Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

LSD for 996.2 Carrera

CarPlebs

Trainee
Hi all,

There seems to be much misinformation on the net regarding LSD on PSM equipped cars online. I am prepping my 996.2 C2 manual for the track and I went on a test drive on a local track, you can feel so much the open diff. I have heard much about vawetrack and quaife etc. I would like a LSD diff for the car.

Does in interfere with PSM? How can I fully disable PSM while retaining ABS?

Also what is a good option that will also allow for some fun on the street (drifts) thanks!

Dick

I have one in mine, it came with the car but is not an option on my list and supposedly the Gen 2 doesn't require one because the PSM does that job but I do think it does actually work with the PSM and does not interfere.

I did a test with PSM on and PSM off with my LSD diff, it's not scientific but shows the differences.

infrasilver said:
I have one in mine, it came with the car but is not an option on my list and supposedly the Gen 2 doesn't require one because the PSM does that job but I do think it does actually work with the PSM and does not interfere.

I did a test with PSM on and PSM off with my LSD diff, it's not scientific but shows the differences.

Hmmm... awesome, I need to find out waht is the best aftermarket option.

I have looked into this alot, and IMHO you dont need one, I track my car regularly, a C2 running decent rubber has much more grip than power.

Unless you doing autocross with lots of small tight turns on a bump surface, or racing and looking for a 10th save your money, the car very rarely suffers from the unloaded wheel spinning up.

I feel there is more benefit to be had from an LSD under hard braking, than acceleration

Any ATB, Quaife, Wavetrak etc do nothing under braking, you need a plated diff, 996 40 Anniversary came with a LSD and PSM from the factory, the ramps/ratios are different from the 996 GT3 LSD that has no PSM.

ATB does not need to be serviced like a true plated LSD.

I would assume that most the plates of any cars coming from the factory with an LSD would be shot, Porsche do not sell replacement plates and you would need to source from a specialized like Guard in the US and rebuild the LSD as often as required. - This goes for any plated diff.

I spoke to NineX Motorsport about just this and they rate Kaaz diffs the best. They are a Japanese brand that built their reputation through drifting. It's a clutch type rather than gear differential.

crash7 said:
I have looked into this alot, and IMHO you dont need one, I track my car regularly, a C2 running decent rubber has much more grip than power.

Unless you doing autocross with lots of small tight turns on a bump surface, or racing and looking for a 10th save your money, the car very rarely suffers from the unloaded wheel spinning up.

I feel there is more benefit to be had from an LSD under hard braking, than acceleration

Any ATB, Quaife, Wavetrak etc do nothing under braking, you need a plated diff, 996 40 Anniversary came with a LSD and PSM from the factory, the ramps/ratios are different from the 996 GT3 LSD that has no PSM.

ATB does not need to be serviced like a true plated LSD.

I would assume that most the plates of any cars coming from the factory with an LSD would be shot, Porsche do not sell replacement plates and you would need to source from a specialized like Guard in the US and rebuild the LSD as often as required. - This goes for any plated diff.

You are wrong about Wavetrac, it does lock under braking. It will also lock a wheel off the ground - it has the best of both worlds, no need for servicing like other torque biasing diffs, but will act differently under certain conditions and lock up. They also provide a lifetime transferable warranty.

Guards are top of the tree, but it's a competition plate diff with compromises for road, i.e. noisy at low speed etc. requires servicing. I wouldn't run a plate diff on a road car.

Standard GT Porsche LSD's don't last, I have one in my box which I'm changing out.

I have read about loads of LSD's before I bought mine, OS Giken and others were known to fail on GTR's which put me off them, but then if you aren't running lots of power you'll be fine.

Read up on wavetrac and how it works, they are well priced, strong and a good choice for a road car.

http://wavetrac.net/technical.htm

I am not wrong about wavetrack, it does not offer the best of both worlds and does not perform under braking, they claim it does 'something' underbraking, but in practise it does not.

Its an ATB, not a true LSD.

crash7 said:
I am not wrong about wavetrack, it does not offer the best of both worlds and does not perform under braking, they claim it does 'something' underbraking, but in practise it does not.

