Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Two more niggles - Thoughts?

v6matt

Silverstone
So as I solve one niggle, a couple more emerge ! What are people thoughts on these....

1) As the alloy wheel was off today, the tyre place showed me the wheel bolts. Oddly with Porsche bolts they have little cones that move attached to the bolt, a couple of these cones were perished and splitting the layers of the metal. I am guessing once they get into this shape people replace them? Because if these cones rust away...you have a loose wheel ? Or is this normal and they stay structurally sound ?

2) What is with the porsche leather steering wheel? It seems to be made of butter, I have a scag mark on one side and now the top is creasing (this happens everytime I take it to a garage, presumably as they manouvere it from the top of the wheel). Wedding rings are always an issue but this leather is very sensitive. Do people just get it recovered, or the cow on my wheel is just less performant?[/i]

The wheel nut collars do flake away. Porsche bolts are about 7 quid each but there are plenty of aftermarket options that are more than suitable.

Have your steering wheel recovered by Royal Steering Wheels, makes the world of difference and you can choose various leathers and stitching etc

golfprorich said:
The wheel nut collars do flake away. Porsche bolts are about 7 quid each but there are plenty of aftermarket options that are more than suitable.

Have your steering wheel recovered by Royal Steering Wheels, makes the world of difference and you can choose various leathers and stitching etc

:agree:

Wheel bolt corrosion is a very common feature on Porsche cars! Have a look here - http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=101123

I also used Jack @RSW to re-cover my old 997 wheel and I opted to have it made very slightly thicker (by covering over the original), which made it feel much nicer to hold IMHO :grin:

Attachments

• 20171021_114708_619.jpg
    20171021_114708_619.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 1,558
Thanks all !

So did everyone choose to change the leather on steering wheel due to the ease in which it gets damaged and/or aesthetic preference

v6matt said:
Thanks all !

So did everyone choose to change the leather on steering wheel due to the ease in which it gets damaged and/or aesthetic preference

Just wear really plus the standard wheel is too thin for my liking. So had it fattened up, perforated sides and it was like driving a new car. About £150 from memory 👍🏻

v6matt said:
Thanks all !

10+ years of constant use from oily / dirty hands inevitably has an effect on the leather. You can always clean and de-grease it , then re-colour / repair the scratches if you prefer, but it will never be like new again. A re-trim is not overly complicated / expensive.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back