bad too. Would like to get it sorted at some point. Tail pipe bolt assembly also quite corroded (PSE).

I'd also be interested what other parts are corroded on the OPs car as I wouldn't necessarily consider fasteners as the underbody.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back