Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replacement key - any alternative to OPC?

pothole

Spa-Francorchamps
Are there any alternatives to getting violated for £2.50 worth of electronics and five minutes coding work at an OPC in terms of replacing a lost key for 997 / 987 cars?

OPC Bristol want £468 for full replacement or £296 just for the head with coding. £170 for a blade!

There are services that will replace the blade for cheap, I think, but the head?

Also, if I turn up at an OPC with a blade I have had cut, are they going to be difficult about it?

Sorry, also am I right in saying that there are no electronics etc in the key blade itself?

So, if Porsche refuse to work with the pattern blade I have cut, I could get them to replace the head / fob on my existing key and return the existing head / fob to me, which I could then fit to the blade I have had cut?

997.1? Do you have your IPAS codes? OPC Bristol should give them to you if not. I've never done an 997 but should be able to do the programming on a new fob for you if you fancy giving it a go, am in BS25. Think a fob is about £170. Then key blade obviously pretty cheap elsewhere.

If you just want to be able to open and start the car, I should probably be able to code a blank immobiliser pill for you but would need IPAS codes (could poss extract from the PAS module but this would be faff) - I've never tried this either. But not sure about the alarm, never looked at a 997 one.

Thanks. It's a 987.2.. What would be the charge?

I posted in the 997 forum as obvs it's the same car really and there's more footfall in this forum than the Boxster Cayman areas!

No charge, but I've also not done one before so can't promise it will work - if you could find a cheap used keyhead we could give that a go with piwis as I don't think there are any codes on the key involved unlike the older cars and the PAS learns the key/transponder. Maybe someone on here can confirm whether that works or not...

mark pearce said:
I ve always been told you can only code a key once and you can't reprogram an old key to a different car
On a 997? 997 keys don't have/aren't supplied with any code and the PAS module learns the transponder/alarm code which is why I'm assuming a used key should be fine, certainly for the alarm - you might need a blank immo pill but they're only a few quid...

Tim_s said:
No charge, but I've also not done one before so can't promise it will work - if you could find a cheap used keyhead we could give that a go with piwis as I don't think there are any codes on the key involved unlike the older cars and the PAS learns the key/transponder. Maybe someone on here can confirm whether that works or not...

OK, thanks. I have a new blade on order. I'll have a think about the rest!

No second hand key from models 996 onwards can be coded to another car .

Once a key has been coded .. even if done incorrectly so that it doesn't work it Can Not be used again and is junk .

A blank Pil is interesting and logically it should work .. unless Porsche have designed in a coded pil on a new key fob which the car then accepts and then rewrites ..

I don't know there as i've never tried .

The above is only if using Piwis .. if using a clone tool then again i don't know .

To obtain the IPAS codes you will need the V5 of your car plus a drivers license .. Take it into an OPC and ask for the codes .. you might have to pay .. not sure , but they are your property .. you just have to prove you own the car basically .

To obtain the IPAS codes for a second hand control unit you need the same or a note of scrappage .. in reality .. you won't get the codes for a second hand control unit these days ... ie dme / alarm cu combo .

We used to but Porsche changed the rules .

997 and using the IPAS codes .. there are several you use to code on the transponder .. after this is done you insert the key in the ignition and press and hold any fob button for 5 seconds .. this teaches the fob .

EDIT ..

Sometimes when coding on 2 keys the second one will fail .. the work around is to say you are coding 3 .. the first 2 will work then skip the third .

Been a long time, but I can code transponder pills from a used key on a 996!

Is it the transponder or the remote that doesn't work on a used key on a 997 on piwis? As per my previous, my understanding is the PAS learns the remote and so would expect there's no way the PAS could tell whether a remote has already been synced to another PAS. If so and it's the transponder not the remote that's problematic, should be easily worked around with unlocking or new pill etc.

Try the AA or RAC.

I'd give PixelsFixed a call - good guy, just replaced both my 996.2 fobs as both circuits had failed

I think he cuts keys as well as repairs fobs. At any rate, he's expert in this stuff and can probably give you a definitive answer on how to proceed - he's both friendly and knowledgeable

https://m.facebook.com/pixelsfixed/

@ Tim_s

I Have to admit i was thinking more 997 for the OP than the entire range so i wasn't quite correct .. :oops:

996 .. A Second hand fob cant be coded onto another car .. once first coded even if the incorrect number is inputted so that it doesn't work it is useless for anything else.

996 Pil .. yes you can but i don't really understand why you would want just this .. if lost keys with a locked car ( fob lock ) you will need to do a window .. the car will be stuck in alarm mode until a recognised fob is used to unlock .

With a key in the barrel to lock then it will lock but not secure lock meaning the operation of the inner door handle will open the door ... breaking in is easier basically .

You will also find you have 10 seconds to put the key in the ignition or the alarm will trigger and on some cars it will trigger as soon as you open the door . Passengers door will not unlock .

Anyways .. yes you can use a second hand pil but it will be a Valet key .

997 Pil .. it wont work.

997 Fob .. if you can't code the Pil then it wont work .

991 , Cayenne ( 2011 onwards ), Macan , Panamera , 981 ... it's a one piece key which HAS to be purchased from Porsche .. it then HAS to be coded by an OPC or an Indy that has access to the Porsche network .. this is called PXN for Indys and PPN for OPC and it's a process of connecting a tester to the car and the tester talks to Porsche .. this then codes it onto the car .

Back to the 997 .. i tried to code on 2 new keys a few months back .. they failed and nothing i could try would get them to code on .. into the office to be told they had been tried on another 997 but failed due to a coding issue ..

They are now paperweights .

I like the idea of fitting a new blank pil because if you can code the pil ( Transponder ) you can code the fob as this isn't done with a tester .

whether it works or not i can't say but i like the idea .

Btw .. if you can find a way to code a second hand key on then i would love to know as we have £400 of junk ones sitting around lol .

Ps .. check email .. i sent you something that may or may not be of use X 51 install on a 997.

Edit .. the above is for using a Piwis and not any other type of laptop .

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cchrysos
Back