Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre advice/recommendations urgently required please

JonnyG

Silverstone
I'm in the process of buying a 2015 Boxster 981 GTS from an OPC. They are replacing all four tyres and have offered the option of either Pirelli or Continental. I asked for Michelin however they said the N rated rear tyres are not available from Michelin. I wanted Michelin because I think they are a little quieter and better in the wet than the Pirelli. I have no experience of Continental. Can anyone offer their opinion on Continental v Pirelli (or A N Other) or is their little to choose? Any advice or would be appreciated. Thanks

I have Continental N Rated tyres on my 996 - I would say they're 7 out of 10 across the board, certainly nothing to write home about. My experience of the higher end Pirellis is certainly more inspiring for a sports car but I haven't felt them on a decent 911 or Boxster.

I wouldn't get caught up on the N rated stuff. I only did because they were on a special offer and thought I'd give them a try.

Thanks Arry. Unfortunately OPCs will only supply N rated tyres and they will be paying for them!

I take it they are saying that they can't source the N0 rated Michelins PS4S in 265/35 R20 rather than them not being an option for your car.

My 981 GTS had Michelin PS4S all round so they are made.

I would say that both Continentals and Pirelli are both very much inferior to the PS4S, so possibly worth trying to source some for the OPC to buy.

Just get them to reduce the price you pay by £800 and sort the tyres yourself.

Have you tried Black Circles ....... I quite recently got four Michelin N rated tyres from them for my Boxster S ...... just a thought.

I've just had a message from the OPC that they have been able to source and order the Michelins.
Thank you everyone for your input 👍

Glad they can get the Michelins, would always be my first choice. :thumb:

Good luck with your new car, and look forwards to seeing some pics and hearing your initial feedback on the GTS.

Jonny, did you ever get your 981GTS Boxster?
How is it going?

Hi. Yes I picked up my new (to me) car in Nottingham on Tuesday and drove it back to Suffolk with a smile on my face. Unfortunately we've been busy since so it's not been out again since. It's a Guards Red 65 plate with less than 3500m on the clock. Like new. Spec includes:
- 4 new Michelin's
- Pdk
- reversing camera
- satin platinum wheels
- auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor
- folding doors mirrors
- adaptive 18 way seats
- cruise
- twin zone climate
- Bose/DAB
- Red chrono clock face

I've ordered a set of Zunsport grilled and a rubber rear boot liner, also some helicopter tape for inner wheel arches and door edges. I wish Porsche made the protective rear wind clear stone guards as found on the 911.

Can't wait to drive her more. I loved my 993 but after over 8 years of ownership wanted to change to something I'd drive more regularly. I'm sure I've found it!!👍

Well done, that's an excellent spec and super low mileage.:thumb:

My Cayman is a daily and does the job superbly as a commuter, with the aural delight of crackles and bangs in Sports+ mode when the urge arises. 8)

Health to drive and to enjoy many miles of happy motoring ahead. :lol:

DRZ911: Out of interest what fuel (or mixture of fuels) do you use in your Cayman?

JonnyG said:
DRZ911: Out of interest what fuel (or mixture of fuels) do you use in your Cayman?
Where I live, the best I can get is 97 RON, normally from BP, so that is what I use.
On a side note, have Pirellis fitted. Work fine when pushed hard in the dry. All other times, wet or dry, do not inspire so much. Looking forwards to a set of Michelin PS4S.

Michelin are the only way to fly IMO. Gutted they don't make the PS4 S in anything smaller than 19. Also the tyre recommended by Centre Gravity for road use with TDs.

As is Vpower from Shell. My other half's car has a proper highly strung engine (it is Turbo'd), you can honestly feel it when the car is run with anything other than Vpower.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back