Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sanding and buffing headlights

Newbe

Montreal
I've been considering for sometime sanding and buffing my faded headlights. I tried using normal cleaning products but I found within a day they looked faded again. I watched some videos on sanding and buffing but considering the cost if I muck it up I didn't fancy it.

Today I finally plucked up the courage, or stupidity, to give it a go. I tried making my own buffing wheel and using some free shed products . Didn't really turn out that well so I ended up buying a buffing wheel, compound and head light sealer. I sanded with 800 , 1200, 1500, 2500 and 3000 grit wet and dry. Then buffed with a foam buffing wheel and compound. Finally finished with a turtle wax head light sealer. They turned out ok, I made this short video.

https://youtu.be/n1eD5ozfEIc

Some pics of the finished product

Attachments

• 52de2293_8c53_4eee_9550_41afcff0970e_116.jpeg
    52de2293_8c53_4eee_9550_41afcff0970e_116.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 5,426
Nice work, I noticed the lacquer (or whatever the exposed top layer is) on mine is failing in parts, can't see any other way around it than to sand it all off and then coat with something UV protective. Perhaps a wrap might do the job, but even then I'd probably put some sort of UV inhibitor on.

Cool vid, it takes minerals to go at your headlights like that!

Used a wool pad on mine - little less aggressive

49758198382_83faed4903_b.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't use a wool pad on mine as the scratches were too deep and there appeared to be a film over the top.

It's worth a go if you can get away with it. TBH sanding was a last resort for me. To a professional it was probably nothing, to me it was a bit nerve racking.

I bought a kit off the net to do mine, they provide you with a few grades of sand paper and some polishing compound.
I found after a bit of trial and error that you should start with a 1200 W/Dry then work your way up to the 2500 W/Dry.
A proper MOP is an absolute god send as a drill with a pad just took hours.

I was given some fluid to coat my lights with but you have to expose it to direct sunlight for it to go off, it's the same stuff they repair windscreens with.
In the end I was doing a ceramic coat so I just used a few coats of that instead.

Lights look like new now.

To ensure long-lasting UV protection, I think you'll need to apply urethane clear coat once it has been polished.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back