Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Side light bulbs 997.1 Turbo

vlad

Sao Paulo
Hi, noticed that the passenger side DRL bulb seems to have failed on my 997.1 Turbo.

Is this a replaceable part? (if so is there an LED version of the bulb) The unit itself still functions as an indicator, its just the DRL bulb (the outermost bulb as you look at the unit) that has failed.

My car has always been configure to have this bulb on when the ignition is on (is that standard) - so its been on for quite a lot of operating hours!

What benefit do the aftermarket DRL's give, is it that the whole row of bulbs acts as the DRL instead of just the outermost bulb?

Added pain in that I have the Zunsport grills fitted

Thanks

Your thread title confused me as the 997.1 Turbo doesn't have DRLs.

The row of LED lights are the indicators.

The end light on the same unit is a side light and is a separate bulb.

OK - but the way that side lights can be configured is as a DRL? is this an option through PCM? My 'side lights' come on with the ignition and can't be switched off.

Thanks though re: it is a separate bulb... and therefore can be replaced ?

If you have Sports Chrono the lights can be set up in the PCM to come on when the ignition is switched on but afaik it also includes dipped beam, not just the side lights. This is as near to DRLs as Porsche got in 2006. :D

Hi Vlad

I recently replaced 997.1 TT (sidelight) bulbs with LEDs... had a hell of a job finding ones to work without dash faults ... the CANbus on the turbo seemed very temperamental and it wasn't as easy pleased as other cars

After trying around 10 different sets these from stripey elite eBay store worked a treat ...

https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/2-x-T10...var=640610736622&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Perfect match for the dipped beam its made a huge difference to the front end, at just over £5 a pair you cant go wrong. :thumb:

just to close it off, well as I suspected getting the Zunsport grills off was a PITA. not sure I'll bother re-fitting.
Though they have clearly been doing their job in 10K miles the rads look like new and no debris.
Anyway with the grills out of the way, its easy to release the sidelight/indicator cluster......but why oh why do they only have about 1cm of slack in the wires to the bulb holders :gunfire:
You need tiny hands to get to and twist to remove the sidelight bulb holders!

With lots of patience and going slow finally manged to release and replace the failed bulb with the new LED version (obvs. did the other side also to match).

Top tip J80 EWN on those LED side light bulbs - no CANbus errors (which without your recommendation I would have avoided) - thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geoff993
Back