Could you expand a bit on your argument, have you tried a Wavetrac unit yourself? I was considering one over a Quaife and would be disappointed if I spent the extra and it did not do what it claims.

I fitted a Quaife unit to my 968 and found it gave a huge increase in rear mechanical grip upon exit, great on greasy country roads, and plan to fit another TBD to my 996 for the same reason.

Flightrisk said:
crash7 said:

Could you expand a bit on your argument, have you tried a Wavetrac unit yourself? I was considering one over a Quaife and would be disappointed if I spent the extra and it did not do what it claims.

I fitted a Quaife unit to my 968 and found it gave a huge increase in rear mechanical grip upon exit, great on greasy country roads, and plan to fit another TBD to my 996 for the same reason.

He thinks that because its an ATB, that it works the same as a quaife. It doesn't. Here's a short video.

https://youtu.be/QEhLGe_M6XU

And a longer one

https://youtu.be/dpaZQGva6OQ

And an animation.

https://youtu.be/ElaMcoO_drg

Sim996, where do I state that? Your making assumptions bro!

Perhaps you could share your actually experience of a Wavetrack as oppose to the marketing speil! - Do you not have any?, or is your entire opinion based on the sales videos?

Flightrisk, this is a good summary

https://www.rrtransmissions.com/lsdstore/lsd-comparison

You will note that nothing is mentioned about any ATB's assisting under braking, which is what I have found, but I await sim996 data.

Not even Wavetracks own web-site states there are benefits under braking

https://wavetrac.eu/collections/996...xcl-gt-986-boxster-s-3-2l-6mt-clip-in-flanges

I bought a Wavetrack, as touched upon the promised benefits under braking and zero maintenance led me this way. - There was lots of feedback in the M3 forums about the Wavetrack not providing any benefit under braking, however they assured me it would provide some and provided the pretty marketing videos.

An expensive experiment later and it did NOT offer any benefits underbraking in my 996 . - Any benefits on circuit under power were not noticeable by feel or lap times, with most C2's having meagre power and torque, all the weight over the rear axle, and in my case coupled to a 295 Michelin Cup 2 go forward traction is not an issue.

It may have provide some difference on the odd occasion one wheel was off the ground due to riding kurbs, but not enough to be noticeable.

crash7 said:
Sim996, where do I state that? Your making assumptions bro!

Perhaps you could share your actually experience of a Wavetrack as oppose to the marketing speil! - Do you not have any?, or is your entire opinion based on the sales videos?

Flightrisk, this is a good summary

https://www.rrtransmissions.com/lsdstore/lsd-comparison

You will note that nothing is mentioned about any ATB's assisting under braking, which is what I have found, but I await sim996 data.

Not even Wavetracks own web-site states there are benefits under braking

https://wavetrac.eu/collections/996...xcl-gt-986-boxster-s-3-2l-6mt-clip-in-flanges

I bought a Wavetrack, as touched upon the promised benefits under braking and zero maintenance led me this way. - There was lots of feedback in the M3 forums about the Wavetrack not providing any benefit under braking, however they assured me it would provide some and provided the pretty marketing videos.

An expensive experiment later and it did NOT offer any benefits underbraking in my 996 . - Any benefits on circuit under power were not noticeable by feel or lap times, with most C2's having meagre power and torque, all the weight over the rear axle, and in my case coupled to a 295 Michelin Cup 2 go forward traction is not an issue.

It may have provide some difference on the odd occasion one wheel was off the ground due to riding kurbs, but not enough to be noticeable.

I have one for my turbo but haven't fitted it. I had one in my Westfield and it was great, very positive in the rear and removed the shortcomings of the quaife I had in a FWD car which was power shuffling. Very unnerving when it starts and is the reason I won't go with a quaife ATB, but I don't want a clunky plate diff in a road car. If it was a track car, I might consider it.

Interesting subject, I've got a 996.2 without psm and I'm considering rpm technics plated lsd

I did a quaife unit in my C2S

With 295 rubber on the rear you have to be going some on the road in the dry to make it work. Slippery conditions and it's excellent.

I went quaife for the fit and forget type approach rather than need to service service a plated version.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geoff993
Back