Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Re-Mapping - what do we think?

llyamah said:
As someone who recently bought a 997 which I am concerned may have been re-mapped, how do I go about checking this?

If its of relevance I have just purchased (but not yet received) a Foxwell NT530 diagnostics tool - not sure if I can check using that?

A bit late .. sorry ..

Its very difficult to determine but one option is to look at the number of dme programming or programing attempts .. logically most cars out there will have never needed a Dme reprogram so if you see 2 or more then its an indication .

You would need a suitable tester though as i doubt the foxwell will be able to see this .

C2.1GTS.2 said:
I make this point all of the time.
Do not modify your 911 in any way shape or form.
You will only de value it.

Good lord heaven forbid people might have some individuality and passion for their car. Not everyone wants to be the stig so having a little more response or 'passing ability" is nothing to be ashamed of.

Cars are there to be enjoyed, be that tinkering or driving round circuits it doesn't matter and you should respect that.

Personally I love tinkering and if I followed your advice I'd be listening to radio one on my crappy pcm 2 rather than streaming Spotify on my CarPlay head unit I retrofitted into my 997.

I do agree with the map thing though. Rarely does it help bar with cams etc on an NA unless they raise the Rev limit which brings its own set of risks.

My own personal feelings are that people can modify their cars or keep ridgedly to standard ..

Each person will do with their cars what they wish and there shouldn't really be an argument about it .. its a personal choice and i can understand both sides ..

Its each to their own .. we all have different opinions in life .. one side is often no better than the other when you boil it down ... you can easily argue either side ..

For me i have to stick to standard .. it's my job .. but if you wish to mod the car than so be it ..

I will say that perhaps like overclocking a computer ( that's what i used do ) the life expectancy might be reduced a little .. push for more and reliability will drop .

A remap on a NA with no mods .. imho it's not worth it .. the benefit is too small compared to the cost .

I have spoken to suppliers of off the shelf remaps .. they haven't argued with me so far with regards to NA cars .

paul_mck said:
C2.1GTS.2 said:
I make this point all of the time.
Do not modify your 911 in any way shape or form.
You will only de value it.

Personally I love tinkering and if I followed your advice I'd be listening to radio one on my crappy pcm 2 rather than streaming Spotify on my CarPlay head unit I retrofitted into my 997.

This.

Carplay, spotify, google maps/waze and a speaker upgrade, time warped my 2005 car to 2020. Stupidly I lived with a PCM for way too long.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back